Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #41
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Not being snarky but that's probably his own fault for not specifying a Canada-spec'd unit. Canada does have different standards and vehicles destined for Canada are built to meet those. Same goes for many models of car that are built in Canada for US market. However, because the differences are seemingly small, many people assume US and Canada vehicles are interchangeable but they're not. The two countries allow each other's vehicles and licenses to visit but if you try to register a vehicle you're saying it meets their standard when it may not. A friend of mine had a very similar issue, purchased a horse hauler tow rig in US and then spent a small fortune satisfying Canadian regulations even though it wasn't even meant as a commercial vehicle. I think the reason for people attempting this is to save money, there's a lot more negotiating leverage in the US and 'sneaking it in' tries to avoid import fees.
Ca as in California.

shorthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:13 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
Ca as in California.
That's even worse!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:02 PM   #43
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
That's even worse!
Sadly in his trade you go where the load takes you.
shorthair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #44
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
I'm no speed demon, but after a few trips to CA dealing with that 55 mph truck limit, I did a Cee-Lo Green... "And I'm like, F**K YOOOO-OO-OOO-OOH!"
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #45
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
I'm no speed demon, but after a few trips to CA dealing with that 55 mph truck limit, I did a Cee-Lo Green... "And I'm like, F**K YOOOO-OO-OOO-OOH!"
Im in california and its not just trucks. Any vehicle towing a trailer of any size also has a 55 mph limit. It. Is never enforced though up to about 62. Not much better.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #46
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
How does one drive a school bus home cross country if the state he bought it in won't register it?
Best way would to get a temp plate from your home state.

And remember you only need a lic to operate it for what works in YOUR HOME STATE.

It can be De-bused in as little as an hour. A case of black spray paint for all the lettering and lights and a impact hose and fittings/ sawzall to remove seats attachments to floor and wall.
(A truck can haul seats and not HAVE seats for use)
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #47
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Still has to be certified by DMV. Police can either choose to give you a pass or give you a hard time. And a truck over 26,000 GVWR still requires a Class B.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

I don't know if it helps but there's this Vermont Temporary Registration https://dmv.vermont.gov/mydmv/temporary-registration to be followed up with the paper forms filed within 24hrs.
~GntlStone~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:22 PM   #49

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International?
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Dt466e International
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplansail View Post
Wow, guys! Strong feelings.

If I were in my 20’s, I’d probably drive my bus home clueless, like most folks do. Many seem to have some breakdown horror stories, but make it home ok.

But I’m 60, more patient, and darn close to a high risk insurance category thanks to my kid’s fender bender’s. I live just north of NYC, so anywhere I drive I’m going through 3-4 different police jurisdictions. The largest vehicle I’ve driven was a UHAUL rental. The more I’ve read here, the more I’ve realized I don’t know. I didn’t plan to get a CDL, until I did some research and found the NY expects me to have one. My drive home would be 2,400 miles. My husband is an attorney.

Add it all up, and I’m in school for the CDL, and I’ve hired an experienced driver to do that trip. I do wish I’d done the CDL earlier so I could do the trip myself.

Barbara
Check with your local bus company, I am building a skoolie, and the local bus company paid for my license fees... 5 written tests + the driving test, paid the physical, and paid me for my time practicing for the driving test, Supplied the vehicle to test in, supplied instruction at zero cost to me, and paid me a bonus for getting my license.
As a semi retired guy, it was the best deal I could of asked for.... So these days I do a country route in the afternoon, and the rest of the day I work on my bus... As an added bonus I get free parts from the busses they are scrapping.
Scott56082 is offline   Reply With Quote