Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2018, 08:47 AM   #21
Almost There

Coachwork: Ward Vanguard
Chassis: GMC Vandura 3500
Engine: 350 Chevy V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Well whatever works for you, go for it. The one you're interested in wouldn't even have a way to haul a MC in it at all.

Something small that can pull a trailer would be my ideal set up. At least That is what I am thinking at this point in time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chongolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:55 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chongolio View Post
I appreciate your replies (and avatar). Thanks! I am not rushing into anything and have a few different ideas on what I am looking for and will work for my situation.

Ultimately cheap, reliable and something that can move a motorcycle hither and dither is what I am after. Being able to work on it myself would be a plus

I've got a shorty with WC lift and a garage full of 2 stroke mopeds!
I'm also CHEAP!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:12 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
You do know that diesel engines are very easy to work on?

They require good, regular maintenance, and if that is done they require very little else.

Occasionally you will have a mechanical issue. When that happens they are no more difficult than a large gas engine, and there are plenty of resources to help.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #24
Almost There

Quote:
I've got a shorty with WC lift and a garage full of 2 stroke mopeds!
I'm also CHEAP!
I like your style Brother and have started to plow through your build thread
Old 01-23-2018, 11:34 AM   #25
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
You do know that diesel engines are very easy to work on?

They require good, regular maintenance, and if that is done they require very little else.

Occasionally you will have a mechanical issue. When that happens they are no more difficult than a large gas engine, and there are plenty of resources to help.
I will be honest and admit to knowing nothing about deisel motors. I have only read and heard that they are much more complex than gas engines.

I do know that I have been around a few stinky loud deisel motors that gave me a headache. But I am willing to forgive and forget if they can prove themself worthy and meet my needs.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:45 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Headaches aside (medical at least)...the gas vs diesel thing should be driven by intended use. If your plans are for occasional use and limited highway miles in a shorter/lighter rig...gasoline will do the job just fine.

If your plans call for a lot of interstate speeds and pulling a load (whether a bigger bus or towing)...diesel is the only way to go.

If gasoline engines had any benefits at all for racking up lots of miles with heavy loads...there would be no diesel big rigs out there.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 PM   #27
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Headaches aside (medical at least)...the gas vs diesel thing should be driven by intended use. If your plans are for occasional use and limited highway miles in a shorter/lighter rig...gasoline will do the job just fine.

If your plans call for a lot of interstate speeds and pulling a load (whether a bigger bus or towing)...diesel is the only way to go.

If gasoline engines had any benefits at all for racking up lots of miles with heavy loads...there would be no diesel big rigs out there.
Valid points to consider. I am planning to hit the road fulltime and see all fifty states (at least give it a shot.) So the more durability and longevity the better.

As mentioned I will also need an engine a tranny that will handle pulling or carrying a load.

I have been taking notes on deisel motors to look for and steer clear of so I have not ruled them out completely.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Once you drive a few different diesels, your mind will change about a gasser I think. They feel great, sound great and pull like heck for the most part depending on the model.
Get out and try some out.
They are built better than gassers but once you know the basics, they aren't too difficult to work on for most things. The other things might take trained techs/mechanics but you wwon't regret a diesel purchase with your plans for the future.
As far as stink, gassers running unleaded and ethanol aren't any better, in my mind, worse than diesel.

John
Old 01-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #29
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Once you drive a few different diesels, your mind will change about a gasser I think. They feel great, sound great and pull like heck for the most part depending on the model.
Get out and try some out.
They are built better than gassers but once you know the basics, they aren't too difficult to work on for most things. The other things might take trained techs/mechanics but you wwon't regret a diesel purchase with your plans for the future.
As far as stink, gassers running unleaded and ethanol aren't any better, in my mind, worse than diesel.

John
Solid advice and insights. Once I get back to the mainland next week, my hunt will officially start. In the meanwhile, I am going to keep my mind open and do my best to narrow down exactly what types of engine and tranny in type of body will work for the needs I have.

Engine and tranny as stated should be strong and reliable to pull a trailer or haul a med sized motorcycle ir two.

Size prefered would be small and easy to manuever if pulling a trailer or med sized to fit a bike inside with a lift in the rear.

I have also included Chevy cargo vans in my search but leaning towards older modeks with low miles and limited electronics. Once again the Chevy 350 keeps popping up as the engine to look for due to its ubiquitousness and bulletproof track record.

Though, I have read a few things about certain Ford moddls that have solid deisel powerplants too
Old 01-23-2018, 02:03 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins
I agree. That price is pretty high. My 95 International 4700 with 105,000 miles was 2500.00 with 2 new batteries thrown into the deal from a broker/dealership. Shop around. You will find something way better for that kind of money.
fabrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 02:09 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

My old 350 burb has 430,000kms now and been great even pulling a house trailer at times. Doesn't want to idle right at present but hardly a whimper before now. Reliable as heck, no match for the Cummins I had before in a Dodge p/u that burnt up at 50k.
Not even close so if you want to be dragging trailers all over, go diesel for sure.

John
Old 01-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #32
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrini View Post
I agree. That price is pretty high. My 95 International 4700 with 105,000 miles was 2500.00 with 2 new batteries thrown into the deal from a broker/dealership. Shop around. You will find something way better for that kind of money.
Cheers and thanks for the input. At this point the seller of that bus still has not even responded to my email inquiry so I am moving on.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:03 PM   #33
Almost There

Quote:
My old 350 burb has 430,000kms now and been great even pulling a house trailer at times. Doesn't want to idle right at present but hardly a whimper before now. Reliable as heck, no match for the Cummins I had before in a Dodge p/u that burnt up at 50k.
Not even close so if you want to be dragging trailers all over, go diesel for sure.

John
Thanks for your feedback John. What is a Burb? I have read good things about those cummings engines too
Old 01-24-2018, 08:50 AM   #34
Almost There

Never heard back from the seller so I am going to assume that thing is junk and the seller does not know what they are selling.

No matter, after all of your input I doubt this was the right rig for me anyhow.

The search stays lively!

Old 01-24-2018, 08:58 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Quote:
Never heard back from the seller so I am going to assume that thing is junk and the seller does not know what they are selling.

No matter, after all of your input I doubt this was the right rig for me anyhow.

The search stays lively!

If that 04 Duramax price stays low you may want to consider going and looking at it.
If I had ANY way of getting it from CA to FL cheaply I'd be bidding on it myself right now.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:00 AM   #36
Bus Crazy

Chongolio, a burb is a GMC Suburban. My 5.7 is old running preety good but is really not enough power for such a heavy vehicle never mind towing. it is not a Vortec which has a lot more pep.
It would however pull a load like your trailer and motorcycles well.
A Cummins like I had gave almost 30 mpg loaded or not.

John
Old 01-24-2018, 09:33 AM   #37
Almost There

Quote:
If that 04 Duramax price stays low you may want to consider going and looking at it.
If I had ANY way of getting it from CA to FL cheaply I'd be bidding on it myself right now.
I would think having a motorcycle parked in the front of the bus would be very inconvenient and perhaps even dangerous if I was to ever wreck.

Also, I am concered that a bigger bus will lead to insurance hassles.

All that being said it would not hurt to look at it since I will be within spitting distance of that bus with a small tweak to my arrival plans
Old 01-24-2018, 09:37 AM   #38
Almost There

Talking

Quote:
Chongolio, a burb is a GMC Suburban.

John
I figured as much but thought maybe it was slang for something else or you typoed “Bluebird”
Old 01-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #39
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrini View Post
Whoops, I missed this reply. Thanks for the reply and input!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:32 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Quote:
I would think having a motorcycle parked in the front of the bus would be very inconvenient and perhaps even dangerous if I was to ever wreck.

Also, I am concered that a bigger bus will lead to insurance hassles.

All that being said it would not hurt to look at it since I will be within spitting distance of that bus with a small tweak to my arrival plans
properly tied down, its no more dangerous than in the rear. People haul MC's in vans right behind em all the time. The weight is best centered between the wheels anyway. If you had that front lift setup, all the business end, the bike, engine, drivers seat etc are all in the same place leaving everything behind that completely usable space.
Not trying to force you to like this bus, but an open mind and adaptive thinking can be real advantages in this sort of thing, IMO. Hell, the thing may go for BIG bucks, anyhow!!