Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2019, 09:30 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Seat Belt locked up

Ok guys, Need some help here. I'm trying to re-utilize the driver's seatbelt in my 1997 International 3800 w/body by Bluebird. Its one of the dog-nose models. The problem I'm running into is that the owner prior to my purchase removed the seatbelt completely and put it in a box. During the time it's been stored with the rest of the bits and bobs in that box, it's curled up on the take up reel to where there isn't much room left to go. And I can't get the catches in either side to release so that I can unfurl it and use like it was made to be use. Does anyone have any suggestions? I got QUITE frustrated with it today and that was enough to make me leave it hanging by the mount point on the wall until I can get the bleeping ratchet's in the sides of the reel to release so I can even connect the bolt that goes into the floor, not to mention allow me to use it like a regular seat belt!

Help Please?

Joe

JPCoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Can't help you on the front belt, but I just realized I have a full tub filled with seat belts from the 97 TC2000, free to anyone who wants them. I'll post them in the classifieds.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Seat Belt problems

Good Idea on that o1Marc. I am actually also contemplating acquiring an air ride seat to make the ride more pleasurable just have no clue on to install of those expensive buggers and The Seatbelt for me is gonna be step one I think.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Contact salvage yards, they often re-purpose school bus bodies as storage sheds and may have bits and pieces left from one they stripped. I'm not sure if these are supplied by the incomplete chassis manufacturer (Navistar, Ford, GM), or the bus body manufacturer (Blue Bird, Thomas, Ward), but I'm thinking the seat belt parts you speak of are fairly generic.

If you want an air-ride seat, you might consider contacting a heavy truck salvage yard and getting the goodies from a Freightliner, Peterbilt, etc. Most of those probably have the same type of seat belt, just make sure you get both ends to be sure. May need to have it cleaned, most truckers are heavy smokers. But any good detailer can make it like it never happened, especially if they have an ozone machine. Might be minor detail differences in mounting, but it should work just fine. Also, any truck repair shop can install this for you, you may even be able to get the lines and junctions from the donor truck to make it easier.

If you go that route, you might consider scavenging sleeper / bunk trim and parts, a lot of those trucks have awesome storage cabinets and the bunk bed platforms swing up sort of like a Murphy bed with storage underneath, could be a cool way to build in storage. Most of those platforms take a twin mattress, BTW.

EDIT: I do know of an early 80s Blue Bird on a Ford chassis near me that will soon be used for such a storage shed. 8.2 Detroit and Lucas-Girling brake system, so that is pretty much all it is good for at this point. I'm in Virginia, though, not sure if that is close to you. If it fits into my travels, I could ask the guy what he wants for the seat belt assembly if it will work. This bus has got to be around a 1982 or 1983, but could be as new as 1989.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I found out later all auto makers are not the same. I had an issue with the seat belt not retracting correctly on my CRX. I found out that Honda warrantees the belts for the life of the vehicle , no matter who owns it or mileage. They replaced both front belts free. Had to make a prior appointment and leave the car with them a day. I thought it was a Federal thing, but apparently other manufacturers don't follow that practice. It should be a Federal requirement.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:50 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
Drivers seatbelt broke on my Thomas bus and I called the dealer for a new one and it was like $500!! I’m just waiting till I find a used bus to scavenge off of and just using the lap part in the meantime.
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCoolBus View Post
During the time it's been stored with the rest of the bits and bobs in that box, it's curled up on the take up reel to where there isn't much room left to go. And I can't get the catches in either side to release so that I can unfurl it and use like it was made to be use. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Joe,

The retraction "box" is position dependent. My wife and I went to the dealer to get one for the passenger seat the other day. We pulled it out of the box and could not get it to release and retract. It would pull out, just not go in. So ... we READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and they said the unit must be oriented vertically up or down depending on the model. If they are turned side to side or off of verticle (within a certain number of degrees) they lock up. This is a safety feature. If the vehicle is tilted beyond a certain amount, the manufacturer figures the wearer of the belt needs to be restrained 'cause the vehicle is most-likely in an accident.

This *could* be the problem you are having with the retraction device on your belt.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:12 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've got a few extra seat belts from various buses if anyone wants them. They're free to a good home.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've got a few extra seat belts from various buses if anyone wants them. They're free to a good home.
Any idea if one would fit a 2001 Thomas MVP? If it might I’d love one!
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:13 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bon Voyage View Post
Any idea if one would fit a 2001 Thomas MVP? If it might I’d love one!
I'll get some pics of what I've got this afternoon.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Joe,

The retraction "box" is position dependent. My wife and I went to the dealer to get one for the passenger seat the other day. We pulled it out of the box and could not get it to release and retract. It would pull out, just not go in. So ... we READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and they said the unit must be oriented vertically up or down depending on the model. If they are turned side to side or off of verticle (within a certain number of degrees) they lock up. This is a safety feature. If the vehicle is tilted beyond a certain amount, the manufacturer figures the wearer of the belt needs to be restrained 'cause the vehicle is most-likely in an accident.

This *could* be the problem you are having with the retraction device on your belt.

FACEPALM!!! I wish I had thought of that! It's been nearly 20 years since I've done work on my own vehicles and yeah I remember working on some seatbelts over the years! They get you EVERY time! I will definitely try this as it will prevent a 60 mile trip to the Bus Graveyard in Alto Georgia!