Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2024, 10:16 PM   #1

safety features

Hi Folks,
Newbie here. Well, I donít have a bus yet. Concerned about safety features. I seen ones with a driverís airbag, but wondered if newer models (say 2015 and later) have things like cruise control, warning sound when someone is in your blind spot, automatic braking to prevent collisions? If they donít have these features, can they be added and has anyone done that? TIA

Theashmea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 01:29 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Anything can be added if you're creative and willing to spend the money.

Blind-spot detection is a big ask, but that's what those mirrors are for.

Cruise control is much easier to get done, adaptive cruise control is probably much more of a "big ask", though.

Airbags are kind of a waste, though, as a properly-built skoolie is going to weigh so much that it will go through anything you're about to hit--unless you're getting hit in such a way that it wouldn't really matter, like from the side or the like. Also it's not like in a car where you've got enough space around the driver to mount them in all the right places. That's just all physics and basic engineering.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 06:55 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
electronics my fun thing to do... I have all those fun features on both of my cars..

can you add them to a bus?
airbag.. in a van cutaway yes you'll have one.. some of the newest busses like the latest C2 and IC have them.. but you dont really want busses that new...

adaptive cruise - this type of system requires a lot of moving parts.. there are DIY groups out there for Level 2 self driving.. but ultimately for adaptive cruise to work properly it needs to control not only the throttle, but the braking system as well..

the WABCO brake controller thats on the hydraulic IC busses from about 2010 till ?? is probably capable, however that controller was known to be very problematic, very expensive, and very hard to find parts for.. I wouldnt want it..

pseudo adaptive cruise.. meaning throttle only.. the electronic engines are drive by wire and the factory built in cruise is simply a setpoint offered to the ECM... you could build a box that would up and down the setpoint of the ECM cruise effectively raising and lowering the speed.. that part is pretty easy.. it needs to actuate the Accel and Decel buttons on the dash.. simply 1/2 second switch presses.. but again, no braking so it wont adapt to someone pulling in front of you or quickly slowing traffic like the adaptive cruise on your car does..

sensing the vehicle distance.. there are 2 schools of thought in play today.. one is using LIDAR or Ultrasonic sensors and the other is using Cameras.. most systems use both..

there are all kinds of things sold on amazon these days that claim blind spot detection, cameras, etc..

you will need to build and write the software to control things.. none of this is going to be buy a product and bolt it on, with the exception of cameras.. there are plenty of blindspot camera systems sold for RV's that would help you with blindspots and backing up, etc... you'll find though with properly adjusting your mirrors (its pretty easy to find busses with dual powered mirrors on each side).. you can get it where you dont lose cars.. I keep my front pedestrian mirrors instead of rip em off like many here do.. shows the crossview on my hood nicely for tight squeezes up front..

I love this stuff asnd enjoy building and playing with off-the-wall tech, however if you arent handy with electronics and software you arent likely to get these features unless you buy a 2020 or newer bus.. I know the IC's of 2020+ offer collision avoidance and lane detection.. however most of the drivers using it find it cumbersome and doesnt work well.. a brand new bus will cost you over a hundred grand unless you can find a dealer that will piggyback your order onto a district order.. (and it will take you a year to get)..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Anything can be added if you're creative and willing to spend the money.

Blind-spot detection is a big ask, but that's what those mirrors are for.

Cruise control is much easier to get done, adaptive cruise control is probably much more of a "big ask", though.

Airbags are kind of a waste, though, as a properly-built skoolie is going to weigh so much that it will go through anything you're about to hit--unless you're getting hit in such a way that it wouldn't really matter, like from the side or the like. Also it's not like in a car where you've got enough space around the driver to mount them in all the right places. That's just all physics and basic engineering.

Hello Albatross,
Thank you for this information! It was very helpful! I will keep you in mind when we get our bus if there are any electrical needs. Where are you located?
Old 03-17-2024, 10:49 AM   #5

Wow Cadillackid!!!
Very thorough response. I so appreciate your time and expertise. This is very helpful! I’m sure this was helpful for others as well.
Thanks!

Tags
air bags, safety features