Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2020, 09:57 AM   #61
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Sorry to hear that cw. I guess with 43k it was already old..pun..
Was that the v8 diesel 350? Or a gasser. Why did an intake gasket destroy the engine?

Chris if you are going to go wild then please buy one with a Mercedes engine. With the mechanical driven and electronic controlled per cylinder injectors they are way more interesting.

Johan

joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #62
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
So let’s put this to rest . Someone go find me the bus I mentioned above , I’ll check k it out and if it checks I’ll buy it and drive it and put this maxxforce stuff to rest..

Real world real life real data real test..

Just find me the bus
You can find real world data and real world tests on forums for school bus drivers and school bus mechanics who say without equivocation that the MaxxForce is a problem engine. I've found lots of postings of these things requiring rebuilds before reaching 8 years of service. That's why I caution people against them. School districts are not going to unload these things with low miles and low hours for no good reason. Do you really think IC would be pushing gas power again after all these years if the MaxxForce DT was doing well?
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #63
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
remember "Maxxforce" isnt ONE engine..

there is Maxxforce 7 and Maxxforce DT bith used in school busses..and different generations exist of each.. and forums are a great place to hear only negatives about anything..

ive specifically clarified the widely available Maxxforce DT 2007-2009.. I know about lots of issues in the Maxxforce 7 and as mentioned the post 2010 maxxfroce DT.. the 7 actually got better in later years..

but I get it in your mind you had a bad experience and you read a forum so the whole maxxforce engine line from start to finish all variants all generations is rubbish..

OK then

back to my hole of darkness where i apparently belong as anything new around here is completely off-limits and slammed..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:26 PM   #64
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Sorry to hear that cw. I guess with 43k it was already old..pun..
Was that the v8 diesel 350? Or a gasser. Why did an intake gasket destroy the engine?

Chris if you are going to go wild then please buy one with a Mercedes engine. With the mechanical driven and electronic controlled per cylinder injectors they are way more interesting.

Johan
1998 Olds 98, 3800 gas V6. 43k, one owner. I knew intake gaskets were common on these, but I figured it would have been addressed by 2018.

Intake gaskets blew and hydrolocked the engine. Wouldn't turn over once the cylinders cleared with the plugs out, even with a breaker bar. Had to junk it.

CK, all you have to do is Google school bus driver forums to see the many gripings about the problems they have had, and yes, the DT has been mentioned. 'Nuff said. Computers do not solve everything.

And nobody wants to be at the mercy of a $180 an hour dealer technician when they can't go somewhere else for a second opinion without a hefty tow bill. Nobody wants an engine they have to babysit with a computer either. Your eyes are supposed to be on the road, not watching a screen. My final post on this thread on this subject. Those who decide to buy these things, don't say we didn't warn you.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:29 PM   #65
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronigbzjr View Post
Cool, nice to hear a positive opinion for once also cadillackid's message above is encouraging.

Let me ask you this - would you rather purchase a bus pre-2008 but that has an engine like Cat 7 for example? The reason I wanted a DT is because they have very good reputation. The recommendations I got was try to go first for a DT or a Cummins engine, and only then to Cat.

After researching some more and also looking for other buses, I still think this is the best one for me that I've found so far. From my what I read the Maxxforce shouldn't be the end of the world as long as I maintain it properly. If I do end up buying it, I intend to rebuild it with the assistance of a professional mechanic so I can learn it well and know how to handle it on the road. I've seen online that DPF's filters can be cleaned manually every once in a while with water pressure wash, and that you can install a computer to connect to the engine and show you constant monitoring while you're on the road.

So, we'll see...
I'd take a pre emissions Cat over any emissions era stuff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #66
Traveling

I might add that I personally know a school bus driver for a district with mostly Navistar buses and they are constantly playing musical chairs when the latest breakdown occurs. They never get the same bus back, either. One sat at a truck repair shop for FOUR MONTHS. Who here wants that?
Old 03-05-2021, 07:17 AM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Just find me the bus
Speaking of the Holy Grail (if you like the Cummins 8.3) I've seen a few at auction lately. They were pushers, though. I wanted a front engine with trans behind for another project so I didn't give them too much thought.

Would make a nice travel bus, though.
DesertClimber is offline   Reply With Quote