Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I was being quite generous.
I saw a really lackluster conversion on ebay the other day. Asking 75 grand!

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
What is PT Barnum's infamous quote..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Old 06-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dèsirée View Post
—-
I’m originally from Dix Hills, now in Medford, but until 2017 in Patchogue.
Are you from Long Island? I also lived in the North Shore. And I worked in New York City most of my life and until World Trade.
My elderly aunt lives near Mattituck, and she's currently paying something like $900 a week for an attendant to just sleep in her house overnight (my aunt has a strong tendency to fall down). I thought maybe if you were qualified to sort of tend to older people you could arrange at least a temporary living situation. I can't speak for my aunt, of course.

We (the family) has actually considered having me stay at her house while I work on my bus, but I'm not 100% on board with this. Fortunately it's taken me many months just to get my bus to the point where I can legally drive it, and now I still definitely do not feel confident enough driving it to where I would go from Philly to LI without having a nervous breakdown.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:25 PM   #44
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Waiting to call Best buy after they open in a few. Found something reasonably serviceable that likely can be had today, yay.
Pretty sure the astrological explanation was on another of your threads...
You want numbers? Only got this one, 3.14159265359.
mmmmmmmm... pi-iiiiiiiii...
—-
Funny u should mention that. I once applied the golden ration to a sequence of past drawings, and almost had a heart attack when the result was the same numbers that followed that consequently followed. The past drawings were selected at random. I did three samplings.

With a very loud pounding heart, I escalated my findings to an accountant friend of mine. After showing the three samples with all the equations intact, I preceded to select a random past drawing, but the equation failed as a whole. And only partial segments of sequence appeared in the total sum! Got to run, doctor waiting!
Dèsirée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Did you try using Avagadro's Number?
May not work, but at least you'll have some kick-a$$ guacamole, plus take care of that annoying mole..!
Old 06-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #46
Skoolie

Quote:
——
Even that is out of my budget! The RVs I have looked at are over $100k plus they just look sooo big for little me! And the campers, hate them inside.

BTW, was trying to respond from the skoolie site, but they cut me off, saying “did not have permission to be on that page” or something to that effect... And that’s the second time, the site has cut me off.

Now to the ridiculously part, it showed, I was logged in.

I’m answering from my gmail addy, and who knows if it will post.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:37 PM   #47
Skoolie

Youuuuu rrrrrrr funnyyyyyy!

And BTW the skoolie site keeps cutting me off if I stay on for too long.
Old 06-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Youuuuu rrrrrrr funnyyyyyy!

And BTW the skoolie site keeps cutting me off if I stay on for too long.

they seem to think l live here - even turn the lights on for me at night - lol
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:49 PM   #49
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My elderly aunt lives near Mattituck, and she's currently paying something like $900 a week for an attendant to just sleep in her house overnight (my aunt has a strong tendency to fall down). I thought maybe if you were qualified to sort of tend to older people you could arrange at least a temporary living situation. I can't speak for my aunt, of course.

We (the family) has actually considered having me stay at her house while I work on my bus, but I'm not 100% on board with this. Fortunately it's taken me many months just to get my bus to the point where I can legally drive it, and now I still definitely do not feel confident enough driving it to where I would go from Philly to LI without having a nervous breakdown.
——
Hello musigenesis... Mattituck is a lovely area of the east end. How old is your aunt? And during the day, someone takes care of her? Having a cat would probably present a problem, unless she’s an animal lover.

But, I soooooo appreciate you thinking of me and your kind intentions. Should you bring your bus here, you will definitely enjoy the East End of Long Island.

And about that nervous breakdown you mentioned, I have a miniature one, just from going on this site and being cut off if I stay on too long!!!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #50
Skoolie

Quote:
Did you try using Avagadro's Number?
May not work, but at least you'll have some kick-a$$ guacamole, plus take care of that annoying mole..!
—-
No did not think Chemistry would lead to a plausible theorem that could be applied! Plus i’m a Fibonacci fan... maybe I should go back and retry again!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #51
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
they seem to think l live here - even turn the lights on for me at night - lol

Hahahaha... like motel 6... I hope they give you coffee too!
Old 06-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #52
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
——
Even that is out of my budget! The RVs I have looked at are over $100k plus they just look sooo big for little me! And the campers, hate them inside.

BTW, was trying to respond from the skoolie site, but they cut me off, saying “did not have permission to be on that page” or something to that effect... And that’s the second time, the site has cut me off.

Now to the ridiculously part, it showed, I was logged in.

I’m answering from my gmail addy, and who knows if it will post.

When you said you wanted to buy a bus and have someone do the conversion for you, that would suggest your budget must be pretty ample to do that if unable to do it yourself. What amount did you have in mind for the whole project? These things aren't built in a week and each trade will eat up your funds rapidly. Are you still sure about this route?
I can see 40 grand easy in your case and much more. That amount might get you barebone fish hut luxury.

John
Old 06-04-2019, 04:39 PM   #53
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:

Hahahaha... like motel 6... I hope they give you coffee too!

I meant to mention that to them, I have to make my own coffee

( that reminds me of another story that I won't bore you with here, only to say that as I left the hotel, ( I - - - - - - ) I hope they learned that someone road weary that books in late at night should be allowed to have a cup of coffee that is obviously hot and ready to serve 15 feet from the check in desk - lol )
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:00 PM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
Right now, the fine weather with Summer simmering on the back burner, it seems that the increased demand for RVs, much like motorcycles, will result in a seller's market.
Not helpful now, but Winter is the optimal time to purchase either of the aforementioned.
With K-12 letting out presently, there'll soon be a glut of ungutted busses on the market.
'Course, then the problem becomes finding the grunt labor to strip it to the foundations, and then a qualified individual to install all the requisite mods.
Gawd forbid anything worth having be easy...
—-

Just saw this now, of course from Tapatalk, ‘cause skoolie.net keeps cutting me off.

I must have violated the bylaws by calling on the skoolie Gods when the site clearly noted to leave religion out of the skoolie door!

For the actual conversion, I was in touch with Rachel at skoolie.com and I was so excited when I discovered her, I had forgotten, I still didn’t have the yellow metal!

Not much has changed since then!
Old 06-04-2019, 05:02 PM   #55
Skoolie

Quote:
Both the ones I linked are less than $40k.
One is $29k. About what an un-insulated quickie skoolie job seems to sell for.
All I'm saying is if my 61 year old mother who didn't know how to even pump gas was looking to not live in a motel *tomorrow* I'd tell her to buy a nice rig already built and ready to go rather than see her rough it in someone's failed school bus build. Its personal advice to a stranger from a stranger, so take it for what it is but its my honest advice.
It takes a good long while to build a decent "skoolie". The decent ones for sale seem to go for the same price as a nice converted coach so I just don't see the point of buying a lesser product for more money.

Still looking for that second link you sent... only saw the heavy duty on e!
Old 06-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
Still looking for that second link you sent... only saw the heavy duty on e!
check the duplicate thread.
PLENTY of nice ready to roll coaches for 20-40.
They are buses though. They're going to be heavy duty. You don't want anything "light duty".
Light duty would be a pickup truck and a camper trailer. At least with that combo you've got somewhere to live and something to drive.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #57
Skoolie

Quote:
They're asking 40k for this one buts a vintage rig with a sweet drivetrain and a very nice interior-
https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/196...BUS-5004261816
https://cdn2.rvtrader.com/v1/media/5...768&quality=70

Wowww, just saw the 1961 ... that vessel is for a collector!!

What I was envisioning was a lot more airy... raised roof with a loft, very important. Kitchen also very important. Solar panels, room for a miniature garden where I can grow herbs. Two bathrooms, and a 360 shower enclosure.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Quote:
Wowww, just saw the 1961 ... that vessel is for a collector!!

What I was envisioning was a lot more airy... raised roof with a loft, very important. Kitchen also very important. Solar panels, room for a miniature garden where I can grow herbs. Two bathrooms, and a 360 shower enclosure.
You want a raised roof and loft, basically a custom bus built... By tomorrow?
Even by next month would be unreasonable.
I'd say if you start tomorrow with a bus you'll be done in a year if you have very deep wallets.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:22 PM   #59
Skoolie

Quote:
Anything newer than 2003 will be very complex to work on and very expensive to repair. Emissions basically ruined diesel engines.

School buses are mostly beat and tired by 300k-400k. A real coach like the ones in my links often go a million miles before an overhaul. they're "macho" because they're actually built for the purpose.

A tarted up used school bus is a horrible buy. Most of us bargain shop and spend a year or so converting.

A month conversion will usually get you a school bus yellow, uninsulated bus with a bucket for a shitter.

Awwww c’mon... I’ve seen some beautiful work done by converters.
And that million mile reference was not really meant to really, really mean “a million miles” right?
Old 06-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #60
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
When you said you wanted to buy a bus and have someone do the conversion for you, that would suggest your budget must be pretty ample to do that if unable to do it yourself. What amount did you have in mind for the whole project? These things aren't built in a week and each trade will eat up your funds rapidly. Are you still sure about this route?
I can see 40 grand easy in your case and much more. That amount might get you barebone fish hut luxury.

John

Hey John... I have 30k... maybe a little more. But the more time I spend looking and not doing, does present a financial hiccup. I feel like I’m wasting money by just looking!

Tags
professionals, seeking skoolie experts