Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2020, 07:03 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I've always looked at it like this... There's going to have to be some trimming anyways but if that has been baked into the design it won't jeopardize the integrity or final finish of the product. Skoolies are DIYers anyways so something that's some minor modifications required is still better than reinventing it from scratch unless I just want to do it to say I've done it all myself from scratch.

Like right now I'm just beginning on my own project. I have this idea in my head for a sleeper sofa but I'm not crafty enough or have the tools to even build a prototype. If someone had a design that has seating positions that can be affixed together and then end capped with arm rests I could create chairs, loveseats, and sofas that are easily configured from a few unitized pieces. That's the kind of thing I think you could design and offer without getting too hung up on the differences in various models or imperfections in each build. And if you want the chair/chaise/sleeper sofa idea, PM me and I'll give it to you if you'll build me a few!

Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:53 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Caterpillar 3126B
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeGuy View Post
Here's the trick. Don't try to fit the existing roof line or wall line, but create a comfortable margin that allows the components to all line up from the floor, leaving a small, manageable gap at the wall and ceiling, then fill the remaining cavity between the component ceiling and the actual bus ceiling contour with insulation.
To add to this idea, you do not need to think about meeting the ceiling. Instead of customizing to floorplans, think about creating individual units that are attached securely to the floor and to each other, with, say, a max depth of 24" for kitchen units, maybe 30" for water closet, and nearly the full height of the bus. So these units would include a base, a wall, and an overhead storage. Then at the top, a 2", 4", 6" board can cover the gap at the ceiling. The center aisle of the bus would still be full height, so still plenty of clearance to move around. The design could be created in components that could be configured whatever way a person wants, but the intent is that they design their layout to your components, not you redesign your components to their layout.

Give me a set of sturdy, nicely finished skoolie units like what you find in the kitchen cabinet section of your big box hardware stores but not built from cheap, flimsy materials. Start with a few components that everybody needs and are time-consuming to DIY like drawer units, then add additional kitchen features. Expand to include privy, shower, dining, and bunk units. If you try to offer a complete bus kit, you will fail. But if you focus on a few of the sweet spots--difficult, expensive, or time-consuming to DIY but easy to manufacture with an X-Carve or larger CNC router, and you might be able to grow a decent following over time.

You could probably look at Skoolie builds and identify the parts that people tend to not do very well or skip over, and that might tell you where to focus first.
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:19 AM   #23

I like it
If you had the ability to scan and cut custom cabinets I would consider driving out for a few custom pieces.
treioosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #24
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
thanks everyone for the input!!!

i agree! with everyone

measuring is a problem. i've been looking at the laser scanners like Faro and wow! are they cool.

limited market is a problem. skoolies are cheap bastards that don't want to pay for anything they dont have to. i am a prime example of this.

the simplest idea is generic pieces that don't require anything but a flat floor and straight wall. you can go get pieces form ikea or a big box today and use them. the bed and lower cabinets wouldn't need bus measurements to work.

upper cabinets, bulkheads, bathrooms would need some more advanced measuring that that maybe could be done with a low tech jig.
while the generic pieces are meant for a bus.... its not custom...they will need to be adaptable.

if someone brought a vehicle to my property, that would be the start of going custom, using laser scanners, matching interior profiles to cabinets.

with the right CAD software, you can be a one off job shop. the first bathroom with a pocket door will take many computer hours assigning joinery properties, hardware properties. the second pocket door bathroom will only need to change the dimensions. if you are curious about CAD, check out

I'm still daydreaming.

keep your comments coming!
I think this is a great idea and if people pay $50k for a pre-built and already converted bus then I don't think $6k for something like this is out of reach for EVERYONE. The only thing I'd change is a customer sending a measurement to you. I'd add a discount for people who can drive to your location and you can measure it yourself to make sure it's the correct measurements OR include a flight or travel price in your overall costs and then you travel to them to take the measurements.
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:35 AM   #25

Guys, I'm just starting my project and it's too early to call it a business, but I'm striving for this. Guys, where can I find support, maybe an investor or a company that is engaged in outsourced customer support. When I read the stories of successful entrepreneurs, everything was simple. So they came up with something, quickly brought it to life, and reached a turnover of millions. However, business is not only about good, risky, and fun decisions. It includes a lot of work with documentation, contracts, and a host of other important formalities. So I need help.
Old 05-07-2021, 04:36 AM   #26

Guys, I'm just starting my project and it's too early to call it a business, but I'm striving for this. Guys, where can I find support, maybe an investor or a company that is engaged in outsourced customer support. When I read the stories of successful entrepreneurs, everything was simple. So they came up with something, quickly brought it to life, and reached a turnover of millions. However, business is not only about good, risky, and fun decisions. It includes a lot of work with documentation, contracts, and a host of other important formalities. So I need help.
Old 05-07-2021, 07:20 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
On my bus I made a perfect template of the roof curve for my full height cabinets. I did not expect the roof height and curve to very as much as it did. In some places it was off by over a half of an inch. As a woodworker that does custom work for clients I can tell you that being off a half of an inch is the difference of getting paid or not. Busses are far to unpredictable to make pre-made cabinets off site.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:18 AM   #28
Bus Nut

So much talk about overhead cabinets but to me that seems like it wouldn't be that hard. For one thing, everyone talks about the variances in the curve and the inconsistency of the curve from spot to spot even within a single bus. This presumes that an OH cabinet needs a top and back and must be fully enclosed prior to installation. In my mind I see it more like a cabinet front with either hinged doors or elastic strung netting to keeps things in place and a cabinet bottom piece. These two pieces are securely joined with an L-bracket or some fashion of the designer's choosing. The sides are either open to allow passthrough from one cabinet to another or an endcap wherever the cabinetry ends which is the only piece requiring cut-to-fit. If someone got creative with their floorplan they could plan that no OH cabin ends in midair, it always butts up against a wall or something. An any case, the only mounting points become longitudinal mounting rails on the ceiling and sidewalls to secure the L-shaped half-a-cabinet and the interior radius ceiling/wall encloses the rest. For added rigidity, a Y- or K-shaped piece might be in order, spanning from the mounting points at ceiling and wall then a secondary piece affixed to it and connecting the bottom corner so that L-bracket joiner isn't bearing all the weight alone. If someone engineered a modular section like that then the only customization is how wide/long do you want the cabinets to be. I guess if you wanted to offer multiple cabinet depths and heights but the basic concept is scalable once the initial engineering design is established.

Just how I look at it.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i pulled the trigger on a 4x8 CNC router.

it should be here next month. working/cutting by October 2021.

if you have a digital design you want cut out. well, you got a friend in the business.

Dave
Old 08-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Remind me, is this wood framed stuff only or can you do metal work or other materials?
Old 08-11-2021, 06:01 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

my main intention is for plywood and mdf.

most sheet goods are good to cut. i think it can do stone counter tops.

it can cut aluminum.

it is a router and not a plasma cutter. so no steel, iron..... hard stuff

i'm hopeful that it will cut out cabinets, doors, tables, with the right software, i'll be able to fit them to vehicles.

i'll know a lot more after it gets here lol

reduced rates for guinea pigs
Old 11-19-2021, 10:01 PM   #32
Bus Crazy

picked up my new toy today
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6700.JPG   IMG_6702.JPG  
Old 11-20-2021, 11:00 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post

picked up my new toy today
That looks like fun in a box. Can't wait to see some of your creations.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote