Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2024, 08:21 PM   #1

Short Bus - Terrible Deal?

I am fairly early on in the buying process but have been doing a bit of research and this thread seems to be a stellar resource.

Looking at a 2000 Ford Econoline Shorty. 7.3 Diesel engine. 205,000 miles. Seats are removed, wood floor installed, heater and solar panels. Counter tops and bed parts are there but not installed. Other than that it's pretty bare. From what I can read the 2000 is the last 'good' year of the 7.3 engine.

They are asking 8k. What is a fair price you would pay? 6.5k? I know there are a lot of factors going into this but I feel like prices as all over the place and would love to hear your thoughts.

BrendellaSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 11:49 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
The shorties go for a little more as they are easier to drive, and store in a parking lot.

6-8k is reasonable if everything is functioning. Knock off $ as you find problems during inspection. Small increments.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 07:24 PM   #3

Question

thank you @nikitis!

Took it for a spin today and noticed this decent leak. Looks like it's coming from the oil pan. Do you know or anyone else know if this is a simple fix or a bigger problem?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1110.jpg  
BrendellaSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2024, 07:56 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
Impossible to tell from the photo where the leak is. If it is leaking that much oil at that ridiculous price, I would run, not walk, away>
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 06:01 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
You can also look above and see if the oil is coming from above the pan. Often it can come from the heads or even the small dipstick if there is a little blow by.

Oil is always coming out of the highest point so check it carefully to ascertain.

I had an oil leak coming from my dipstick tube because the previous owner had the wrong dipstick inserted and it doesn't stay in the tube ever. I at first thought it was my pan as well but discovered it wasn't the pan it was the tube above.

If it is just the oil pan, you'll need to replace the oil by draining it, and ordering a new gasket. There are tightening procedures and an order in which to tighten and a certain torque rating in tightening but otherwise not a terrible job as long as you do it correctly.

If the pan is busted or warped, then you might need to replace the pan and gasket.

Price it out to see what it would cost and tell the seller you want minus that to fix on the price or you're walking.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 06:46 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
im assuiming we are looking at left rear.. a *LOT* of rear oil leaks on 7.3 are related to either

1. the HPOP lines that are in the upper valley of the engine.. the oil runs back and out the valley drain hole...

2. the turbo pedestal EBPV valve under the turbo right above...

3. OCCASIONALLY the oil cooler will leak externally but thats rare...

and of course it could be a pan gasket itself.. like mentioned.. look for oil above.. to me it looks like its coming down from above..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
should i buy

« New and Need Help! | - »