Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Skoolies On TV

Hi. I'm a writer/producer associated with a commercial video production company. To me, the Skoolie experience is a natural for a TV program - similar to Tiny House Hunters, etc. I am putting together a proposal that would feature a fun, outgoing kind of nutty couple who would be "hosts". I am looking for experts in everything Skoolie - from buying, converting, living, traveling, etc. Is that you? Do you know anyone? Has it been done before? Is there a similar show already in production? Love to hear your thoughts. Reply directly to Hideawaymusic@gmail.com. Put Skoolie in the subject line.

Hideawaymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 72
I like this idea very much and would even like to participate. You need to remember tho that most of us aren't experts by any means. We just take the concept and run with it. Sometimes just running with it and hitting a wall, climbing over it and keep going.
I actually think this would make a very entertaining and informative show. Just make sure that most of your subjects are every day folks like most of the schoolie members.
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
For sure there is lots of talent and ability in this skoolie world.

Isn't using a couple rather discriminatory, not that I would want to be host?

You have both ends of the spectrum from using imagination to those who well, shouldn't even consider a skoolie without some mechanical/electrical background. You have to admire their desire but often they loose hard earned money to scrupulous garages in repair bills.
It's not all shite and briney as you make this sound. Lots of heartbreak and hard learned lessons.
And how much do you stand to reap by doing this before we discuss remuneration for the host/hostesses. Talented people deserve to be well paid no? If the host/hostesses haven't got a clue, you have a flop for a show.
Single people also have brilliant minds when it comes to building a skoolie, so what is in it for them to divulge that information?

John
Old 01-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If Honey BooBoo could get a show, I don't see why a Skoolie show wouldn't work.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There is certainly enough ham on this forum.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:37 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
For sure there is lots of talent and ability in this skoolie world.

Isn't using a couple rather discriminatory, not that I would want to be host?

You have both ends of the spectrum from using imagination to those who well, shouldn't even consider a skoolie without some mechanical/electrical background. You have to admire their desire but often they loose hard earned money to scrupulous garages in repair bills.
It's not all shite and briney as you make this sound. Lots of heartbreak and hard learned lessons.
And how much do you stand to reap by doing this before we discuss remuneration for the host/hostesses. Talented people deserve to be well paid no? If the host/hostesses haven't got a clue, you have a flop for a show.
Single people also have brilliant minds when it comes to building a skoolie, so what is in it for them to divulge that information?

John
The reason I said a couple was because I was following the model for many successful reno shows on HGTV and DIY. The Flip or Flop shows all feature a couple and I think that's what appealing to audiences. I know it's going to be difficult to find a perfect combination of personality and real know-how but that's my challenge. Naturally, there would be pay if the show was picked up and broadcast. Thanks for your input. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:39 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If Honey BooBoo could get a show, I don't see why a Skoolie show wouldn't work.
I agree! Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebird90 View Post
I like this idea very much and would even like to participate. You need to remember tho that most of us aren't experts by any means. We just take the concept and run with it. Sometimes just running with it and hitting a wall, climbing over it and keep going.
I actually think this would make a very entertaining and informative show. Just make sure that most of your subjects are every day folks like most of the schoolie members.
Thanks for your input. If you're familiar with reno shows like Flip or Flop, Tiny House Hunters, Fixer Upper, etc. you can see what I'm going for in terms of "hosts". Tons of personality, know-how, etc. Seems to be a successful model for these shows. It's going to be a challenge but I believe there must be a skoolie "guru" out there somewhere.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Hey, we're a couple with a bus and I can pretend to be an expert. And people always say we're a couple of nut jobs.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Hey, we're a couple with a bus and I can pretend to be an expert. And people always say we're a couple of nut jobs.
Can you send me some photos -- you, your bus and any other info about you and your partner's experience, etc? Send to Hideawaymusic@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you. Brian
Old 01-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideawaymusic View Post
Can you send me some photos -- you, your bus and any other info about you and your partner's experience, etc? Send to Hideawaymusic@gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you. Brian
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/sp...bus-17338.html

they're ACTUALLY doing it. Not just pretending like everyone else I've seen on TV shows featuring school bus folks.

You're welcome to come out next time we have a get together here in FL.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:52 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 90
Coachwork: bluebird conventional
Chassis: international
Engine: dt466
Not using a couple because they are a couple is just as discriminatory. You use whoever you thing would fit the bill. Tho It may be interesting to have the woman the mechanicals expert and the man the design expert.
While your hosts may travel around the country showcasing people that are using skoolies and the like, How about having a segment where people send in pictures and footage of their own rigs that would be shown on tv.
Maybe call it "Watchers rides"
bluebird90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Brian,

Your idea sounds interesting. However, who is your target market? 30 somethings? 40 somethings? I'm curious because my degree is Telecommunications Management. I understand quite a bit about market share, target audience, advertising, et. al. The "right" host(s) are not always easy to find. However, there is a couple that are touring with their already built bus posting on YouTube. They have a format that works well and attracts new viewers at a rate of about 10-20 subscribers per day.

A pilot idea would be to follow them as they visit skoolie members across the nation. You would have an anchor couple featuring new builds on a weekly or bi-weekly or monthly basis depending upon how you format the show. My thought would be feature a new build every month and show what the owner is doing to feature the varieties of skoolies out there. In addition, this couple can more than promote the build, but the local attractions and businesses, particularly the businesses helping with the build. That way your target audience has a broader base (weekender build one month, full-timer the next, and so on).

Marketing the program to advertisers that will benefit from market share featuring some of their products in the show - De Walt, Goodyear, Michelin, AC Delco, Shell, Lincoln welders, Hobart, Lowes, Home Depot - are just a few of the companies that we use who might be interested in sponsoring the show.

I have many other ideas as well, just not the $$$$$$ to see it off the ground.

Just some thoughts for what they're worth.

M