Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Slide out question

I’ve got a 84 international toy hauler. (Class A up front and a 16’ enclosed garage in back. Frame has been beavertailed and 8’ has been added to the overall length.)

That said, haul the drag car and mud trucks with it but the wife is looking to go diesel pusher rv. We looked at rv’s and the biggest thing i noticed is how much room a slide out gives! We looked at a MCI bus and while a highway cruiser/greyhound style bus, it looked the same as my schoolie, long narrow tube!

So, has anyone put a slide out in their schoolie and if so, where are the threads?? I used the search function but can’t find any.

goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I remember a few years back that someone had built a slide out. Seemed like a pretty huge undertaking. I don't remember who it was, but I definitely remember seeing it.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Great! Perhaps someone else can chime in if they’ve seen it/can direct me.

Oh, forgot to add a pic of the bus;
Attached Thumbnails
7774A195-543F-4F73-AA6D-3C283D3E8504.jpg   82B06CEF-3D14-4FDD-A789-065A1A5505BF.jpg  
Old 09-21-2021, 01:23 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post
I’ve got a 84 international toy hauler. (Class A up front and a 16’ enclosed garage in back. Frame has been beavertailed and 8’ has been added to the overall length.)

That said, haul the drag car and mud trucks with it but the wife is looking to go diesel pusher rv. We looked at rv’s and the biggest thing i noticed is how much room a slide out gives! We looked at a MCI bus and while a highway cruiser/greyhound style bus, it looked the same as my schoolie, long narrow tube!

So, has anyone put a slide out in their schoolie and if so, where are the threads?? I used the search function but can’t find any.
I found half a dozen posts by searching the term 'slide'.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:07 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I did a slide out on my little bus Honeysuckle Rose. Unfortunately, Skoolie.net managed to dump my entire build thread during a change of forum ownership a while back and I just didn't have the heart to do it over. I did, however, manage to save a lot of the info on another forum.

If you go to Honeysuckle Rose: the back story (on this forum) and follow the directions (and link) you will find the section dealing with my slide out beginning about 1/4 of the way down page 11. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I did a slide out on my little bus Honeysuckle Rose. Unfortunately, Skoolie.net managed to dump my entire build thread during a change of forum ownership a while back and I just didn't have the heart to do it over. I did, however, manage to save a lot of the info on another forum.

If you go to Honeysuckle Rose: the back story (on this forum) and follow the directions (and link) you will find the section dealing with my slide out beginning about 1/4 of the way down page 11. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
Jack
This reminds me that I've been meaning to write a script that will download and save an entire thread with the pictures. I really don't want to lose my build thread.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Well thanks ol trunt! I tried “slide” and “slide out” and got pages of everything but!

Ill look up honeysuckle rose, thanks!
Old 09-21-2021, 05:42 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
I saw a Foretravel RV with a single slide being sold that had reported issues of water leakage in the slide. They reduced the price by 3k which is the quote they were given for the seals. I would rather have a tight narrow tube than to concern over leaks and other maintenance associated with slides. I guess it's all what you want to do.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:52 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Well ive been reading for days! Excellent work Jack!
Wife is even interested!
I think i found a 10 spd manual for it as well.

Lots to do, thanks for the visuals!
Old 09-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
I saw a Foretravel RV with a single slide being sold that had reported issues of water leakage in the slide. They reduced the price by 3k which is the quote they were given for the seals. I would rather have a tight narrow tube than to concern over leaks and other maintenance associated with slides. I guess it's all what you want to do.
I understand that, pull in to the track at midnight after driving 6hr’s and its raining, i just walk to the back and go to bed. But, after seeing how much extra room a slide out gives, i have to do it.