Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dèsirée View Post
Awwww c’mon... I’ve seen some beautiful work done by converters.
And that million mile reference was not really meant to really, really mean “a million miles” right?
Yes he did really mean a million miles, and I agree with him on that.

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #62
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You want a raised roof and loft, basically a custom bus built... By tomorrow?
Even by next month would be unreasonable.
I'd say if you start tomorrow with a bus you'll be done in a year if you have very deep wallets.

Whhhhhhaaaattttt??? Nah! Please don’t say that!!!
Dèsirée is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Awwww c’mon... I’ve seen some beautiful work done by converters.
And that million mile reference was not really meant to really, really mean “a million miles” right?
REAL coaches go a million miles... often 2 or 3.
Beautiful work in pics doesn't mean its got insulation or anything really necessary. Most school buses I see for sale converted have a really pish, lackluster paint job and some home grade laminate flooring. And a bucket to crap in.
If you're looking for a converted skoolie because they're hip and they're the in thing that's one thing, but a coach is superior especially as a second hand purchase.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #64
Bus Geek

Quote:
Whhhhhhaaaattttt??? Nah! Please don’t say that!!!
We've had some very wealthy folks on here who took more than a year to build much less elaborate buses than you're describing.
Anything is possible with money but some things just take time. Anything involving fixing up old school buses sure does.
I'm just trying to be real with you.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:01 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Quote:
——
Even that is out of my budget! The RVs I have looked at are over $100k plus they just look sooo big for little me! And the campers, hate them inside.

BTW, was trying to respond from the skoolie site, but they cut me off, saying “did not have permission to be on that page” or something to that effect... And that’s the second time, the site has cut me off.

Now to the ridiculously part, it showed, I was logged in.

I’m answering from my gmail addy, and who knows if it will post.
So you think a 40 or 45 foot coach is too big for you. Most school buses are 40 feet long. How long a school bus are envisioning?
Raising a roof enough to have a loft is going to affect drivability greatly. Low lying branches become painfully apparent when you're driving something over ten feet tall. Cables and wires hanging everywhere to watch out for too.
There's also a maximum height for vehicles. They range from 13'6" to 14' depending on what state. Even at 13'6" there are a lot of places you simply can't go. Planning your route becomes more involved.

I'm not trying to come across as some total pessimist, its just that there's the harsh realities of this stuff.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #66
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
l see 'Tiny Homes' built on an 8' x 22' trailer with an asking price of $80,000 +
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #67
Skoolie

Quote:
So you think a 40 or 45 foot coach is too big for you. Most school buses are 40 feet long. How long a school bus are envisioning?
Raising a roof enough to have a loft is going to affect drivability greatly. Low lying branches become painfully apparent when you're driving something over ten feet tall. Cables and wires hanging everywhere to watch out for too.
There's also a maximum height for vehicles. They range from 13'6" to 14' depending on what state. Even at 13'6" there are a lot of places you simply can't go. Planning your route becomes more involved.

I'm not trying to come across as some total pessimist, its just that there's the harsh realities of this stuff.
—-
Ohhhh dear... should I start crying now, or just wait until tomorrow when I have to look for another storage unit and start moving the stuff again!???
Old 06-04-2019, 06:28 PM   #68
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Hey John... I have 30k... maybe a little more. But the more time I spend looking and not doing, does present a financial hiccup. I feel like I’m wasting money by just looking!

I think you should move somewhere that has cheaper rental living for a while till you fully understand the costs of this type of venture. Buses eat up money even sitting which is probably the worst thing for them. They like to be driven regularly.
Not sure this helps but explore all options before doing this. When you have to depend on someone to attend to every detail, Ca-ching!

John
Old 06-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #69
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
l see 'Tiny Homes' built on an 8' x 22' trailer with an asking price of $80,000 +
—-
Tiny homes don’t get me exited... they look too cramped in there... I guess the height of the bus makes it seem more spacious inside.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:37 PM   #70
Skoolie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
I think you should move somewhere that has cheaper rental living for a while till you fully understand the costs of this type of venture. Buses eat up money even sitting which is probably the worst thing for them. They like to be driven regularly.
Not sure this helps but explore all options before doing this. When you have to depend on someone to attend to every detail, Ca-ching!

John
—-
I wasn’t planning on being stationary... so should I just give up on the idea and take a different route... the Motorhomes look so boring and stuffy and sooo paneling brown!! Mama Mia, what am I to do??!!!!!
Old 06-04-2019, 07:52 PM   #71
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
——
Hello musigenesis... Mattituck is a lovely area of the east end. How old is your aunt? And during the day, someone takes care of her? Having a cat would probably present a problem, unless she’s an animal lover.

But, I soooooo appreciate you thinking of me and your kind intentions. Should you bring your bus here, you will definitely enjoy the East End of Long Island.

And about that nervous breakdown you mentioned, I have a miniature one, just from going on this site and being cut off if I stay on too long!!!
My aunt is 90, nobody (including herself) takes care of her during the day, and she is a lifelong cat lady, even preferring the ones that pee everywhere.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #72
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Nah, if Fibonacci don't work, no point in trying to pop a Boyle('s Law)
Quote:
—-
No did not think Chemistry would lead to a plausible theorem that could be applied! Plus i’m a Fibonacci fan... maybe I should go back and retry again!
Or even Motel 7, whose credo is, "We'll leave the seat up for you..."
Quote:

Hahahaha... like motel 6... I hope they give you coffee too!
"Decapitation is no excuse"
Marie Antoinette~
By the bye: this is NOT religion.
It's obsession.
Quote:
—-

Just saw this now, of course from Tapatalk, ‘cause skoolie.net keeps cutting me off.

I must have violated the bylaws by calling on the skoolie Gods when the site clearly noted to leave religion out of the skoolie door!

For the actual conversion, I was in touch with Rachel at skoolie.com and I was so excited when I discovered her, I had forgotten, I still didn’t have the yellow metal!

Not much has changed since then!
Which is MOST Gatos, given circumstance and mood...
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My aunt is 90, nobody (including herself) takes care of her during the day, and she is a lifelong cat lady, even preferring the ones that pee everywhere.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:12 AM   #73
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post

Ohhhh my goodness!!! 90 years old and loves cats.... God Bless her.

I read somewhere of a study that was done, which tested life expectancy of extreme animal lovers, such as a so called “cat lady” to that of a conventional “animal owner” and it showed, the obsessive types lived 15 to 18 years longer.

Sadly it also proved how the obsessive types started dying right after their cats died.

How many cats is she currently caring for?
Old 06-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #74
Skoolie

Was it something I said, or just a bad cup of coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Nah, if Fibonacci don't work, no point in trying to pop a Boyle('s Law)Or even Motel 7, whose credo is, "We'll leave the seat up for you...""Decapitation is no excuse"
Marie Antoinette~
By the bye: this is NOT religion.
It's obsession.
Which is MOST Gatos, given circumstance and mood...
—-///
Was it something I said, or perhaps no sweet dreams just a very bad night?.. anyway, this will be my last attempt to reach you.

Pertaining the PM I sent you late last night, I still have not seen the skoolie but there’s been some progress made and as soon as the rain clears up, I will schedule another appointment and hopefully he will respond in a timely manner.

Here’s some of the details he posted.

“2007 Ford E [PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN] miles on*Diesel engine
we all know Diesels are Diehards capable of driving a Million miles

Excellent tires, Engine, Transmission
This Truck runs great and will last forever
You could use this as
A Spare Room, Tiny home Apartment, Tailgater party Van

Solar panels and Batteries FREE SUN POWER- charge ur phone, etc
—//
The bus is very dark outside and could barely see the inside. If it’s a go, would probably have to be totally redone on the inside and most of the outside.

Anyway, I just need to experience what is like to be inside a skoolie and see if is something I can embrace.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #75
Bus Geek

Quote:
—-///
Was it something I said, or perhaps no sweet dreams just a very bad night?.. anyway, this will be my last attempt to reach you.

Pertaining the PM I sent you late last night, I still have not seen the skoolie but there’s been some progress made and as soon as the rain clears up, I will schedule another appointment and hopefully he will respond in a timely manner.

Here’s some of the details he posted.

“2007 Ford E [PHONE NUMBER HIDDEN] miles on*Diesel engine
we all know Diesels are Diehards capable of driving a Million miles

Excellent tires, Engine, Transmission
This Truck runs great and will last forever
You could use this as
A Spare Room, Tiny home Apartment, Tailgater party Van

Solar panels and Batteries FREE SUN POWER- charge ur phone, etc
—//
The bus is very dark outside and could barely see the inside. If it’s a go, would probably have to be totally redone on the inside and most of the outside.

Anyway, I just need to experience what is like to be inside a skoolie and see if is something I can embrace.
No 2007 Ford is going a million miles. A quarter if you're lucky and its bulletproofed.
Emissions and low manufacturing quality = crappy diesel engines.
WON'T "last forever".
Old 06-10-2019, 03:51 PM   #76
Skoolie

Quote:
No 2007 Ford is going a million miles. A quarter if you're lucky and its bulletproofed.
Emissions and low manufacturing quality = crappy diesel engines.
WON'T "last forever".
—-//
You see, I may not know much, but at least I do know, there’s just no way, not that one, or really, any other school bus engine that will go a million miles. At least not in my life time.

I mean, has anyone seen an odometer of an engine with a real million miles? Because if that's not an urban legend, it would be a great Superbowl commercial.

And I really mean a school bus engine. Because there’s a million mile club, I think, and I believe a Porsche— early 60’s or maybe 1965– was the one to grab the title. But don’t go by me... I think I heard Jay Leno talking about it many, many years ago.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #77
Bus Geek

Quote:
—-//
You see, I may not know much, but at least I do know, there’s just no way, not that one, or really, any other school bus engine that will go a million miles. At least not in my life time.

I mean, has anyone seen an odometer of an engine with a real million miles? Because if that's not an urban legend, it would be a great Superbowl commercial.

And I really mean a school bus engine. Because there’s a million mile club, I think, and I believe a Porsche— early 60’s or maybe 1965– was the one to grab the title. But don’t go by me... I think I heard Jay Leno talking about it many, many years ago.
Volvo was the million mile car. Def not a Porsche.
I've seen buses and semi's with more than a million miles.
A school bus is ragged and has one foot in the grave by 300k. Maybe 400k if lucky and well maintained.
That 07 ford was notorious. They were lucky to go 100k without major work. The lawsuits stacked up due to the engine costing people their livelihoods.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #78
Skoolie

Yes to semis and coaches... and the old cars from the 50’s.. the ones in Cuba they have to be pass the 750k by now... umm, that by itself would make a great conversational piece. And I’m willing to bet, this skoolie thing, would be a hit in Cuba too!
Old 06-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #79
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yes to semis and coaches... and the old cars from the 50’s.. the ones in Cuba they have to be pass the 750k by now... umm, that by itself would make a great conversational piece. And I’m willing to bet, this skoolie thing, would be a hit in Cuba too!
Those cars in Cuba aren't running original engines. Most aren't even running the original type/brand of engine. Lots of crummy soviet era stuff but they know how to make the best of it down there.
MUCHO respeto to those folks.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #80
Skoolie

Quote:
Those cars in Cuba aren't running original engines. Most aren't even running the original type/brand of engine. Lots of crummy soviet era stuff but they know how to make the best of it down there.

MUCHO respeto to those folks.

Whhhhaaaaatttt????? Nahhhh!!!! Reeeaaalllyyyy??? No, don’t say that! C’mon... ok, so now, I got look into this...

Next thing you’re going to tell me, there’s no Santa either!!! Arrrgggghhh!

Tags
professionals, seeking skoolie experts