Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2022, 03:11 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
street legal UTV / ATV options?

I wish to have the ability to tow as small a UTV/ATV as possible behind the bus in an enclosed trailer.

This vehicle would be used for grocery-getting primarily, but I want it to also be able to transport 1 other person + a medium/large size dog in the case of a medical emergency (either the person, or the dog). For this reason I believe some type of 'bed' would be mandatory.

I don't care how fast it is or isn't, except that it needs to be fast enough to be legal to operate on surface streets. Which brings me to the next point: it needs to be street legal from every standpoint other than speed as well.

Looking for the best value, that's still a quality manufacturer. Big 4 preferred (honda/suzuki/yamaha/kawi), but don't know what's out there, so not make this exclusive. Definitely no chinese junk.

Really, really want to stay < $10K new (which means we'll hopefully find the same thing used for less). But if that's not doable....

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Have zero experience in this arena and I know there's so much out there...

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 05:04 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

I may want this thread deleted. I just started some reading on my own, and apparently the rest of the world isn't Arizona. I had no idea it was so rare for ATVs/UTVs to be allowed on public roads. It is.

That sucks. Motorcycle would be fine for groceries, but I really wanted a way to transport pets or a human...

Which brought me to this... It's stupid, on steriods.
https://www.goruffly.com/motorcycle-dog-carrier/

Old 02-12-2022, 10:08 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 5 Window
For 10k or the price of a cheaper new UTV you could get a cheap small used car and the tow set-up. This gives you better options and weight wouldn't be much different once you figure the enclosed trailer for the UTV.
I think the issue most places have with UTV's is the tires. Not good at all on the street. Some cities will allow it even if it isn't legal but you run the risk of a state trooper or the rule follower citing you. If you have turn signals and working lights with helmets on.
Spaznaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Thanks Spaz. I think you're 100% on the money.
The problem, of course, is that the car will become another project I'm starting to think of that baja bug project we've been dreaming about in the past.