Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2021, 12:05 PM   #1

Should I Buy this DT466?

I have been looking for a mid sized bus around my area and found a 1996 DT466 3800 for $4500 four hours from where I live. I know this engine is the holy grail especially where I live in the mountains.

The seller got it from a school auction a few days ago with all maintenance papers. The only problem is they are not very forthcoming with questions and pictures. I can only organize someone to help me get out there one time and want to get it as soon as possible, because buses in this area buy like crazy.
Any advice on the most important questions before getting out there to buy it? Should I jump on it as fast as I can even if I don't have all the information I want?
I have a few pictures of the engine if anyone can let me know what condition it might be in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6249.jpg   IMG_6251.jpg   IMG_6252.jpg   IMG_6253.jpeg  

zsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 01:24 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
No way to tell condition by looking at it. Is It a DT466E, or a DTA466? If it's a quick flip like you say, seller probably marked it up by $2K.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Newer alternator, other than that a dirty engine on the outside. Doesn't mean much really, but a check of those maint. records will be helpful.

Goes to show some of the "flippers" can't be bothered with a quick pressure wash of the engine and engine bay before putting it up for sale.
Guess they don't need to, being there's such a high demand for busses right now.

Still, IMO, cheap with a borderline of sleaze mixed in with such a sale potentially...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsun View Post
I have been looking for a mid sized bus around my area and found a 1996 DT466 3800 for $4500 four hours from where I live. I know this engine is the holy grail especially where I live in the mountains.

The seller got it from a school auction a few days ago with all maintenance papers. The only problem is they are not very forthcoming with questions and pictures. I can only organize someone to help me get out there one time and want to get it as soon as possible, because buses in this area buy like crazy.
Any advice on the most important questions before getting out there to buy it? Should I jump on it as fast as I can even if I don't have all the information I want?
I have a few pictures of the engine if anyone can let me know what condition it might be in.
I know it is a '96 but that injection pump looks like a mechanical pump...am I wrong?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 02:52 PM   #5

Yeah he seems very sleezy. Now he thinks he can get more money by tearing the bus apart and selling it piece by piece.
I'm still wondering if it is even a DT466 with the red engine instead of blue?
zsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsun View Post
Yeah he seems very sleezy. Now he thinks he can get more money by tearing the bus apart and selling it piece by piece.
I'm still wondering if it is even a DT466 with the red engine instead of blue?
They were red (and mechanically injected) from '93 to '95 (check out the graphic at 5:38 )

She checks out, sir! Buy the darned thing.

My guess is the blue bits on your engine are more recent replacement stuff?
Old 04-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
Definitely a P-Pumped DT motor. I think it's read because it's an AG motor that was swapped in. I've looked at a ton of bus auctions with P-pump DT466s and they've always been blue. My 94 DT408 is blue. If it checks the rest of your boxes, I'd go check it out. Check for excessive blowby, it should be no more than a faint "chuf.chuf.chuf...". Check for oil in the coolant, and coolant in the oil. If you suspect an issue in one of the cylinders, you can check the injectors by loosening an individual injector line one at a time (on the P-Pump), similar to how you would check spark plugs on a gas motor by disconnecting the spark plug wire. If the tone of the engine does not change when you crack the high pressure line, then that cylinder is the issue. If you buy it, shoot me a pm with your email as well as what transmission model it has, and I'll email you the service manuals.
Old 04-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
They were red (and mechanically injected) from '93 to '95 (check out the graphic at 5:38 )

She checks out, sir! Buy the darned thing.

My guess is the blue bits on your engine are more recent replacement stuff?
Haven't heard many people agree with his opinion of the 466E.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:27 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Mechanical dt466
Probably a reman.

Turn the pump up and turbo and have some fun.
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote