Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2018, 08:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 42
Skoolie Gathering

I saw a flyer for a Skoolie/ Vanlife/ tiny home fest on facebook. Looks fun! Hopefully I'll have mine up and running by then.

(Feel free to take this down if it's been posted elsewhere)

Click image for larger version

Name:	42382639_2384684764881223_7164824727624613888_n.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	25955

Calling ALL skoolies, Van Lifers & Tiny Home Owners... HERE we come AGAIN Florida!

Florida Tiny House Music Festival (3rd Annual)
November 16-18, 2018
St. Johns County Fairgrounds
5840 State Road 207
Elkton, Florida 32033

Registered Skoolies & Tiny Homes (all modalities) for the Florida Tiny House Music Festival receive...

~ FREE On-site Camping!
~ FREE Parking!
~ FREE Electric Hook-Up!
~ FREE Meals!
~ FREE After-Hours Entertainment, Saturday Night Concert & Pot-Luck Dinner! (We will once again roast 6-8 turkeys!)
~ FREE Gas Card (or cash equivalent) given out on Sunday!
~ Shower House Exclusive for those staying on-site!

This year we plan to have MULTIPLE music stages, even MORE bands & performers, FLAMETHROWER Artists, Array of Light FIRE Performers, Top Speakers & Presenters, an EXPANDED Kids Zone (TEENIE’s TINY WONDERLAND), AWESOME Food Trucks & Concessions, TV Celebrities, AND MORE!

To register your skoolie/tiny home for this year’s for-charity Florida Tiny House Music Festival*, please be sure to complete and submit your Private Home Owners Registration Form available online at:

United Tiny House Association | Tiny House Festival Admission Tickets

Also, feel free to join the official event page for updates and announcements:

https://facebook.com/events/242380476282477?ti=ia

Also, we’ve also been invited BACK this year to bring A BUNCH of tinies once AGAIN to the ‪Tiny Home Show 2nd Annual Event for our Florida Tiny House Fest Kick-Off at 2nd Annual Tiny Home Show, ‬Saturday: November 10, 2018, at the HCC Southside Campus in Ruskin, Florida!

*Note: The for-charity tiny house festivals of the United Tiny House Association have donated and given away over $500K from the proceeds of our events to OVER 60 different charities, non-profits and the communities where we hold our for-charity tiny house festivals.

Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Looks like there's another iteration of this event in Macon, GA coming up the first weekend of March.

I'm considering taking my bus, but wondering if anyone out there has taken their vehicle and what review they might give.

Any thoughts? Anyone else who might be there too?

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Hi there everybody! I am brand new to bus life and this festival looks so exciting! Realizing the poster is from 2018, I wondered if anything like this might be going on anytime soon? Certainly understandable if not, due to COVID. Thanks all!
Gypsy mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I've been told about an annual gathering called Skoolie Swarm. At this time, tentative 2021 date is sometime in February.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks cheese wagon, sounds great! Please update as you hear.
Old 10-14-2020, 02:25 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
The 2021 Skoolie Swarm will be held February 21, 2021 @ 3:00pm to March 1, 2021 @ 10:00am. It will be held at the same place as last year, the Ocala National Forest.

Here is the Skoolie Swarm FB group page.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:32 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
A few notes. The Swarm is NOT a public event. This is for skoolie owners to get together and enjoy the company of fellow skoolies. There were around 70 skoolies, and about 20 vans there last year. Really wonderful. We will be there again this Feb.

Tiny House festivals are public and there can be long lines of people waiting to get in your bus. So you need to like showing your bus to the public. I find the music to be to loud, and the crowds to much for me. It is more of a carnival atmosphere. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, just not my cup of tea...

The creators of the Swarm did a H.O.W. show last year, and it was more to my liking, Quiet , not to crowded, and more people that really wanted to convert a skoolie, rather then ordinary public wondering what the "hippies" are up to. I did get to spend a fair amount of time with some of the prospective skoolie owners, enough to really talk about details. About 50 buses and vans came, then we went straight to the Swarm after it.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:37 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

2020 Florida Tiny House Festival - United Tiny House ...

unitedtinyhouse.com › 2020-florida-tinyhouse-festival

The Venue. The 2020 (5th Annual) Florida Tiny House Festival will held Sat-Sun, November 21-22, 2020, and will be held at The Villages Polo Club in The Villages, Florida.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:25 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I like the swarm get togethers. . unfortunately I havent been able to go to many. I dont go to the tiny house festivals.. im a bus enthusiast much more than a converter / camper so the swarms are more my style because i feel more welcome there .. i did attend a tiny house festival st pete a few years back just to see what it was all about..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks so much for the great info. The Swarm definitely sounds more my speed. I'm not on Facebook, is there a website or how would I get info, sign up, etc?
Old 10-14-2020, 04:34 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
The 2021 Skoolie Swarm will be held February 21, 2021 @ 3:00pm to March 1, 2021 @ 10:00am. It will be held at the same place as last year, the Ocala National Forest.

Here is the Skoolie Swarm FB group page.

Click on the words "Skoolie Swarm" above.
Old 10-14-2020, 10:43 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Both events are close to my home (and bus) in Marion County. Although, we both look more Swarm and not so Polo Club.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 03:49 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Click on the words "Skoolie Swarm" above.
It just takes me to FB.
Old 10-15-2020, 03:53 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Both events are close to my home (and bus) in Marion County. Although, we both look more Swarm and not so Polo Club.
Definitely! I called the # for the event at The Villages for more info, but haven't heard back. Trying to find more info on the Swarm but no luck so far.
Old 10-15-2020, 06:03 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Details

This will be our 4th Annual Skoolie Swarm. ����������

Doe Lake Campground, Ocala National Forest.

This is not a show. This is just a chance to come and relax as a community.

You do not have to have a bus to join us at the skoolie swarm. You just have to have the skoolie spirit. In 2020 we had about 100 skoolies, vans, boxtrucks, tents and car campers attend. Not to mention the day trippers.

Practice your offgrid skills. There are no electric hookups but there are water spigots scattered throughout the campground for shared usage and generators are allowed.

This venue has bathrooms with hot showers, a large mess hall built in the 1930's that includes a kitchen available for all to use. There is 1 large fire ring for community fires overlooking the lake. Firewood will be provided for the community fire ring.

Just like Swarm 2020 we will have epic potluck dinners, community breakfasts, kickball games, a sock hop, movie nights and more.

Just as the name suggests, there is a lake on site. You can bring any low powered water vessel. Fishing is allowed and there are some large bass in the lake.
The cost will be $15 per night per home.
We will have volunteer possibilities again this year to help offset your costs and to keep the place clean for all of us.

Watch for more details as the time approaches. Registration will be by email again this year. Please put 2021 as your subject line and include:

Your name:
Size of the rig you are bringing:
Dates you will be with us:
# of kids you are bringing:
to skoolieswarm@gmail.com

All dogs must be on a 6' leash at all times and cleaned up after by their owners according to park rules.

There is wildlife at this park including alligators, bear and snakes. We didn't see any alligators this year but we did see the bear.

More details to follow. (photo credit Josh Grebe)

I hope you are as excited as I am! ��-M

https://www.facebook.com/events/187765259123499/
Old 10-15-2020, 06:38 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
I live about 20 minutes from there too, but the other direction. I went to school out there in the Shores.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:06 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

That's perfect, thanks! Excited to hopefully meet you all there!
Old 10-16-2020, 12:01 AM   #18
Bus Geek

It is a great, homey experience. Last year's event was fun for all ages. All of the chidren were well behaved and even the adults.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:51 AM   #19
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I am curious how much space will be available. I have severe asthma. Any kind of smoke is a huge problem for me, and I can't be within 200 feet of anything that produces smoke -- even campfires, vape pens, etc. Cigarette / cigar smoke is a big one -- it can kill me in sufficient quantity.

If I can keep sufficient distance from campfires, it might be doable. I also wonder if COVID-19 will be a concern, as it doesn't appear to be going away anytime soon.

No bus currently, though I am doing what I can to try to change that. I may make the trip, rig or not, as I have family in FL.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 05:40 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

There is one fire pit that we all use for campfires. So it is possible to stay well away from that. You will have buses coming and going, generators running etc. So not a controlled environment. Those attending and the hosts try to be as accomadating to all who come as possible, however you and only you are responsable for your health.

It is likely you could be tucked in a sort of out of the way corner.

Covid, I personally have no concern about it, and continue life just as before. It sounds like you would be high risk, and I would say you are better to stay home till this is all over.