Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2022, 02:01 PM   #1

Year: 2006
Chassis: International CE300
Engine: DT466
Steel for roof raise

I was looking at 18 gauge Galvanized or Gavanneal. First I'm having trouble finding it in stock and when I do see it, the cost is over $200 a sheet.

Has anyone used Aluminized Steel? I can get this for $50 per 4 x 10 sheet.

KipperTheKoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
is that 18g for $50? I havent used it on the bus, but i have dealt with Galvalume which is similar. Its going a lot harder for paint to stick to. On metal roofs, they have a special krylon coating. If i had to paint it, i would try to epoxy primer it all before painting.

I used Galvannealed on my window blanks. It dealt with the moisture and salt mist during my project well. The paint adhered a lot better than it did to my galvanized floor. I got a 5x10 sheet for $225. Steel futures are down, but there's a lot of stock that's still selling at historical highs.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 04:04 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KipperTheKoolBus View Post
I was looking at 18 gauge Galvanized or Gavanneal. First I'm having trouble finding it in stock and when I do see it, the cost is over $200 a sheet.

Has anyone used Aluminized Steel? I can get this for $50 per 4 x 10 sheet.
I only ever used galvanneal cause I got it for free. I'd buy the cheapest steel in the gauge you want and paint it asap or at least get some primer on it.
Pretty sure you can etch aluminized steel with ospho then paint it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 05:04 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Yo, you need to head over to Joseph Fazzio, Inc. in Glassboro NJ to get your sheet metal. They have a whole warehouse full of scrap cuts you can use, way cheaper than the normal prices. One user here (or maybe it was on reddit, can't remember) found it cheaper to buy from Fazzio and have it shipped to Louisiana than anything he could source locally.

It's only about 40 minutes from Philly. I got all the material for my floor repair from there.
Old 08-22-2022, 05:06 PM   #5
Bus Geek

You're not the guy with the bus parked on Umbria street just north of Manayunk, are you?
Old 08-22-2022, 05:08 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Also, I second ECCB: you just need to use regular old steel and paint it. Paying extra for galvanized or galvaneal is pointless.
Old 08-22-2022, 06:00 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
We went to the metals retailer and scrap yard.

We ended up with 3 sheets of 4x10 16ga galvannealed for $252 because we found it in the scrap. They were full sheets but in the scrap because one long edge was "wavy" right on the outer inch or so. Wasn't a problem for our purposes. Just wish we'd gone with 18ga. The single window delete was a serious PITA to warp it enough to slip it under the existing panels. 18ga would have been a little easier.
Whenever I go there I walk the scrap yard looking for things like square tube, angle iron, and plate.
I scored a bunch of heave angle the other day at Habitat for Humanity in the form of a disassembled frame for a heavy duty rack. $35. It will likely be used in my battery box reconstruction, the bed frame, and some tankage installations.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:56 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP
Engine: CAT 3116 (TA185) / AT545
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Yo, you need to head over to Joseph Fazzio, Inc. in Glassboro NJ to get your sheet metal. They have a whole warehouse full of scrap cuts you can use, way cheaper than the normal prices. One user here (or maybe it was on reddit, can't remember) found it cheaper to buy from Fazzio and have it shipped to Louisiana than anything he could source locally.

It's only about 40 minutes from Philly. I got all the material for my floor repair from there.
METAL STOCK, INC.
4901 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19135-1401

They will cut any size you need, even "L" shapes. Very nice people, had the job done in less than a week (maybe 2.5 days). It might be called Arlo steel now but dont waste your time driving 80 minutes to get something you can 2 min away. I picked up with a uhaul truck for 19 bucks.
BusWanderer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 11:37 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusWanderer83 View Post
METAL STOCK, INC.
4901 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19135-1401

They will cut any size you need, even "L" shapes. Very nice people, had the job done in less than a week (maybe 2.5 days). It might be called Arlo steel now but dont waste your time driving 80 minutes to get something you can 2 min away. I picked up with a uhaul truck for 19 bucks.
I dunno, I just checked out their prices for sheet remnants. Looks like around $4 per pound vs. fifty cents a pound at Fazzio. That kind of price difference makes 80 minutes of driving well worth it, and Fazzio also has lots of other good stuff for sale that makes it worth the trip.
Old 09-01-2022, 01:09 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
I try to get as much of my metal as I can from the "scrap" portion of the local metal retailer.

16ga cold rolled 5x12 was quoted at $316 a sheet and I was able to find 16ga galvanealled 4x10 sheets for $0.90 a pound which gave me three sheets for just $252. The scrap sheets had a tiny wave on one edge that didn't affect my needed use (window delete sheeting). I think I'll be able to do the other side with some of the same in 18ga. Plus they threw in a 10' pallet with some good 2x4's which will get used on the interior so with the price of lumber these days that's gonna help.

I was out there a couple days ago and found a bunch of 1x2 heavy wall and 1x1x1/8" angle in the scrap. The 1x2 had just come in and doesn't have any rust.

I try to stay in the scrap area for as much as I can.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 01:46 PM   #11

Year: 2006
Chassis: International CE300
Engine: DT466
I called around and emailed so many places in the area, most didn't stock it and the ones who did were insanely expensive. I ended up buying the aluminized steel which many people paint but will need an epoxy or high heat primer.

My bus is not the bus in Manayunk or parked on the street, paying for storage at a business, secured yard and I have access to anytime.
KipperTheKoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote