Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2020, 07:23 AM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
this sounds like a fun event! im not a camper so makes it tough for me to attend some of these that are way in the sticks as internet for me is a must..

Covid-wise. remember that outdoor events have not proven as Superspreader scenerios regardless of the politics you want to put in it.. if I go to something with friends i typically stay outdoors as much as possible and have thus-far stayed healthy and i havent stayed home by any means.. ive travelled, gotten groceries, eaten on patios, had small get togethers. and ive pretty much avoided crowded bars, indoor dining, malls, events, and the like.. its also possible that the yucky sickness i had march first was the corona.. I havent yet been tested (that changes tuesday when i get tested for T cells, anti-bodies, and covid itself as part of a Vaccine study im in)..

gatherings with Skoolie friends and buis enthusiasts have been some of the most fun ive had in recent years! highly recommend it for those looking to meet neat people.
-Christopher

cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:32 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
It sounds so fun! I am really looking forward to it!
Gypsy mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I am curious how much space will be available. I have severe asthma. Any kind of smoke is a huge problem for me, and I can't be within 200 feet of anything that produces smoke -- even campfires, vape pens, etc. Cigarette / cigar smoke is a big one -- it can kill me in sufficient quantity.

If I can keep sufficient distance from campfires, it might be doable. I also wonder if COVID-19 will be a concern, as it doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon.

No bus currently, though I am doing what I can to try to change that. I may make the trip, rig or not, as I have family in FL.
Honestly most of the folks in the Swarm group on FB don't seem to be worried much about covid protocol.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:42 AM   #24
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
Those attending and the hosts try to be as accomadating to all who come as possible, however you and only you are responsable for your health.

Covid, I personally have no concern about it, and continue life just as before. It sounds like you would be high risk, and I would say you are better to stay home till this is all over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
Covid-wise. remember that outdoor events have not proven as Superspreader scenerios regardless of the politics you want to put in it..
-Christopher
This is not about politics for me. I think it is being overpoliticized myself. But the degree of asthma I have, as said earlier, makes me high-risk. And from that aspect, maybe it is better I not go. Really on the fence as to whether I should even get a bus at all because of the asthma (or whatever else it may be). There's a lot to consider, mostly from factors of build-out.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
bus meet up

There is a facebook group NEW SKOOLIE NATION they are doing some sort of meet up in north or south carolina in a week or two....

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:10 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
this sounds like a fun event! im not a camper so makes it tough for me to attend some of these that are way in the sticks as internet for me is a must..
There was someone at the 2020 Skoolie Swarm this last February that had a cell antenna. They seemed to have decent connectivity and speed.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:39 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
There was someone at the 2020 Skoolie Swarm this last February that had a cell antenna. They seemed to have decent connectivity and speed.
I’m doing better in that respect I recently got a cell card for my mikrotik that can do CA and take dusk 2x2 antennas. I ha e an antenna in my window now and it helped a lot. I’ve got a second one to mount on my mirror mast outdoor that might allow me to get into much more remote areas.

I had thought the swarms were 100% quiet zones at night but sounds like running generators is acceptable which makes an overnight stay more accessible for me
Old 10-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #28
Bus Geek

The hosts try to keep the generator folks together so that not everyone will have to listen to the hum all night. It does get cold at night there in February. Your diesel heaters will come in handy.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #29
Bus Geek

the diesel heater in the DEV bus makes some noise.. I suppose I could install the cute little muffler that came with it I actually like the hum (im the guy who stays in downtown city hotels and opens the windows to sleep to the sound of traffic)
Old 10-17-2020, 10:57 PM   #30
Bus Geek

I am sure your heater noise is but a whisper compared to a generator running all night.
Old 10-18-2020, 05:40 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I do not remember anyone running a generator overnight, seems most shut them down by bed time.

When we stop in truck stops truck engines idling are fine. But the APU I can't stand. Louder then the truck engine and they change speed based on load. It is the change that alerts me and wakes me up.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 06:10 AM   #32
Bus Geek

the fake webasto in the DEV bus is a lot louder than the real webasto in the red bus. . although the fake one is 12kw vs 5 for the red bus.. it changes sound as it cycles in and out or adjusts to load

my little harbor freight generator is pretty quiet.. but its like an APU it changes based on load.. that genny does get a little noisy if its ramped up to near maximum

if its cold though Im not goin without heat
Old 10-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I do not remember anyone running a generator overnight, seems most shut them down by bed time.

When we stop in truck stops truck engines idling are fine. But the APU I can't stand. Louder then the truck engine and they change speed based on load. It is the change that alerts me and wakes me up.
The folks next to us at Skoolie Swarm ran theirs all night. Part of the problem was that they had a problem with the controls and the unit surged continuously. It was not an extreme noise, just not constant and thus hard to ignore.

At one rest area along our route, there was a motor home that was lit up like daylight most of the night. That was a loud generator.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Quote:
the fake webasto in the DEV bus is a lot louder than the real webasto in the red bus. . although the fake one is 12kw vs 5 for the red bus.. it changes sound as it cycles in and out or adjusts to load

my little harbor freight generator is pretty quiet.. but its like an APU it changes based on load.. that genny does get a little noisy if its ramped up to near maximum

if its cold though Im not goin without heat
I don't blame you one bit. We gotta keep it nice inside as well. Our first night, we arrived well after dark and backed into our spot. To heep warm, we close off the first 12 feet of the bus and sleep there. We have a ceramic heater that does a fair job of keeping it warm in the little cubby-cab we make. However, it runs off of the inverter. So, when it got just too cold inside, I would get up, start the engine and turn on the heater. Mind you, I have a 350A secondary alternator that runs to the house bank. So once it was warm, I shut it all down and went back to sleep. I must have done this three times through the night. Nobody seemed to mind my starting up every once and a while.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:18 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Does everybody feel like it's a good idea to have a generator? I don't have one yet and am not sure what to look for. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 10-20-2020, 08:32 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

It depends. If you have really good solar, and do not need a/c then it is not needed. I have one to run my a/c. I bought an Onan RV generator, and this is built in so it can run while driving for a/c. Most skoolies just buy a portable and set it next to the bus. Please get a quite one. Horrible frieght has some nice ones.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:37 AM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Ok, thanks! And, dumb question, how do you gauge what "size" you need; amps, etc. Please forgive my ignorance.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #38
Bus Crazy

Add up your electrical loads. Each electric appliance has a tag on it stating how much power it uses. The figure will be either in watts, or in amps. By the way Volts x Amps =watts You will need to convert any aplliances rated in amps to watts useing the formula. Generators are rated in watts.

A few typical things,
rooftop a/c 1500 watts
small electric heater 1500 watts
microwave about 800
My fridge only uses a bit over 300 for the day

There are detailed energy survays that you can find online and fill in yourself for a real good look at your power needs.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:15 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

That is so helpful, thank you!!
Old 10-20-2020, 01:17 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
If you want to venture to almost the west coast, there is several get togethers throughout the year in Quartzsite Az. Including Skooliepalooza.

Check out this page.
https://www.busconversionmagazine.com/events/
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote