Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-17-2021, 04:45 AM   #121
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Hey Thud...great info above...or below? But I will add a couple of quick thoughts, not to change anything the others said...just more to think about.

I happen to like some of the transits as platforms for builds...and I love Gilligs...but the low floor you mentioned can make for a tough build. It's got different levels and it's hard to find tank or storage space underneath.

I also love RE buses...but for towing one of the challenges I didn't see mentioned...or missed mention of...is that with some buses it's hard to physically affix a good tow receiver, because the engine is in the way and the framing may not be conducive to that.
Hello!

First thing I want to mention is I am in no way bashing any particular choice in Skoolie platform. There are certain aspects of each that I really like, and some that donít fit my specific needs. Which is why Iím so indecisive. Iím just in this crazy back and forth, pro vs. con mode. =)

But thanks for chiming in, those are great points. I knew about the different levels on low-floors and have been working on plans to accommodate in case I go that route. But I hadnít considered lack of adequate under-storage. Partly because my initial build wouldnít require any plumbing; bare-bones pretty much, would just need a hefty power source. Still something important to consider for the future though. In fact, Iíve complained about how much space is wasted on school buses that donít come equipped with storage compartments underneath. Understandable I suppose... School children donít often carry an abundance of stow-able gear =). But that area would still come in handy for tanks and such, as you mentioned.

And that makes sense in regards to installing a hitch receiver on an RE. The engine would certainly play a role in design. I have a good metal fabricator, but itíd still be tough to attach a receiver in a stout and clean enough manner to make it properly work. And would potentially interfere with future engine repair.

Thanks again, I appreciate all you guys.

Thud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:29 AM   #122
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Near Flagstaff AZ
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thud View Post
First thing I want to mention is I am in no way bashing any particular choice in Skoolie platform.
Haha! No bashing sensed, Thud. I, for one, really appreciate the thought you're putting into your process and responses. It pains us all to see the "I bought a bus, but..." posts.

Sometimes the best bus for someone isn't even a bus. Another new forum member recently pivoted from a short bus to a medium-duty ambulance, after doing some more evaluation of his needs. School buses used to be cheaper, but now that the market's getting more competitive some other options begin to look good...or even better...depending upon one's needs. Like you said, there are so many options...modern, vintage, electronic, mechanical, skoolie, transit, coach, ambulance, shuttle. Good for you, sir, for putting the deep thought in ahead of the plunge.
rossvtaylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #123
Bus Crazy
 
joeblack5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: pa
Posts: 2,142
Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Good luck Thudd,. We by chance needed a slf bus to accommodate east access for the wheel chair of my Mom who was living with us.

I can see people being romantic about school busses and their perceived quality but having lived, towed and driven across the states for 5 months the low step in versus having to climb the staircase everytime is much more inviting then a " normal bus " is very appealing..the two steps in the back lead up into the bedroom and we do not feel it as a problem.

The slf buses have no underbody storage so creativity is a must..for us that was a benefit because we di not want gray and black water tanks ,neither gas for cooking.

We have "only 40 gallon" of water. A recirculating shower and a litter box.. with 4 people the water last about a week. We buy drinking water.

Cooking is electric induction..

Nice features of slf buses are.. air suspension, rear engine,. Low center if gravity,. Very high ceiling,. Much nicer windows and industrial parts.. these buses have to go 400000 miles or more compared to school buses that mostly can get dumped at 150000 to 250000.

It all depends on your intended plan and life style.

Good luck, Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:19 AM   #124
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Central WI
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Good luck Thudd,. We by chance needed a slf bus to accommodate east access for the wheel chair of my Mom who was living with us.

I can see people being romantic about school busses and their perceived quality but having lived, towed and driven across the states for 5 months the low step in versus having to climb the staircase everytime is much more inviting then a " normal bus " is very appealing..the two steps in the back lead up into the bedroom and we do not feel it as a problem.

The slf buses have no underbody storage so creativity is a must..for us that was a benefit because we di not want gray and black water tanks ,neither gas for cooking.

We have "only 40 gallon" of water. A recirculating shower and a litter box.. with 4 people the water last about a week. We buy drinking water.

Cooking is electric induction..

Nice features of slf buses are.. air suspension, rear engine,. Low center if gravity,. Very high ceiling,. Much nicer windows and industrial parts.. these buses have to go 400000 miles or more compared to school buses that mostly can get dumped at 150000 to 250000.

It all depends on your intended plan and life style.

Good luck, Johan
Love your advice Would you be able to me/us to any posts that would help design a similar recirculating system? I lived on 30' sailboat for 15 years and grew to hate public laundromats; so I am planning to add a washer/dry combo (even with their faults) and would like to include in the recirculating system. TY, Kev
Kevmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:36 AM   #125
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Near Flagstaff AZ
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevmiami View Post
Love your advice Would you be able to me/us to any posts that would help design a similar recirculating system?
I'm sure he can give you links he especially likes, but in the meantime if you search "the hour shower" you'll get some good video links.
rossvtaylor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:46 AM   #126
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Haha! No bashing sensed, Thud. I, for one, really appreciate the thought you're putting into your process and responses. It pains us all to see the "I bought a bus, but..." posts.

Sometimes the best bus for someone isn't even a bus. Another new forum member recently pivoted from a short bus to a medium-duty ambulance, after doing some more evaluation of his needs. School buses used to be cheaper, but now that the market's getting more competitive some other options begin to look good...or even better...depending upon one's needs. Like you said, there are so many options...modern, vintage, electronic, mechanical, skoolie, transit, coach, ambulance, shuttle. Good for you, sir, for putting the deep thought in ahead of the plunge.
Ha, thanks...
Have a lot to learn, no question.
Another factor I have to consider is where to safely park something that large.
Also have to keep in mind that this is Skoolie.net; not transit, shuttle or coach.net.
Need to remain focused, Iím all over the place. =)

And yes indeed, supply and demand. Iíve been keying on shortyís with lifts, and that configuration doesnít appear to be as sought after. So prices thus far havenít been so bad. Guess if you plan on living in one full time youíd want as much space as possible, and most probably have no use for a lift; makes sense. Donít think Iíd need a 40-footer, plus parking might be a challenge. But Iím sure there are those out there that can easily navigate their 40ís through a Ďbus-tlingí city. =)

And I love the ambulance concept, so many great ideas out there...
I appreciate all that originality, creativity and ingenuity.
Everyone will eventually find their own path.
Ultimately itís all about what makes you happy. =)
Thud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 12:57 AM   #127
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Good luck Thudd,. We by chance needed a slf bus to accommodate east access for the wheel chair of my Mom who was living with us.

I can see people being romantic about school busses and their perceived quality but having lived, towed and driven across the states for 5 months the low step in versus having to climb the staircase everytime is much more inviting then a " normal bus " is very appealing..the two steps in the back lead up into the bedroom and we do not feel it as a problem.

The slf buses have no underbody storage so creativity is a must..for us that was a benefit because we di not want gray and black water tanks ,neither gas for cooking.

We have "only 40 gallon" of water. A recirculating shower and a litter box.. with 4 people the water last about a week. We buy drinking water.

Cooking is electric induction..

Nice features of slf buses are.. air suspension, rear engine,. Low center if gravity,. Very high ceiling,. Much nicer windows and industrial parts.. these buses have to go 400000 miles or more compared to school buses that mostly can get dumped at 150000 to 250000.

It all depends on your intended plan and life style.

Good luck, Johan
Thank you sir!

And thanks for sharing your SLF experience. This short thread has already become quite the tutorial.

Also appreciate the details on your set up. Going in blindly, relying solely on trial and error regarding plumbing/electrical/lay-out etc. would surely be disastrous, and costly.

Speaking of lay-out, beyond LFís having multi-level floors, some other considerations are larger wheel-well footprint/height and whether or not to leave the racks/shelving above the seating areas. Some of which have lighting and air vents, similar to airplanes. Theyíre great for storage, itís already built in. But for my initial build Iíd probably pull the shelves to get more of that sweet ceiling height. They usually run larger motors as well, to accommodate the extra weight; which is nice. =)
Thud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 10:27 AM   #128
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 21
Yep, thanks to all. You've convinced me that I want nothing to do with building a skoolie. It would break in weird, expensive ways, leaving me with a critical need to find a part that nobody has ever heard of in Broken Bottle, Utah - while my only shelter spends it's time in the shop yard.
If I do get it moving, as soon as it stops I'll be overrun with the cops and likely arrested for being so damned weird and we just don't like yer kind. It will cost much more per mile than any other way of getting anywhere, and that's when it works.
Until it falls apart in a cloud of rust, of course.
Like many things, it looked like a good fit for what I had in mind, until I learned here what a total pain in the ass they are.
Thanks.
__________________
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
~ Tom Robbins
Silverwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:04 PM   #129
Bus Crazy
 
joeblack5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: pa
Posts: 2,142
Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford e350 2 mercedes
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Silverwheel, for most situation I think you are right and I would think that indeed cops could give you more trouble if they have the feeling that you are not the norm, especially if you link that with certain attitudes.

It is amazing how fast this site has gone down hill as far a sharing of quality information and new ideas go into a babysitting site for people have no clue and are all about the "cool bus"
I have to admit that the lack on site maintenance in the form of sticks, organized information makes it hard to search for any info, so the same question gets repeated over and over.

Anybody who wants to convert a bus and is unwilling to do some good searches on the internet about their worries should not have these old vehicles.

So it is good that you did your research and experiment and came to a conclusion and closure.

Good luck.
Johan.
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 01:31 PM   #130
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Posts: 21
You've got some astounding assumptions, there, Johan.

"Anybody who wants to convert a bus and is unwilling to do some good searches on the internet about their worries should not have these old vehicles."

Yep, it's the old "you don't know what I know so you must be an idiot" theme that we so often see.

I'm not an idiot, I DID do some good searches on the internet, which is how I reached a conclusion supported by the evidence: finding, buying, somehow getting a bus home, demo-ing it, building a living space in it, so that I can spend the next however-many years babying it along and hoping that the next part that it distributes along the road is one that I can get someone to sell me...does not fit with my retirement goal of doing something NOT involved with hoping I can get home.

You're right - I don't know as much about old diesel engines as you do. It's likely you don't know as much about flying get aircraft as I do. Let's just skip it. I don't want to do what you want to do. Let's leave it at that.
__________________
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
~ Tom Robbins
Silverwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #131
Bus Nut
 
BeNimble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 881
Year: 1999
Mr Robbins, Johan is not referring to you as someone who has done no research.
Obviously you have, and you are a rare person that in fact posted to acknowledge they are NOT buying a bus. I can only think of one other here who after asking some questions, came back to say he bought a van instead. Otherwise you don't hear from anyone other than those who bought a bus and want validation it was a good decision, and some here are happy to do that for them.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #132
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fraser Valley British Columbia
Posts: 801
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverwheel View Post
You've got some astounding assumptions, there, Johan.

"Anybody who wants to convert a bus and is unwilling to do some good searches on the internet about their worries should not have these old vehicles."

Yep, it's the old "you don't know what I know so you must be an idiot" theme that we so often see.

I'm not an idiot, I DID do some good searches on the internet, which is how I reached a conclusion supported by the evidence: finding, buying, somehow getting a bus home, demo-ing it, building a living space in it, so that I can spend the next however-many years babying it along and hoping that the next part that it distributes along the road is one that I can get someone to sell me...does not fit with my retirement goal of doing something NOT involved with hoping I can get home.

You're right - I don't know as much about old diesel engines as you do. It's likely you don't know as much about flying get aircraft as I do. Let's just skip it. I don't want to do what you want to do. Let's leave it at that.
I see no assumptions made. Johan acknowledged that you had done your research and that you had come to the conclusion that worked best for you. I don't believe he called you an idiot or implied it so no need to go off all butt hurt and defensive.
Carry on and enjoy your retirement.
As always stay safe out there

Oscar
Oscar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:23 PM   #133
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 12
Nice info here!
MrSpud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #134
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fraser Valley British Columbia
Posts: 801
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpud View Post
Nice info here!
Can be.
Welcome
Oscar1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.