Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 07:18 PM   #1

School Bus Seat Rails

I plan on getting a school bus in the near future. I've done most of my research, but I cant find an answer to this question anywhere. Are bus seat rails standard? I plan on taking out a majority of the seats but still having 3-5 rows for any passenger needs. Would more comfortable charter bus seats just slot right in? Or would I have to remove and replace the seat rails currently within the bus.

Curlyawesomeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
On BlueBird buses, the seat rails on the walls are part of the overall structure and should not be removed. You may attach seats to them using whatever brackets you need, or attaching to the floor (I'd put some washers underneath). Others are probably similar.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
On BlueBird buses, the seat rails on the walls are part of the overall structure and should not be removed. You may attach seats to them using whatever brackets you need, or attaching to the floor (I'd put some washers underneath). Others are probably similar.
I respectfully disagree. There is a horizontal frame behind the rails, and the rainls are held in place with barely a thread per bolt, and not that many bolts. At least in mine. I took all that apart to get the windows out. I like my rails, and re-installed them.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

This has already been discussed before on this forum. Perhaps you are thinking of a different chair rail?

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/ch...emma-9225.html

On the Blue Bird website, in this image you can see the floor and chair rail in place as a worker installs the roof bows and longitudinal framework:

https://www.blue-bird.com/images/bus-frame.png

My own Blue Bird bus has similar rails on both walls for attaching seats. They are not simply bolted in, they are very securely riveted.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

To answer the OP's question, other brands of buses may have different chair rail securement methods (some are indeed simply bolted in) and I also plan to swap the seats in mine for something much more comfortable. I'll attach mine to the floor, or factory seat rail, fabricating brackets if I need to.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:58 AM   #6

Thanks guy! Its unfortunate that there is no industry standard, but with my prior experience, I imagine fabricating something to make it work should be easy. My plan is either a used international or ford E series, which afaik use the same seating rails as school buses.
Curlyawesomeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
This has already been discussed before on this forum. Perhaps you are thinking of a different chair rail?

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/ch...emma-9225.html

On the Blue Bird website, in this image you can see the floor and chair rail in place as a worker installs the roof bows and longitudinal framework:

https://www.blue-bird.com/images/bus-frame.png

My own Blue Bird bus has similar rails on both walls for attaching seats. They are not simply bolted in, they are very securely riveted.

Oh, I was thinking of the wheelchair tracks that run above the windows. They are the same as the tracks that are used to mount seats on the floor in my handybus. That was what I thought the OP was talking about.

There is another "chair rail" along the wall under the windows that is, yes, very substantial to the build of the body's structural framework, and is riveted in. Yes, leave them in your bus. In my head, I call it a "flange," but "rail" works also.

Thanks for the clarity!
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:37 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Wow, what happened to that person who cut out part of their chair rail? That is really unfortunate.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:47 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
OP,

I don't know what state you live in. Some States require a CDL if you have seating for 16 or more including the driver.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus seats, seat, seat rails