Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #1

Smaller Transportation?

What do those of you that are traveling do for transportation in places a bus won't work? I would like to tow our Subaru, but my husband thinks it will be too much extra weight and length. He wants to put a deck on the back for a motorcycle, but I don't want to ride on one. I want to be able to go into cities without having to navigate with a big ol bus. What in your opinion/experience works best?

Thanks!

LetsGetALife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Four things come into play here.

1) Your bus' max gross weight (GVWR)
2) Your transmission's rated capacity
3) Your bus' gross weight as you will be driving it
4) The weight of the vehicle you intend to tow.

Your transmission rating will, of course, be the weak link. Next in line is what the brakes and suspension can handle over the weight of the bus. And your bus' weight, plus any weight added by your conversion, will count toward the transmission's rated capacity.

A little more info on your bus and how it is built would help in determining this. Johnny 5 says: MORE INPUT! NEED MORE INPUT!

A good start would be in consulting the body build plate, and weighing the finished conversion on a truck scale (preferably a CAT scale, they are notoriously accurate, and guaranteed). Then find out which transmission you and what it is rated to handle. If you find that it may be reasonably safe to tow, make sure it can handle the entire weight of the towed vehicle.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGetALife View Post
What do those of you that are traveling do for transportation in places a bus won't work? I would like to tow our Subaru, but my husband thinks it will be too much extra weight and length. He wants to put a deck on the back for a motorcycle, but I don't want to ride on one. I want to be able to go into cities without having to navigate with a big ol bus. What in your opinion/experience works best?

Thanks!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
What big cities interest you in your travels?
How often and how long will you want to be in them?
Take the bus to the rural outskirts of the city.
Use Uber, train, etc to site-see the city. Cheaper and easier than a full time TOAD. Not convenient enough? Rental cars for a week are cheap...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 05:38 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Use Uber, train, etc to site-see the city. Cheaper and easier than a full time TOAD. Not convenient enough? Rental cars for a week are cheap...
There you go, outside of the box solutions
And maybe take a small bike as well.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:16 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
admittedly im a city traveller that travels from city to city.. so I often do like banman says when I cant get my bus fit into a place i need to go.. park it and take public transit, uber, scooter, if I am going to a bike friendly city and weather is nice ill even ride my bicycle into town.

if I were travelling to smaller towns or out of civilization i'd either have a Jeep wrangler 2 door or a smart car.. the Jeep mainly if i was going to go 4 wheeling..

I had a smart car for a few years.. towed it a couple times behind a friend's camper and never even knew it was there.. backing with such a short TOAD was a little pain occasionally since the toad was much shorter than the camper.. the opposite of what you want for best control.
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Not a bad idea -- Just make sure you treat an Uber / Lyft driver right. I know from experience these companies take 50% off the top most of the time.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:33 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: Unsure.Handicap bus
I bought a bus with a rear handicap lift so my Harley can be loaded and unloaded easily. I am waiting for people to realize that used cars are not, in fact, made from pure gold to buy something small and front wheel drive that can be towed behind the bus on a 2 wheel dolly. I am leaning towards a Mazda 3 hatchback or a Honda Civic.
Edit: My bus is a beast. Manual transmission with way more torque than I ever will need. 1st gear redlines at 1.5 miles per hour. I haven't used 1st gear since the second day I owned her. I max out at 62 mph, cruise at 55 for the best mileage I can squeeze out. Pretty sure I could haul a fully loaded 18 wheeler trailer of I had a 5th wheel and air lines on the back.
Mr_Geenie is offline   Reply With Quote