Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 04:45 AM   #121

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Hey Thud...great info above...or below? But I will add a couple of quick thoughts, not to change anything the others said...just more to think about.

I happen to like some of the transits as platforms for builds...and I love Gilligs...but the low floor you mentioned can make for a tough build. It's got different levels and it's hard to find tank or storage space underneath.

I also love RE buses...but for towing one of the challenges I didn't see mentioned...or missed mention of...is that with some buses it's hard to physically affix a good tow receiver, because the engine is in the way and the framing may not be conducive to that.
Hello!

First thing I want to mention is I am in no way bashing any particular choice in Skoolie platform. There are certain aspects of each that I really like, and some that don’t fit my specific needs. Which is why I’m so indecisive. I’m just in this crazy back and forth, pro vs. con mode. =)

But thanks for chiming in, those are great points. I knew about the different levels on low-floors and have been working on plans to accommodate in case I go that route. But I hadn’t considered lack of adequate under-storage. Partly because my initial build wouldn’t require any plumbing; bare-bones pretty much, would just need a hefty power source. Still something important to consider for the future though. In fact, I’ve complained about how much space is wasted on school buses that don’t come equipped with storage compartments underneath. Understandable I suppose... School children don’t often carry an abundance of stow-able gear =). But that area would still come in handy for tanks and such, as you mentioned.

And that makes sense in regards to installing a hitch receiver on an RE. The engine would certainly play a role in design. I have a good metal fabricator, but it’d still be tough to attach a receiver in a stout and clean enough manner to make it properly work. And would potentially interfere with future engine repair.

Thanks again, I appreciate all you guys.

Thud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #122
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
First thing I want to mention is I am in no way bashing any particular choice in Skoolie platform.
Haha! No bashing sensed, Thud. I, for one, really appreciate the thought you're putting into your process and responses. It pains us all to see the "I bought a bus, but..." posts.

Sometimes the best bus for someone isn't even a bus. Another new forum member recently pivoted from a short bus to a medium-duty ambulance, after doing some more evaluation of his needs. School buses used to be cheaper, but now that the market's getting more competitive some other options begin to look good...or even better...depending upon one's needs. Like you said, there are so many options...modern, vintage, electronic, mechanical, skoolie, transit, coach, ambulance, shuttle. Good for you, sir, for putting the deep thought in ahead of the plunge.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #123
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Good luck Thudd,. We by chance needed a slf bus to accommodate east access for the wheel chair of my Mom who was living with us.

I can see people being romantic about school busses and their perceived quality but having lived, towed and driven across the states for 5 months the low step in versus having to climb the staircase everytime is much more inviting then a " normal bus " is very appealing..the two steps in the back lead up into the bedroom and we do not feel it as a problem.

The slf buses have no underbody storage so creativity is a must..for us that was a benefit because we di not want gray and black water tanks ,neither gas for cooking.

We have "only 40 gallon" of water. A recirculating shower and a litter box.. with 4 people the water last about a week. We buy drinking water.

Cooking is electric induction..

Nice features of slf buses are.. air suspension, rear engine,. Low center if gravity,. Very high ceiling,. Much nicer windows and industrial parts.. these buses have to go 400000 miles or more compared to school buses that mostly can get dumped at 150000 to 250000.

It all depends on your intended plan and life style.

Good luck, Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #124
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Good luck Thudd,. We by chance needed a slf bus to accommodate east access for the wheel chair of my Mom who was living with us.

I can see people being romantic about school busses and their perceived quality but having lived, towed and driven across the states for 5 months the low step in versus having to climb the staircase everytime is much more inviting then a " normal bus " is very appealing..the two steps in the back lead up into the bedroom and we do not feel it as a problem.

The slf buses have no underbody storage so creativity is a must..for us that was a benefit because we di not want gray and black water tanks ,neither gas for cooking.

We have "only 40 gallon" of water. A recirculating shower and a litter box.. with 4 people the water last about a week. We buy drinking water.

Nice features of slf buses are.. air suspension, rear engine,. Low center if gravity,. Very high ceiling,. Much nicer windows and industrial parts.. these buses have to go 400000 miles or more compared to school buses that mostly can get dumped at 150000 to 250000.

Good luck, Johan
Love your advice Would you be able to me/us to any posts that would help design a similar recirculating system? I lived on 30' sailboat for 15 years and grew to hate public laundromats; so I am planning to add a washer/dry combo (even with their faults) and would like to include in the recirculating system. TY, Kev
Kevmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #125
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevmiami View Post
Love your advice Would you be able to me/us to any posts that would help design a similar recirculating system?
I'm sure he can give you links he especially likes, but in the meantime if you search "the hour shower" you'll get some good video links.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:46 AM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Haha! No bashing sensed, Thud. I, for one, really appreciate the thought you're putting into your process and responses. It pains us all to see the "I bought a bus, but..." posts.

Sometimes the best bus for someone isn't even a bus. Another new forum member recently pivoted from a short bus to a medium-duty ambulance, after doing some more evaluation of his needs. School buses used to be cheaper, but now that the market's getting more competitive some other options begin to look good...or even better...depending upon one's needs. Like you said, there are so many options...modern, vintage, electronic, mechanical, skoolie, transit, coach, ambulance, shuttle. Good for you, sir, for putting the deep thought in ahead of the plunge.
Ha, thanks...
Have a lot to learn, no question.
Another factor I have to consider is where to safely park something that large.
Also have to keep in mind that this is Skoolie.net; not transit, shuttle or coach.net.
Need to remain focused, I’m all over the place. =)

And yes indeed, supply and demand. I’ve been keying on shorty’s with lifts, and that configuration doesn’t appear to be as sought after. So prices thus far haven’t been so bad. Guess if you plan on living in one full time you’d want as much space as possible, and most probably have no use for a lift; makes sense. Don’t think I’d need a 40-footer, plus parking might be a challenge. But I’m sure there are those out there that can easily navigate their 40’s through a ‘bus-tling’ city. =)

And I love the ambulance concept, so many great ideas out there...
I appreciate all that originality, creativity and ingenuity.
Everyone will eventually find their own path.
Ultimately it’s all about what makes you happy. =)
Old 03-18-2021, 12:57 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post

Good luck, Johan
Thank you sir!

And thanks for sharing your SLF experience. This short thread has already become quite the tutorial.

Also appreciate the details on your set up. Going in blindly, relying solely on trial and error regarding plumbing/electrical/lay-out etc. would surely be disastrous, and costly.

Speaking of lay-out, beyond LF’s having multi-level floors, some other considerations are larger wheel-well footprint/height and whether or not to leave the racks/shelving above the seating areas. Some of which have lighting and air vents, similar to airplanes. They’re great for storage, it’s already built in. But for my initial build I’d probably pull the shelves to get more of that sweet ceiling height. They usually run larger motors as well, to accommodate the extra weight; which is nice. =)
Old 04-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #128
Mini-Skoolie

Yep, thanks to all. You've convinced me that I want nothing to do with building a skoolie. It would break in weird, expensive ways, leaving me with a critical need to find a part that nobody has ever heard of in Broken Bottle, Utah - while my only shelter spends it's time in the shop yard.
If I do get it moving, as soon as it stops I'll be overrun with the cops and likely arrested for being so damned weird and we just don't like yer kind. It will cost much more per mile than any other way of getting anywhere, and that's when it works.
Until it falls apart in a cloud of rust, of course.
Like many things, it looked like a good fit for what I had in mind, until I learned here what a total pain in the ass they are.
Thanks.
Old 04-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #129
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Silverwheel, for most situation I think you are right and I would think that indeed cops could give you more trouble if they have the feeling that you are not the norm, especially if you link that with certain attitudes.

It is amazing how fast this site has gone down hill as far a sharing of quality information and new ideas go into a babysitting site for people have no clue and are all about the "cool bus"
I have to admit that the lack on site maintenance in the form of sticks, organized information makes it hard to search for any info, so the same question gets repeated over and over.

Anybody who wants to convert a bus and is unwilling to do some good searches on the internet about their worries should not have these old vehicles.

So it is good that you did your research and experiment and came to a conclusion and closure.

Good luck.
Johan.
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #130
Mini-Skoolie

You've got some astounding assumptions, there, Johan.

"Anybody who wants to convert a bus and is unwilling to do some good searches on the internet about their worries should not have these old vehicles."

Yep, it's the old "you don't know what I know so you must be an idiot" theme that we so often see.

I'm not an idiot, I DID do some good searches on the internet, which is how I reached a conclusion supported by the evidence: finding, buying, somehow getting a bus home, demo-ing it, building a living space in it, so that I can spend the next however-many years babying it along and hoping that the next part that it distributes along the road is one that I can get someone to sell me...does not fit with my retirement goal of doing something NOT involved with hoping I can get home.

You're right - I don't know as much about old diesel engines as you do. It's likely you don't know as much about flying get aircraft as I do. Let's just skip it. I don't want to do what you want to do. Let's leave it at that.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #131
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Mr Robbins, Johan is not referring to you as someone who has done no research.
Obviously you have, and you are a rare person that in fact posted to acknowledge they are NOT buying a bus. I can only think of one other here who after asking some questions, came back to say he bought a van instead. Otherwise you don't hear from anyone other than those who bought a bus and want validation it was a good decision, and some here are happy to do that for them.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #132
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwheel View Post
You've got some astounding assumptions, there, Johan.

"Anybody who wants to convert a bus and is unwilling to do some good searches on the internet about their worries should not have these old vehicles."

Yep, it's the old "you don't know what I know so you must be an idiot" theme that we so often see.

I'm not an idiot, I DID do some good searches on the internet, which is how I reached a conclusion supported by the evidence: finding, buying, somehow getting a bus home, demo-ing it, building a living space in it, so that I can spend the next however-many years babying it along and hoping that the next part that it distributes along the road is one that I can get someone to sell me...does not fit with my retirement goal of doing something NOT involved with hoping I can get home.

You're right - I don't know as much about old diesel engines as you do. It's likely you don't know as much about flying get aircraft as I do. Let's just skip it. I don't want to do what you want to do. Let's leave it at that.
I see no assumptions made. Johan acknowledged that you had done your research and that you had come to the conclusion that worked best for you. I don't believe he called you an idiot or implied it so no need to go off all butt hurt and defensive.
Carry on and enjoy your retirement.
As always stay safe out there

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:23 PM   #133
Mini-Skoolie

Nice info here!
MrSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #134
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpud View Post
Nice info here!
Can be.
Welcome
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Also check to see if your state has a one-way-trip temporary tag like Texas does. For $5 in Texas you're legal to get home.

Have the VIN ready for the insurance company to pre-plan insurance. My agent in Katy, TX is very accustomed to us having off-the-wall vehicles so he's more willing than most to help us out.

Once you get your bus, SERVICE IT!!!!! BEFORE YOU GO HOME SERVICE IT!!!!!! When was the last time the oil was changed? Can YOU verify this? If not, the change the oil, check the transmission fluid, coolant, et.al. Also check the D.O.T. dates on the tires. ANYTHING over nine years old is considered a traffic hazard by most trucking companies. If you can't change the tires plan on going slower than you anticipated to get home safely. Higher speeds = higher tire temperatures = BLOW OUT. I kept my bus below 50 mph to save the engine, but the tires were borderline and another reason to go slow coming home.

M1031
Who is your insurance agent? I'm in Katy also.
Frogdodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 01:15 AM   #136
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
a)
Our rig -- 1996 Ford CF8000, Cummins 505ci through Allison 3060.
I am pretty sure our axle-ratio is 5:88.
We putter at 52mph in the slow-lane at 1,825RPM.
We rarely get better than 14mpg.
b)
I swap tires every ten years, whether they need it or not.
c)
Apparently, somebody thought our formerly commercial truck was near the end of its useful life.
We acquired it from a heavy-truck dismantlers (prior to anything removed), the components were/are worth more than a functional vehicle.
That was 2003.
d)
Nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, our Cost-Per-Use is close to naught.
Our Thrills-Per-Use is off-the-scale.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:55 PM   #137
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir5m4r7 View Post
I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag, but there are so many complaints about first world problems around here lol...
Welcome to the forum.

May I suggest that you start your membership on this forum with a post in the new members intro folder. I'd also suggest you add more information to your profile so folks know where you are and what kind of bus you have. When your first 2 posts are to 2 random appearing long dormant threads I immediately wonder if your trolling. Help me NOT think that and tell us who you are, where you are, and give us chapter and verse about your bus.

Thank you.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 04:58 PM   #138
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
OK maybe i am out of touch with things or am to old and out of touch with the latest greatest lmao type stuff.
could you please explain your first world comment?
are we out of touch with your second world?
not trying to be a pain but please do explain?
and its probably ME not YOU.
now that i have thought about it a little?
please correct me if i am wrong.
the first world comment means people explaining there personal experiences with there journey in building and living in there bus?
or am i that far out of touch?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 06:24 PM   #139
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ir5m4r7 View Post
I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag, but there are so many complaints about first world problems around here lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
Welcome to the forum.

May I suggest that you start your membership on this forum with a post in the new members intro folder. I'd also suggest you add more information to your profile so folks know where you are and what kind of bus you have. When your first 2 posts are to 2 random appearing long dormant threads I immediately wonder if your trolling. Help me NOT think that and tell us who you are, where you are, and give us chapter and verse about your bus.

Thank you.

Well stated Oldyeller.

I wondered why she introduced herself as mom's hot water bottle right after seeking advice on gaining residency.

Maybe she expects the same sort of reply.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:15 PM   #140
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeMac View Post
Well stated Oldyeller.

I wondered why she introduced herself as mom's hot water bottle right after seeking advice on gaining residency.

Maybe she expects the same sort of reply.
We'll see if he/she comes back and what the response is. I'm willing to err on the side of cutting slack to a new member unless/until that person demonstrates nasty intent. So far this individual has just committed a minor faux pas, not a big deal. Always nice to have new members even after shaky starts.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote