Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #21
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
its a RV campground.. *snip* I siurely dont believe in trashing the land by leaving grocery sacks full of beer bottles (like some so even in parking lots) but generators, air conditioners, heaters, somneone sitting outside smoking a cigarette, riding a dirt bike, etc.. really hows that any different than at home in a town? i say dont go places where this type of thing is expected and then expect people not to do it.. there are places which strictly prohibit noise, ATVs, guns, etc..
That's just it. Most people that go camping (whether RV-style or a pup tent) are doing so to get away from the usual at home, ergo, the noise, the bustle, the whole nine yards. And you really don't expect people to be blasting music at midnight in a campground. As for the comment about cigarettes, well, it's a proven fact that there are over 70 cancer-causing agents in secondhand smoke, and no one has any right to force that on others.

As I said earlier, people need to start thinking about the fact that they are, in fact, in public, which means the area is for anyone to use, meaning it's not just yours to use. Anyone else has just as much right to be there, and that should entail showing a little respect for others.

Would you want someone blasting music beside you when you're trying to sleep at 2 am? Racing dirt bikes up and down the driveway at all hours of the night? I'd be willing to bet you wouldn't. People seem to confuse the words 'vacation' and 'public' as being able to do what they want, and maybe that technically is so, but that doesn't give anyone the right to ruin the experience for others by being jackasses.

CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:28 PM   #22
Skoolie

We have literally spent billions of first world dollars developing and implementing technologies to make redundant and obsolete any and all forms of person to person socializing. We have created laws forbidding groups of youth to play together under the guise of security and injury protection. It has been such a success, that now very few have any concept whatsoever of spatial awareness. The word "respect" is still here, but the definition of it has been erased from dictionaries and the voicing of it has been outlawed.

When I was young, the telephone was a new device in the home. We had what was known as a "party line". Even though we had our own phone number, if we called out or were called, and the neighbor picked up their phone, the neighbor could hear all that was said and even participate in the conversation. You sorta had to be a good neighbor and surrounded by good neighbors at that time. For the most part, it was a good neighbor system that held up well. There was a sense of community at that time. Everyone knew each other.

In the 90s when the www came around and the blue collars were "allowed" to purchase time connected to it by the minute, at.....12kbs, it became the Information Age. Many with a lot of life experience used to warn that someday your own person privacy would be something that you would have to pay for. Ya right was the reply by most.

Then as speed increased and more and more people of all income levels gained access, it went from "allowed" to suggested that one be online.

Now it's required that you be online to get through school, to have a job, or to run a business, etc.

The sense of community is long gone. The concept of earning respect, much less showing it toward others, has also gone. It will not return until after the war. History much repeat itself, just as it always has and always will. But wow, what a great ride it has been during the short interval of relative peace.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:15 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I see people here responding to two different peeves.

One is, some of us want to be left alone. That's the camp I'm in, your HOAs, you NIMBYs who cannot mind your own business need to shove it. Live and let live.
The Other is, some people seemingly go out of their way to make themselves nuisances, cause disturbance or harm to others and need to be stopped.

People these days are far less willing to deal with one another than in the past. Instead you call someone to do that for you. Well, if my first contact with you is through the police showing up due to my little BBQ going on in the back yard I am not going to have a good impression of you. Doesn't really even matter if you have good reason- you didn't bother to communicate at all, let alone in a civil manner.

This is why when looking at property I choose to prioritize as much physical distance as practically possible between myself and others. Living on top of one another seems to me like poor planning- I don't even want to see my neighbor, we're both happier that way. But even in that case, there are always some busybodies whom seem to seek to make my business their business. Just leave me alone...

I fully understand the argument regarding people causing nuisance or harm to others, and I'm totally onboard with the grievances there. But I see that impulse get far out of control far too often and calling it "respect" when I personally think the term only loosely applies at best makes me only less sympathetic.

Its not 'respect' not to burn tires in your back yard, its consideration of others, and even when considering others it is still possible to create conflict. I seldom see _anyone_ resolve conflicts anymore like adults, they all just reach for some authority figure in a power grab to get their way. There are no adults anymore, just fully grown children calling mommy.

/rant
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote