Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2024, 11:01 PM   #1

Stairs for rear exit

I'm looking to add some stairs to the rear emergency exit. Ideally they would be attached to the outside and fold up when not in use. I went to a RV store and they let me try some RV stairs to see if they would work. Sadly they do not as they are both too short and are also made to fold up inside the bus. I've tried looking on amazon but the scissor stairs on there are either very poorly rated or too short, or both. I've looked at attic stairs as well, but those are like 10 feet and I'd have to cut them in half, and I don't know what that would do to the integrity of the stairs. Plus they are pretty expensive. The height to the back of the bus is about 42 inches. Is there something that the skoolie community is using?

iceman341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:17 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
I have plans to cut a rectangular hole in my bumper, and build a slide ladder. You know how those moving trucks have slide ramps that come out of the bumper.

Just do something like that but with a thick steel ladder, that can slide out, and then have a hinge on the end so it folds down.

It obviously will require welding and fabrication to make something like this, as I don't think they have anything made for school buses specifically for this purpose. If you can't weld then it's not really an option unless you want to pay someone to do it.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 09:47 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
ummmmm

I too am going to cut a middle section out of the rear bumper. All of my

options will be purchased from marketplace. I cant find any used on craigslist.

One option has four stairs and folds into a "box" that is about two feet wide and 17" deep. I have a hitch on the rear already and the stairs will have to fit into the space between the floor and the hitch.

I like the pantograph type. I want more weight behind the rear axle so, I am just fine with steel. but there is an aluminum one that seems to be pretty heavy built. One near me in topeka has five or six steps and is too long for me. I need about 38". for that reach, four steps seem to be manufacture recommendation. May I suggest an RV salvage? I think torklift is the brand I am looking at. The pantograph style come in steel and aluminum. The big advantage with steel as I see it.... easy to weld.

I would like to find a wider step. I think I could squeeze 28" in the hole but most step companies seem to quit at 24" and many are 18" . By wide I mean length left to right.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 07:26 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Cutting a rectangle in the bumper works as I slid a uhaul ramp between frame rails and it was 30" wide and 12 feet long. I cut a slot in the crossmembers and bent some of the metal over to create a pad to slide it on. It went up to the rearend but not over it so I didn't have to move my air valves or hoses. How about looking at swimming pool ladders, stainless, nice flat steps and they come in different widths and so I am sure you could find something that would work.
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 06:24 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chey express 3500
Engine: 6.0
Just thinking out of the box. What about an aluminum step ladder cut to the appropriate size with the other side of the step ladder removed. Mounted on a tab or grove for easy removal. Seems it would be quick,cheap and easy to do.

KC1KDM
Jesussaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 10:14 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: 84 passenger
Engine: C7
this is what i did .. works great
kodiak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:27 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Iím just in the process of doing that as well. The fold up solid stairs were too long to be able to fold up inside the short door height.
These are the Torklift revolution series steps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1996.jpg  
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 12:35 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Torklift stairs off of Marketplace for $200
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1997.jpg  
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 02:26 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Torklift stairs off of Marketplace for $200

A note to those who are in or going into rattle snake country. I have met several people who have been bit by snakes using the steps for shade and protection, they appear to believe that if they have something over their head then the predators, mostly birds, can't see them under the steps. They strike thru the open faced steps when you come down the steps (you can't see them and they probably get scared from the vibration.)

Closed faced steps are the answer, but harder to implement on a movable/folding stair or you could just always keep them stowed except for immediate use. The ramp would also probably work
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 01:13 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
If I was me, I might look at three -fold ladders.
I could see mounting one section solid on the bus frame or body, leaving the rest to fold down to ground:
http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Exten.../dp/B0968LK1RX
How would I operate within the Three Points Of Contact rule for climbing on equipment?
A rail?
A Tarzan rope?
Knowing me, I would definitely go with the rope.
Definitely.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 06:07 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Thanks for that great information, I never would have thought of snakes. We do have areas of rattle snake habitat in southern BC so that’s definitely something to consider.
I did see that Torklift offers a soft folding cover for the kick area of their step systems so that might be going on my shopping list.
Thanks again
Cheers
Old 05-25-2024, 07:12 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
If I was me, I might look at three -fold ladders.
I could see mounting one section solid on the bus frame or body, leaving the rest to fold down to ground:
www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Extension-Capacity-Telescoping-Multi-Position/dp/B0968LK1RX
How would I operate within the Three Points Of Contact rule for climbing on equipment?
A rail?
A Tarzan rope?
Knowing me, I would definitely go with the rope.
Definitely.

I use a short step ladder, stowed just in side the door & hang onto the door when mounting, dismounting. The ladder is also useful for other tasks.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote