Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Shipping a bus HELP

I just bought a bus. It's running/driving and in road ready shape. How do I get it from Mississippi to Philadelphia, Pa? I can't find any reasonable shipping options and I'm not sure the seller is going to wait for me to register it and fly in with tags to drive it home. Any suggestions?

CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Go get your bus, drive it to the nearest DMV in the town you buy it, buy a temp tag to get it home. Check with your existing insurance to see if it covers you "in any new purchase" for a period of time. State Farm gives me 7 days.
Drive your bus home.

If the seller is in a real hurry, see if he will get a temp tag for it, usually cheaper to residents than out of state residents.

He would need to mail you the title in order for you to register it.

What bus did you get? We like details.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:00 PM   #3
Bus Nut

still waiting for the auction to close

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Go get your bus, drive it to the nearest DMV in the town you buy it, buy a temp tag to get it home. Check with your existing insurance to see if it covers you "in any new purchase" for a period of time. State Farm gives me 7 days.
Drive your bus home.

If the seller is in a real hurry, see if he will get a temp tag for it, usually cheaper to residents than out of state residents.

He would need to mail you the title in order for you to register it.

What bus did you get? We like details.
found a 1999 International 3800 AmTran 71 Passenger and bid on it by chance. It's in great shape. I'll get pics and show it off properly once I figure out all the small stuff.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:05 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile so we know what we're dealing with when you have a question.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:11 PM   #5
Bus Nut

No temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
found a 1999 International 3800 AmTran 71 Passenger and bid on it by chance. It's in great shape. I'll get pics and show it off properly once I figure out all the small stuff.
Mississippi DMV says they don't issue temp tags to private parties. Only issued to dealers.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:28 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Mississippi DMV says they don't issue temp tags to private parties. Only issued to dealers.
I got questioned and verbally warned twice while parked. I drove it home over 3k miles and didn't get pulled over because school buses are invisible on the road and everyone gives them space. If you drive like a safe driver, chances are slim you will get pulled over and if you do, showing them a BOS and title dated today or yesterday with a legitimate story of a new purchase being transported home is usually enough to avoid a hassle. This of course all depends on your attitude towards the cop.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #7
Bus Nut

that's a good point. I'm very respectful. I just don't want a 30,000 pound impound 5 states away.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000RE
Engine: T444E w/ MT643
Rated Cap: 84 pass, 40'
Quote:
What about a "movement permit"? How is anyone supposed to drive a car they bought from a private party legally? Or does MS just not care as long as you register it within a week or leave the state in your case?
Old 08-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
that's a good point. I'm very respectful. I just don't want a 30,000 pound impound 5 states away.
I'm sorry officer, the state I bought it from doesn't issue temp tags and my state requires an inspection and VIN verification, but that's 2k miles away. What am I to do? I'll be out of your state in 10 minutes.
I learned the hard way and $1000's of $'s in fines how to play the game. Respect the cop, tell the truth, don't have an attitude, and you'll likely skate. My next door neighbor 3 days ago got caught rolling a stop sign, gave the cop attitude and ended up going to jail for reckless driving instead. There's no question he will beat it, but the expense of bail, attorney's, inconvenience, etc. He just doesn't get it. It would have been a $60 ticket. I used to really piss my ex wife off because I got pulled over all the time for driving over the limit, but I NEVER got a ticket. She didn't think it was fair I got away with it so much. Speeding is not ticket worthy anymore as long as you're not 20 over the limit. It is an excuse to pull you and look for other serious stuff, IE, drugs, alcohol, etc.

The biggest thing will always be proof of insurance.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:32 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Just get an insurance policy and go drive your bus back home.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I just drove a 40 year old bus 2500 miles across the country.. I picked it up imn oregon drove it to ohio... I got my insurance set before I left.. picked up the bus and went to the oregon DMV.. who had no idea what to do with an ohio licensed driver and a former church bus licensed to oregon.. they sent me to another place that had no idea..

I drove the thing all over portland for several days fixing little things and such.. and finaslly I got tired of waiting for the DMV.. so i went to the business center at my hotel, printed out a sign that said 'VEHICLE IN TRANSIT' and another that said 'PERSONAL NOT FOR HIRE'. and drove it across the country.. even had a cop or 2 behind me on the road... I cruised along at 58 and never got stopped...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
All of the above! Take the precautions, but go for it as long as you are confident in maneuvering and not causing harm to anyone. If being hassled is the only thing holding you back I would stop thinking about it.
The only time anyone noticed me on my 800 mile journey is because they never seen a school bus driver smoking a cigar. It will be a great start to your adventure!
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Solved

The seller has a dealer license in Mississippi and will issue a temp/in transit tag good to drive it back. I'm going to fly down and get it next week.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Good deal! On my maiden voyage my first stop was Wal Mart to buy a few hundred bucks in emergency supplies. Get anything you can think of; tools, fluids, etc. I even got a sleeping bag and candles. Return it all (hopefully unused) at your destination. I had no issue returning and was happy to have the resources while underway in an unfamiliar vehicle.
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #15
Bus Nut

No go

The seller got a higher offer and canceled the deal. I’m looking at other options. I took a day off from work so I’m gonna try like hell to fly somewhere and drive back with a bus.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:23 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
Good deal! On my maiden voyage my first stop was Wal Mart to buy a few hundred bucks in emergency supplies. Get anything you can think of; tools, fluids, etc. I even got a sleeping bag and candles. Return it all (hopefully unused) at your destination. I had no issue returning and was happy to have the resources while underway in an unfamiliar vehicle.
Our Walmart doesn't do refunds for sleeping bags or air mattresses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I packed tools in my luggage.. electrical connectors, snips, roll of wire, wremches, sockets, a breaker bar.. a hammer.. fly southwest airlines and you get 2 50 lb bags free plus your normal carry on allowances..

buy a fire extuingisher.. a Kidde or First alert 5 pounder ABC Foam type.. if you catch a fire early chances are you can douse it with foam before a lot of damage is done..

the walmart in my area only takes returns on air mattresses if they are defective (exchange only) or are unopened..

pick a bus in an area you know you can get to... I talked to a guy a couple months ago who bought a nice rust free bus in montana only to find it was miles away from anbything close to real civilization that he could return a rental car, take a cab, and forget Uber and Lyft.. the seller wasnt really willing to do anything..

so before bidding or closing a deal talk to the seller about arrangements to get from the airport to your bus if you need their help.. or do research online about whats available.. greyhound, city bus, taxi, hotel shuttle, uber, lyft, etc..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I packed tools in my luggage.. electrical connectors, snips, roll of wire, wremches, sockets, a breaker bar.. a hammer.. fly southwest airlines and you get 2 50 lb bags free plus your normal carry on allowances..

I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but don't try to bring any of those tools in your carry-on. They'll get tossed. This is something I'm aware of, though I did forget that I had a (borrowed) screw driver in my bag once and saw it disappear into the garbage bin.

I managed to bring my bus dash cluster through security in my carry-on once! The staff were genuinely intrigued and after double checking that it wasn't a bomb let me go on my way!

PS: A new bus Cadillackid?!? Great! Any pictures up yet?
Old 08-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazty View Post
I'm sure it doesn't need to be said, but don't try to bring any of those tools in your carry-on. They'll get tossed. This is something I'm aware of, though I did forget that I had a (borrowed) screw driver in my bag once and saw it disappear into the garbage bin.

I managed to bring my bus dash cluster through security in my carry-on once! The staff were genuinely intrigued and after double checking that it wasn't a bomb let me go on my way!

PS: A new bus Cadillackid?!? Great! Any pictures up yet?

I carry tools when I fly for my job. They *MUST* go as checked bags, they are prohibited as carry on.

Currently I relocate vehicles cross-country ... and yes, I am available for hire! Anyone interested, PM me.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #20
Skoolie

I agree with the others that say drive it and tell the truth.
I am a former COP.

Example.
No plates is a small fine
Wrong plate (from another vehicle)
IS a JAILABLE offense IN OHIO.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote