Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2022, 09:29 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3L Allison D3060
Rated Cap: 47 prisoners
Spiders!!

I purchased this bus in Tulsa Oklahoma and drove it back to Michigan. I finished getting everything out, so it has a bare floor but I haven't pulled the ceiling down yet. I have noticed while working on this thing that there are just a ton of spiders. I'm taking it to camp in a week (just using it as a big metal tent). What's some recommendations to purge most of these things before I camp?

Thanks,
Sagz

Sagzster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:39 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
We talking daddy longlegs / harvesters? Or black widows?

If the former, I usually take a hand duster and roll them up with their webs like I'm making cotton candy, being careful not to damage their fragile legs. Then I set the duster in a corner somewhere outside and let them migrate somewhere else for a couple hours. Rinse & repeat.

If the latter...

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:16 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

They are mostly the latter. 🤣. Can I use a bug bomb?
Old 07-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
you got to learn to live with them they will catch and eat the flying bugs you dont want around.
they have a job we have to work with them.

as a kid we used to pull all but one of the legs off of the grand daddies and then you have a tick on a leash.
i know sorry. bored ass country boys at the time.
some spiders are good.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagzster View Post
They are mostly the latter. ��. Can I use a bug bomb?
Yeah... the heck with that.

They still make bug bombs? I thought those were outlawed by the Geneva convention.
I remember them from my childhood. Preparing everything you didn't want poisoned & cleaning up afterwards was a pain. But they did kill EVERYTHING in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
as a kid we used to pull all but one of the legs off of the grand daddies and then you have a tick on a leash.

I really hate myself for laughing at this, but... I did.

Old 07-03-2022, 01:17 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
hubbard i didnt hate my life as a child but after being in the military and going through things including camel spiders and japanese huge banana spiders i have learned that they are not all bad.
i did not teach my children that either have never told them that.
i have seen some big damn spider in japan/okinawa that they were lucky i was only given blanks.
like night land nav and i walked into mommas web and she was bigger than my head yeah i got in trouble that night for giving away our position.
little guys dont bother me anymore? except the important ones like the widow and the recluse and the scorpion.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 04:47 PM   #7
Bus Nut

There are a lot of brown recluse spiders in the Tulsa area, and the venom is necrotic - if they bite you, the meat around the bite will start rotting away. Spray around the outside of the bus for 10-15ft with an insecticide that kills on contact, THEN bomb the bus. You don't want them to run from the bus and set up housekeeping in your house. The only positive about them is they aren't aggressive, but they like dark places and if you stick a hand on them they'll bite. Yes, there probably are good spiders in the world, but they don't come from Oklahoma. We got scorpions here too, little reddish brown ones. The sting burns for hours, but unless you're allergic they're just painful.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
They have a spider in Australia, the Huntsman, that you can hear walking around. They say they're harmless to people and actually beneficial but I'm still not a fan.
If I had spiders in my bus enough to creep me out I think a couple bug bombs would do the trick (if they're still available). I try to catch the ones I see around the house and take them outside
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:27 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
They have a spider in Australia, the Huntsman, that you can hear walking around. They say they're harmless to people and actually beneficial but I'm still not a fan.
If I had spiders in my bus enough to creep me out I think a couple bug bombs would do the trick (if they're still available). I try to catch the ones I see around the house and take them outside

a buddy of mine sent me a huntsman he sprayed dead.. shellacked it before it curled up.. holy crap the thing was big as my hand spread out.. he said they are also quite fast so they are hard to "wap!" when you see them...

my red bus was full of spider webs underneath it when i got it.. no idea why there were so many spiders under a bus.. only were a few inside... wold spiders mainly.. I just sprayed the individual spiders as i found them..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:59 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah it's mainly the fear that I brought brown recluses back. When I lived in Oklahoma a co-worker of mine got bit and died a month later due to complications. They are no joke!
Old 07-04-2022, 03:37 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
There are a lot of brown recluse spiders in the Tulsa area, and the venom is necrotic - if they bite you, the meat around the bite will start rotting away. Spray around the outside of the bus for 10-15ft with an insecticide that kills on contact, THEN bomb the bus. You don't want them to run from the bus and set up housekeeping in your house. The only positive about them is they aren't aggressive, but they like dark places and if you stick a hand on them they'll bite. Yes, there probably are good spiders in the world, but they don't come from Oklahoma. We got scorpions here too, little reddish brown ones. The sting burns for hours, but unless you're allergic they're just painful.

^^^^^^ THE WAY

Start by taping a plastic drop cloth all around the outside bottom of the bus leaving slits where you can introduce at least 3 bug bombs (front, middle, rear). Once in place "tack" the plastic up off the ground with tabs of tape.

Next seal us any windows and vents in the bus that cant be closed

Begin spraying 20 or so feet from the bus with your choice of long acting poison. Spray a 5' wide swath all around the bus. Then the next 5' closer (take your time, you're driving them to the ground under the bus.

Once you've sprayed the last swath, right up to or even slightly under the bus, wait about 10 minutes for stragglers to make their way to the safe zone.

Now, drop the plastic skirt around the bus, go in the bus and set off at least three bug bombs.

Step outside and set off the three bug bombs for under the bus.

When the smoke clears and the directions on the bombs say so...open er up.

Certified Spider free..... I have to do a similar process for our garden shed every year for my GF
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:34 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamSkoolie View Post
Start by taping a plastic drop cloth all around the outside bottom of the bus leaving slits where you can introduce at least 3 bug bombs (front, middle, rear). Once in place "tack" the plastic up off the ground with tabs of tape.

Next seal us any windows and vents in the bus that cant be closed

Begin spraying 20 or so feet from the bus with your choice of long acting poison. Spray a 5' wide swath all around the bus. Then the next 5' closer (take your time, you're driving them to the ground under the bus.

Once you've sprayed the last swath, right up to or even slightly under the bus, wait about 10 minutes for stragglers to make their way to the safe zone.

Now, drop the plastic skirt around the bus, go in the bus and set off at least three bug bombs.

Step outside and set off the three bug bombs for under the bus.

When the smoke clears and the directions on the bombs say so...open er up.

Certified Spider free..... I have to do a similar process for our garden shed every year for my GF

OP asks for advice on insect control. OP receives instruction on how to set up a deliberate ambush!

Y'all take bug killing serious!

Old 07-04-2022, 07:43 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
OP asks for advice on insect control. OP receives instruction on how to set up a deliberate ambush!

Y'all take bug killing serious!

Well YEAH. My GF don't like no spiders. I hear a shriek and I don't freak out thinking she's hurt....I know the odds are she saw one of the many spiders within 15' of her at any time of the day or night.

Surprisingly, she someone manages to sleep with her mouth open..... I ask he from time to time "how many spiders did you swallow last night". ONLY when I have a clear path in which to retreat.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
Old 07-05-2022, 09:09 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

LOL. My wife blames every bite she's ever had on spiders. I tell her it's likely none of them are from spiders. She disagrees, however, so... they're all from spiders

I'm a mouth-open sleeper myself. Maybe that's the source of my recent weight gain?

We somehow ended up with a tick infestation inside the house a few years back. That's something that will make you wish for a house full of spiders. Won't bore anyone with the details, but if you thought cockroaches were best built to survive doomsday, you haven't met the tick. It took 3 straight months of constant effort - attacking the lifecycle at every stage - to finally wipe them out. They can hide anywhere, they can live for years without food (really, years), and if one single female tick makes it to the endzone & pops out eggs (numbered in the thousands, which hatch into baby ticks so small they're virtually invisible), you're right back to square one. Of all the life forms on planet earth, ticks suck the most by a pretty large margin.

Old 07-05-2022, 12:23 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Myself, I'm a fan of soapy water.

Insects and arachnids 'breathe' through tiny holes on their legs. Soap or detergent in some water--especially at higher concentrations--lowers the surface tension of the water so that it can 'hold' together even if 'stretched' a bit--this is where bubbles come from.

So when you hit a direct, center-of-mass stream shot on some kind of aggravating pest, say a roach, a wasp, or spiders, the lower surface tensions usually causes the fluid to 'form' around them and their legs, causing them to die slowly and painfully from suffocation. I'm okay with that, particularly with the flying type of pests, where the lowered surface tension also affects their ability to fly well.

In addition, it makes things bright and shiny when you 'clean it up', and it also avoids staining with pesticides, although I have seen it take off some eggshell latex paint before. Big fan of Simple Green concentrate in spray bottles for killing bugs of all kinds.

Diatomaceous earth also works well against most insect types of creepy crawlies. Something about disrupting the wax or protein or whatever on their exoskeletons, which causes them to dehydrate to death. As I understand it, that must feel like the hangover that finally kills you... Something else I am A-Okay inflicting upon the creepy crawlies trying to invade my space.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 02:46 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Myself, I'm a fan of soapy water.

Insects and arachnids 'breathe' through tiny holes on their legs. Soap or detergent in some water--especially at higher concentrations--lowers the surface tension of the water so that it can 'hold' together even if 'stretched' a bit--this is where bubbles come from.
Well you're 1/2 right. Soap is a surfactant. It makes water "wetter" and thus a better "solvent" for cleaning our clothes, hands, and bodies. It does indeed lower the surface tension of the water and allows it to "stretch" more but it doesn't help it "hold together".... Hence those bubbles you mentioned are extremely fragile.
Nope, soapy water kills insects that breath through their exoskeletons by making the water "wetter" and thus allowing it, not to "stretch" over the exoskeleton, but to penetrate into every pore of the exoskeleton rather than beading up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
Diatomaceous earth also works well against most insect types of creepy crawlies. Something about disrupting the wax or protein or whatever on their exoskeletons, which causes them to dehydrate to death. As I understand it, that must feel like the hangover that finally kills you... Something else I am A-Okay inflicting upon the creepy crawlies trying to invade my space.

Diatomaceous earth works great if sprinkled on carpets, around the outside perimeter of your house (when rain isn't expected), dusted directly onto your pet cat or dog as well as livestock.
It does not however, work by "disrupting the wax or protein or whatever on their exoskeletons"
What IT DOES is slice and dice the exoskeleton because, if you look at diatomaceous earth under a microscope, it's some scarry chit.

Old 07-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
Thanks for that HAM, at least I was in the ballpark.

It's evil, nonetheless, which I am okay with--at least when it comes to insect/pest extermination.

Drown bastards, drown.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:03 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
I have a contract with spiders in my house. They stay out of my sight and they're free to eat as many bugs as they want with my blessing. If I see them they die.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:19 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
as the spiders to clean the house and do the dishes. if they are like my kids they will disappear
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:20 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Leaf blower
rebapuck is offline   Reply With Quote