Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Chevrolet 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcraftnet18 View Post
Hmmm, what about a new Fiat 500?
At 2400 pounds you're not going to find a bus floor that can support that kind of weight. There aren't any modern cars in the sub-2000s as far as weight thanks to safety and emissions tech.

Placeholder Bus Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 06:30 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Placeholder Bus Name View Post
At 2400 pounds you're not going to find a bus floor that can support that kind of weight. There aren't any modern cars in the sub-2000s as far as weight thanks to safety and emissions tech.
Three rows of 120 pound children with their seats would weigh about 2500 pounds.
Old 07-05-2020, 12:46 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: Any!
Coachwork: Self!
Chassis: Crown or Gillig!
Engine: Cummins 855, 400 HP or more!
Rated Cap: 36,000 GVRW
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO pilot View Post
This is several years old and probably has made the rounds here. I wasn't around then so here goes!

How would you get this car into and out of the bus? The multiple copies of the article out there mention nothing about the engineering behind this.

Yes I want to shamelessly rip this guys build!
Take apart a Mini Pickup, use just the frame. Shorten the frame to the absolute minimum. Convert it to air bag suspension so you can even eliminate the leaf spring rear suspension in favor of trailing arms to the absolute rear of the differential. Go to EV West and build a one-off, Micro, Electric car. Use Lithium Batteries so there is no acid (Electrolyte!) so it can be tipped up into the RV with an absolute minimum intrusion into the RV. Your Generator and/or Solar System charge the batteries so it is always ready to go. Something barebones that registers cheap, make it three wheeled and it registers like a Motor Cycle. The air suspension would provide up to a TON of capacity.
BigPaul367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #24

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomasbuilt
Chassis: 28'
Engine: T444E 7.3L
2-3 teenage boys could lift it, as has been done on occassion to an unsuspecting high school teacher that owned one, or a Nash Metropolitan, MG midget, Austin mini, even a VW made it to the top of the front steps at many a high school back in the day.
balawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:06 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
I have a MG Midget that weighs about 1000 lbs (lightest possible project car, custom glass front end, carbon fiber roof, etc). When I was considering making the shuttle bus trailer a car hauler, I found a used 4,400 lb gate lift for a big rig truck for $350 with a 8x7 platform. I found another guy who used one for his motorhome project to load up his miata, basically add another fold down section to extend the 7ft to 12ft.
The problem with this is the lift weighed about 1800lbs, more than the miata!
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:46 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 63&5
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: HPO
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 1
Hey everybody thanks for the input. I am trying to be clever like the double decker owner was, but without the engineering background of the owner, or even a bus for now. Not sure where I will end up but this forum has some very knowledgeable people. It is appreciated.

Except having a bunch of strong guys along for the ride to lift the buggy, they would probably drive it off and never come back.
UFO pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
british, car hauler, double decker