Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 01:46 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Ssi and rv'ing?

SSAsays i cant own an rv/motorhome but i can own a vehicle and own a primary residence. Anyone know of any ways around this?

I got mental disabilities like house bound agoraphobia, severe social anxiety, severe panic/anxiety attacks and a few other mental disabilities that i want to overcome by exposure (face head on). My doctors on board after i told him what i wanted to do and he prescribed me recreational therapy to help me on my journey. But after talking to SSA my dreams are put on hold.

C-ptsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:35 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Was wondering if i could buy the bus and put it in someone elses name thats willing to tell people its their bus and they are allowing me to use it/borroew it/"rent" it out to me. to help me overcome mental disabilities in which a doctor prescribed me recreational therapy for. They never said i couldnt drive an rv. Just said i couldnt own one.

Since being prescribed recreational therapy. I have gotten oral cancer and they had to pull all of my teeth (top and bottom) so eventually im gonna need my medicare for chemo and other medical needs when i start treatment. I want to be able to travel alittle bit (live alittle) and overcome some obstacles in my mind that has kept my body prisoner, before im too ill to get out of bed to poop. So i dont wanna lose my medical insurance. Or my only source of income.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:27 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
The other bigger question is can you afford to drive and maintain an RV on SSI? Along with a primary residence.

Or is going on short road trips and staying in lower cost motels a better idea?

I don’t think there are rules against being in an RV but of course the person whose name it goes in needs be very trustworthy .. you built it they essentially own it. And they are bearing responsibility that you are lawful in it. If the insurance lapsed authorities send them the violation .. you have to rely on them to register it each year..

If you owned it and drove it to get groceries and doctors appointments and everything else could you make the case for it bring your vehicle? Possibly.

If you can camp in a small space then a van is an option.. it shows up as any other car to the government.

A pickup truck camper? The truck is a normal pickup as the camper is an add on

I’m not sure what a van cutaway bus shows on a title / reg, could it slide under the radar..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:21 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
If nothing is said about you owning a bus, just an RV/Motor home, get the bus and leave it registration as a bus and get commercial for private use insurance, Do whatever you want to the inside of the bus. I don't think there is anything that says you have to register a bus as a motor home after you convert it. You may need a CDL to go that route, but since you are not driving it for commercial use, you may not.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:28 AM   #5
Bus Geek

insurance can be the sticker.. I know progressive wont insure them once they are converted.. im not sure if Good Sam requires the bus be registered as an RV to insure it or just meet the conversion item requirements.. thats a question for them..

registration costs can be an issue with keeping it a bus.. I know in ohio busses cost much more than campers to register... if you bought a bus over 25 years old you may very well be able to register it as an antique which comes at a much lower cost.. every state is different. my classics in ohio are a one-time $30 fee for as long as i own it..

-Christopher
Old 08-31-2020, 09:16 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-ptsd View Post
SSAsays i cant own an rv/motorhome but i can own a vehicle and own a primary residence. Anyone know of any ways around this?

I got mental disabilities like house bound agoraphobia, severe social anxiety, severe panic/anxiety attacks and a few other mental disabilities that i want to overcome by exposure (face head on). My doctors on board after i told him what i wanted to do and he prescribed me recreational therapy to help me on my journey. But after talking to SSA my dreams are put on hold.
I would put it in my wife's name, kids or whoever in your life trusts you.
Don't talk to SSA about the RV except if they ask just say you are traveling with family in "Their" rv as a passenger.

Enough said...
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:54 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Ssi did say i could own a camper. Is it possible to register the bus as a camper?
Old 08-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Ssi did say i could own a camper. Is it possible to register the bus as a camper?
It's gonna be hard to answer that question because each state is different.
More folks here might be able to chime in and help answer this but it would be super helpful if you filled out your profile info so we can at least know what state your in.

In Florida, this is what the St. John's tax collector has on their website.

https://www.sjctax.us/Recreational.aspx

Titling Recreational Vehicles, Mobile Homes, and Office Trailers

Requirements

Section 320.01, Florida Statutes, defines recreational vehicles as units primarily designed as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use having either contained motive power or mounted on or drawn by another vehicle. A certificate of title is not required for slide-in campers, modular homes, add-a-rooms, port-a-rooms or utility trailers under 2,000 pounds. However, trailers weighing 2,000 pounds or more must be titled.
The basic entitles are:
  • Travel Trailer – A vehicular portable unit including fifth wheel travel trailers mounted on wheels of such size or weight as not to require special highway movement permits when drawn by a motorized vehicle; primarily designed and constructed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational camping or travel use; and of a body length of no more than 40 feet and a body width of no more than 8 1/2 feet when factory equipped for the road.
  • Camping Trailer – A vehicular portable unit mounted on wheels and constructed with a collapsible partial side walls which fold for towing by another vehicle and unfold at the camp site to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use.
  • Truck Camper – A portable unit designed to be affixed to a truck chassis and constructed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, travel or camping use.
  • Motor Home – A vehicular unit built on a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis, primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping or travel use.
  • Van Conversion – A vehicular unit built on a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis which has been converted from a commercial vehicle to a recreational vehicle by installing certain utilities.
  • Park Trailer – A transportable unit which has a body width which does not exceed 12 feet and which is built on a single chassis and is designed to provide seasonal or temporary living quarters.
  • Mobile Home – Section 320.01(2), Florida statutes, provides a definition for "mobile home." A mobile home is defined as any type of trailer or vehicle body, regardless of any appurtenances additions or other modifications thereto, without independent motive power, manufactured upon an integral chassis or undercarriage and designed either for travel over the highways or for housing accommodations, or both.
More Information

For more information, please contact the St. Johns County Tax Collector Office at (904) 209-2250 or taxcollector@sjctax.us.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Ok. I spent all day on the phone with SSA. To someone in charge. They said if i plan to live in a bus that i converted into a rv/motorhome. I could do so if it is my primary residence. Id have to report to ssa with a change of address. When i did so i explain to them i plan to live in my bus converted into an rv for full time/primary residence and it would be exempt.

But i couldnt rent a home or own a home and own a bus i converted into a rv/motorhome to use as recreational purposes because it would be considered a secondary residence. Therefore it would be labeled as an asset.

Yea i can afford to travel full time. I plan to drive 1 mile at a time before pulling over for a break. (Baby steps) If the cops showed up Ill just inform them of my disabilities with proof. Im sure there would be some understanding. Just incase a business owner wants to trespass me for having a medical condition ill only park on right side of roads on way out. Then park on other side of road on the way back through. But i doubt i would be trespassed. Because if i were to go public about being trespassed because of medical condition/problems. It would be bad for business. Dont you agree? I can do alot of the work needed on my bus so i wont need to pay labor fees for a mechanic. Worst case scenario i can buy the exact same bus that doesnt work for like 500$ from auction and use the good parts as spares. Then recycle the rest.

I plan on making a youtube channel to help with passive income to document "my battle for change" and use my coping skills and maybe inspire other people with similar disabilities to help them overcome their fears/disabilities. Also want to inspire people with drug and alcohol addictions and inspire people who are criminals to make better choices in life. Im a rehabilitated/reformed career criminal. Been in the system from 5yrs old to 23yrs old and as of 8/1/2020 (10yrs no trouble) i am eligible to apply for restoration of rights as a convicted felon. Im also 14 yrs clean off drugs, and 12 yrs sober from alcohol. To me weed isnt a drug. Have a medical card for it. Just to clarify.

*edit* if anyone is interested in being part of my support group https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCuoGA...RwgyNJPw/about is my youtube. Sorry i dont have any videos yet. Im still working on getting things situated. I have a discord linked to youtube it has some proof of some disabilities. I plan on getting copies of medical records soon to also upload as proof.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:37 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
What is the SSA you are referring to?
Old 08-31-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
What is the SSA you are referring to?
Im on ssi. Not ssdi. By ssa in messages i was referring to social security administration.

Now trying to figure out how do i maintain psychical address for rv registration/tag renewal while full time rving. And rv has to be primary residence or it will be considered an asset which would then disqualify me off medicare and ssi income.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Im on ssi. Not ssdi. By ssa in messages i was referring to social security administration.

Now trying to figure out how do i maintain psychical address for rv registration/tag renewal while full time rving. And rv has to be primary residence or it will be considered an asset which would then disqualify me off medicare and ssi income.
I don't understand your situation. I'm on SSI and medicare. Own an RV, a house, etc. none of that effects my SSI
Old 08-31-2020, 08:10 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Well theres a 2000$ asset limit for ssi. If you have more than 2000$ in assets you lose medicare and ssi. Its what i been running into lately. I wish i had your luck lol

If it wasnt for bad luck. Id have no luck at all.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:15 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
If you can camp in a small space then a van is an option.. it shows up as any other car to the government.

A pickup truck camper? The truck is a normal pickup as the camper is an add on

I’m not sure what a van cutaway bus shows on a title / reg, could it slide under the radar..
Yep, no good reason to get a school bus here.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:45 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

I cant do small spaces. Im claustrophobic. Plus i have a 70lb service dog. Im not looking to get a huge bus or anything. Maybe 30-33ft long.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:04 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I don't understand your situation. I'm on SSI and medicare. Own an RV, a house, etc. none of that effects my SSI
https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0501130200
https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-resources-ussi.htm
Old 09-01-2020, 04:35 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0501130200

Quote:
A. Background of automobile exclusion

Based on a change in the regulations effective March 9, 2005, the resource exclusion for automobiles changed. For resource determinations beginning April 2005, we exclude completely one automobile per household regardless of value if the recipient or couple or a member of the recipient's or couple's household uses it for transportation.

B. Definitions for automobile exclusion

1. Automobile

For Supplemental Security Income (SSI) purposes, “automobile” means any registered or unregistered vehicle used for transportation. Vehicles used for transportation include but are not limited to cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, snowmobiles, animal-drawn vehicles, and even animals.
A temporarily broken down vehicle normally used for transportation meets the definition of an automobile. For more on inoperable automobiles see SI 01130.200E.3.

Seems to me that you need to have another talk with the SSA and get clarity. I would interpret the ownership of an RV (Recreational Vehicle) for the context of SSI as being ANY vehicle used for transportation. One such vehicle is exempt from the assets calculation.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:20 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Seems to me that you need to have another talk with the SSA and get clarity. I would interpret the ownership of an RV (Recreational Vehicle) for the context of SSI as being ANY vehicle used for transportation. One such vehicle is exempt from the assets calculation.
The person i talked to said rv/motorhome would be excluded as an asset if it were my primary residence. I specifically mentioned rv/motorhome. Told them i wanted to overcome some disabilities such as house bound agoraphobia so i can live a somewhat normal life and told them my doctor prescribed me recreational therapy. And that i wanted to buy a school bus and convert it to be a rv/motorhome and live in it full time.

But if say i was renting an apartment and i owned an rv/motorhome then the rv/motorhome would be an asset. If the value of which was over 2000$ i would lose my ssi and medicare.

Im assuming when i register it as an rv i wanna have it registered for as many years as i can. Before having to have it renewed. Because i will have to move into it that day and move out of my rental that day. (Not sure what the window is)

Im also assuming since it will be my primary residence and a vehicle.. I wont be able to own a house or a vehicle until i let go of the bus. As to not exceed asset amount. Being on ssi you're allowed to own 1 home and the property its on + 1 vehicle all of which are excluded. Anything other than that would count as an asset.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #19
Bus Geek

seems you could mnake a really good case for having your apartment and your motorhome if yopu daily drive it..

im a bit lost of your goals.. are you goaling for full-timing in the bus or goaling to have ypur apartment / house and going on periodic roadtrips in your bus?

if you buy a bus and drive it to the grocery store / doctors office / pharmacy / restaraunt / etc. and you dont own a car or motorcycle otherwise then it makes a good case of being your mode of transportation and you could prove it is pretty easily..

full-timing is expensive.. i cant imagine trying to do that on SSI but where theres a will theres a way

-Christopher
Old 09-01-2020, 08:37 AM   #20
Bus Nut

You can do what you are talking about. I have met plenty of people doing it.

Quote:
Ok. I spent all day on the phone with SSA. To someone in charge. They said if i plan to live in a bus that i converted into a rv/motorhome. I could do so if it is my primary residence. Id have to report to ssa with a change of address. When i did so i explain to them i plan to live in my bus converted into an rv for full time/primary residence and it would be exempt.
Be very careful of the advice you get from these people.. I have heard stories of SSA workers interviewing baiting and tricking recipients into info that will penalize or disqualify them for payments. These are low paid idiots who work behind bulletproof glass or cubicles all day.

You can spend countless hours on the phone and internet getting conflicting and bad info. Or-- You can write some questions down pay a lawyer for an hour of time and get real legit answers. I know people on a fixed income do not have money to toss around but.. you are talking about some fairly complex legal stuff that if done wrong can mean a big loss for you.

I had some legal questions once and paid a lawyer $100- for 30min, one of the best $100 I ever spent saved me thousands.

I hate lawyers. The term necessary evil comes to mind.
ACamper is offline   Reply With Quote