Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
Skoolie

Question Storage Locations in Maryland?

Does anyone know of any places in Maryland to store and work on a bus? Closer to Baltimore would be preferred, but my own search isn't turning up too many options, so anything you might know of could help.

When I look up "storage," I get a bunch of those ministorage places with the 8x10 sheds. I've talked to a boat/rv storage place that wants about $200 a month for a 40' parking spot. It is close to the city, so I'm thinking maybe that is an elevated rate compared to what I'd pay a bit farther out of town. I'm not familiar with the area, so I really don't know.

lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'd want to be as far out of Baltimore as I could get and still be practical.
I'd imagine the price of space is pretty expensive and hard to find. A guy I knew moved up there last year and was stabbed to death in a racially motivated assault on his bike ride home from work.
I'd not wanna park my bus anywhere near the city.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'd want to be as far out of Baltimore as I could get and still be practical.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have to move there because of work. My job is actually going to have me south of the city, so theoretically I could look for a place closer to the DC end of the state, but that's wor$e than Baltimore.

I have actually seen some decent places in town that I wouldn't mind living... just none big enough to park a bus at.

Note: Now that I'm specifically looking, there might be a couple places where I could keep a bus. I'd have a longer commute to work, but that could be worth it to live a little farther out of town. Plus, I see actual trees out that way. And yes, it is a bit absurd, but I am looking for a place to live based partly on the criteria of whether a bus will fit there. lol
Old 02-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #4
Skoolie

I found a rental spot on a lot for $100 near where I'll be living. That just might work, and it's a lot less than some of the storage lots quoted me. It's definitely worth checking alternative sources to the storage businesses.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasd View Post
And yes, it is a bit absurd, but I am looking for a place to live based partly on the criteria of whether a bus will fit there. lol
Nothing absurd about that in the least... Sounds like you have your priorities straight.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Nothing absurd about that in the least... Sounds like you have your priorities straight.
Exactly!
The KEY to owning a bus is "WHERE TO KEEP IT".
Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Heh, yup.

Hey, what do we have here? I just found a townhouse that comes with a secondary lot in the rear. A quick stroll via Google Earth reveals an appropriately unsightly assortment of boats, trailers, RVs, and vehicles in dubious states of repair parked in and around the other back lots nearby. Ho-ho. Looks like skoolie territory to me. Could be a jackpot.

LOL
Old 02-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Lucky break! Seems good luck favors skookies
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
I found a rental spot on a lot for $100 near where I'll be living. That just might work, and it's a lot less than some of the storage lots quoted me. It's definitely worth checking alternative sources to the storage businesses.
Are you living in the bus? Or just want to be near it? A lot to work on it in will likely kill you. I've been searching witht he same results using "storage". I'm in Essex, MD and there is a place near me that is $110 a month but no vacancy. Finally found another place. See question above. If you're parking it, it's only $70 a month and has room and skoolies already there!! The problem is, it's in the boonies. The g/f lives in PA and I drive passed the place. I don't even know if it has a name.

Nick Whiteford (75 yr old self proclaimed farm boy)
443-243-3237

Whiteford, MD (just short the PA line.)
https://goo.gl/maps/XzTnGZgJYSk
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Are you living in the bus? Or just want to be near it?
Oh, I won't be living in it. I don't even own one yet, though I've been checking the market out to see what's around. I'm just getting started and trying to find a place where I can store one if/when I find the one I want.

I think I may have gotten lucky with my house hunting, though, and found a place or two for sale where I might be able to store it on-site. We'll see. It's another couple weeks before I can put an offer in on a place, so all I can do is sit and stew for now and hope one of my selections is still available at that time. That would be ideal. It would save me from having to figure out a way to both store and work on it, because I could just walk out back and tinker when I want to.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
Skoolie

You might consider contacting wwofing locations as they often have open space, are willing to battery time for work space and may even work out a trade out workshop space for someone camping in the bus while you are converting it. https://wwoofusa.org

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh, I won't be living in it. I don't even own one yet, though I've been checking the market out to see what's around. I'm just getting started and trying to find a place where I can store one if/when I find the one I want.

I think I may have gotten lucky with my house hunting, though, and found a place or two for sale where I might be able to store it on-site. We'll see. It's another couple weeks before I can put an offer in on a place, so all I can do is sit and stew for now and hope one of my selections is still available at that time. That would be ideal. It would save me from having to figure out a way to both store and work on it, because I could just walk out back and tinker when I want to.
I'm doing it in the opposite order. Have a house I need to sell (divorce). Need to find a bus (don't have one yet either). And then find a rental that has room for a bus. Surprisingly that is easier than finding an RV lot.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #13
Bus Geek

That's definitely the smart way! find the place to store it FIRST!
Kudos to you, for being smarter than I was my first go-round with bus ownership.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Not quite, my first bid was pre-location. Push come to shove I could live it at mom's or dad's but those are 10 and 14 hrs away. Smart money would be sell the house first. But I ain't known for that. I talk and talk but do nothing. Then out of the blue I jump both feet in. Buying a bus would force me to get off my ass.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5,9 12V
Rated Cap: 24 seats, 3 wheelchairs
Quote:
Does anyone know of any places in Maryland to store and work on a bus? Closer to Baltimore would be preferred, but my own search isn't turning up too many options, so anything you might know of could help.

When I look up "storage," I get a bunch of those ministorage places with the 8x10 sheds. I've talked to a boat/rv storage place that wants about $200 a month for a 40' parking spot. It is close to the city, so I'm thinking maybe that is an elevated rate compared to what I'd pay a bit farther out of town. I'm not familiar with the area, so I really don't know.

Did you end up finding a place - and a bus? My first thought was to network and see if you can find any new friends that have some land and don't mind you parking on it. I may have some leads if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
natedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:52 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

I can't find anyplace anywhere near my close-to-but-outside-the-Beltway home at all. I can find storage in Annapolis for $200/month, but they don't allow working on it, and it's one of those places that stack them in like sardines and merrily assume that every RV between you and the gate will start right up when you need it to.

I've got a friend on the Eastern Shore looking around for me. If you're in Balto, I did see a few places in Frederick and Hagerstown that looked promising but didn't follow up.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:38 PM   #17
Almost There

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5,9 12V
Rated Cap: 24 seats, 3 wheelchairs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
I can't find anyplace anywhere near my close-to-but-outside-the-Beltway home at all. I can find storage in Annapolis for $200/month, but they don't allow working on it, and it's one of those places that stack them in like sardines and merrily assume that every RV between you and the gate will start right up when you need it to.

I've got a friend on the Eastern Shore looking around for me. If you're in Balto, I did see a few places in Frederick and Hagerstown that looked promising but didn't follow up.

What accommodations do you need? Just a place to park, or do you need power and water or other stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
natedlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Whiteford, MD has a lot with space that is $80 a month. Cheaper if you pay in advance for a full year. I was in there for a month before getting on base parking. I don't remember if there were any outlets out there or not.

By now you must have a house. Still looking for storage?
Old 07-25-2017, 05:00 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedlee View Post
What accommodations do you need? Just a place to park, or do you need power and water or other stuff?
WHEN I GET A BUS which I do not currently have one of, I'd be happy with a 10x50 patch of level ground to park on and permission to work there. Extra credit given for an electrical outlet to plug tools into and a shed to take a leak behind. I'm willing to lock all my tools and such in the bus, and haul my trash out each time. I'm a "leave it cleaner than you found it" type of guy.

I'd like to find or build something large enough to cover it from the rain while I do a roof raise and paint it. Think lots of 2x4s and 6 mil plastic, like an old hippie greenhouse. Maybe cut a deal with the landowner to build something that might last on a shared cost basis and leave it there when I go.

No water. I'm not looking to live in it while I build.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Whiteford, MD has a lot with space that is $80 a month. Cheaper if you pay in advance for a full year. I was in there for a month before getting on base parking. I don't remember if there were any outlets out there or not.

By now you must have a house. Still looking for storage?
Was that question for me, Bob? I have 3 houses but I'm not living in any of them. My "official" paperwork address is Burtonsville MD and I'm living in a free apt in west Annapolis. 2 houses in NH; 1 retirement, one rental.

Whiteford, MD (not to worry; they've never heard of me either) Googles out as 80 minutes from B'ville and 90 from Naptown. My Eastern Shore bud thinks he can hook me up with a farmer friend of his for like $50 in Denton - 45 mins from Annapolis.

Or were you talking to someone else?