Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2023, 08:58 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Storage before picking up

So I found my unicorn after a couple years of searching. Problem is its 8 hours away and we have our first child due in the next 2 weeks. Not a good time to go pick up bus. Its on govdeals, so no just asking for a hold if I win. Was thinking that I could possibly have it towed to a storage facility if I won it, but don't want to bid before I know that's possible. Has anyone else done something like this? How did you handle it?

dpeterson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 09:06 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
where? When?

Maybe someone could pick it up for you....
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeterson3 View Post
So I found my unicorn after a couple years of searching. Problem is its 8 hours away and we have our first child due in the next 2 weeks. Not a good time to go pick up bus. Its on govdeals, so no just asking for a hold if I win. Was thinking that I could possibly have it towed to a storage facility if I won it, but don't want to bid before I know that's possible. Has anyone else done something like this? How did you handle it?
What a great time to buy a money pit, sorry, I meant bus!

Dot the i's and cross some t's before any bids. Most important is that you would need a seller that is willing to release the bus with the bill of sale and title to a third party. Some school systems are very picky about this and others don't give a hoot. Then, have the third party to tow/transport to a fourth party to store said bus at a location to be determined. Since you will probably be over any grace period for an untagged vehicle, arrangements will need to be made with the DMV before driving it home. Here, there are some people at the DMV that will want to visually inspect the vin before processing an out-of-state title.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 02:26 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I've bought lots of buses off GovDeals sellers and have, universally, found them to be flexible and accommodating. Don't assume they won't hold it for a few weeks, unless you've talked to the contact person and were told "no."
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 03:04 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
I asked the school district if i could keep my bus there for 2 months after i purchased. After all, it had been parked there for 6 months after they decided to sell and waited for their auction date. I gave them a firm pickup date and planned to order pizzas for the mechanics on the pickup date. Unfortunately when i went to pick it up, the two guys i talked to at the inspection were off work that day, so the transportation director had to find the keys and stuff and no one got pizza.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 10:13 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
You can reach out to the district and ask about storing it, some may be flexible but I'm guessing most won't. Where I bought mine the auction had a very strict 10 day removal clause in the auction but when I spoke to them about arranging a time she said that was a district policy but she'd be flexible for a couple weeks seeing as it would take them a week to get the title signed by an authorized person and brought to the bus depot anyway.

If they can't be flexible perhaps you can take a (long) day, drive down, do the paperwork and have a tow company meet you there to take the bus to a storage lot, then turn around and drive back home?
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 10:55 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
And...if you can find someone you know or a tow company to pick it up, GovDeals does have a third-party release process and form. I've used it a few times, when a customer bought a bus but I picked it up for them. Here's a link to the form:

https://www.govdeals.com/attachments...nofRelease.pdf
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote