Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2020, 02:55 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE3000
Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466
Rated Cap: 84 Passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassNthru View Post
I found a place in San diego that purchased school busses from the districts.. they have a lot!
Mind sharing some more details with your skoolie friends? ;)

Ronigbzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:11 AM   #22
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE3000
Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466
Rated Cap: 84 Passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
It is a little more time consuming to locate a smaller bus, because school systems use the larger buses for a majority of their transportation needs. A school system may have 20 full-size buses and just one or two short buses. So the short buses come up for rotation in smaller quantities.
Now if you are concerned that a larger bus will be so much harder to park, a maneuver, and drive down the road, that really is not the case. It takes a little practice. You've got to learn to use your mirrors. But it's not something that you can't learn and become very comfortable with.
Some smaller buses may get a little bit better gas mileage or fuel mileage then the larger buses equipped with the same engine and transmission, but it's not a huge difference.
The advantage to buying a full-size bus versus a smaller bus comes down to a better selection available buses and lower-cost. The smaller buses being more rare also command a better price at The Auction Block.
You would be surprised at the turning radius have an 84 passenger bus. And even the largest rear engine bus will fit easily into parking spaces end-to-end at Walmart. Our 1998 International am trans rear engine bus is an 84 passenger version. It is our house and also our car. We drive it downtown to the post office, to Walmart, to the laundromat, well, anywhere that you would go in your Honda Civic.
You bring up some great points. I really don't mind learning how to maneuver a full size bus. I'm a good driver, I'm sure I'll pick it up. Nor do I mind the gas mileage that much, as long as it's within reason.

Finally, I would just looooove the extra space. I've already made rough plans for my dream house based on something like a 26' bus, which I understand is common for mid-size. If I could get a full size 40' one instead, wow, that would mean and extra 14' of dreams! I would love that.

The only thing I'm worried about right now with buying a full size instead of mid-size is that I want to be flexible as possible in my life style. So for example, I heard that a lot of parks and camping grounds do not like full size buses. I also might want to bring the bus around New York city occasionally during the year, and NY is not just any old town. On the other hand, I imagine even driving a mid-size bus through Manhattan is hellish experience so maybe it doesn't really make that much of a difference, cause in that case imma just leave the bus outside the city and take public transportation. What do you think? I'm actually on the verge of convincing myself into buying a full size bus instead of mid-size. It might be a wiser choice indeed.
Ronigbzjr is offline   Reply With Quote