Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #1

Year: 1990
Engine: Cummins 8.3ta
Struggling conversion. To keep or sell? What is it even worth? Could use some help.

Hi all,

I'm really hoping to get some opinions on this as I'm feeling pretty lost. I bought a 1990 Bluebird All American, front engine, with a Cummins 8.3TA a few years back with the idea that I was going to live it full time. I've done a partial conversion. I've insulated the floors and lower walls (did not take out ceiling or wall panels above windows.) I wired the walls, put down engineered hardwoods, and built cabinets. I have two 40 gallon water tanks and two 46 gallon water tanks for it, four solar panels, pure sine wave inverter, a stock tank for shower/washtub, and a 1940s propane stove out of an old Spartan travel trailer in it. Mechanically, the bus is sound. I had to replace the serpentine belt on it, but other than that it made it up to CT from NC, where I bought it, with no problems. The wiring in the dash needs work as the gauges don't work and while the tires look fine, they definitely need to be replaced before any extensive travel were to take place. My problem is that I'm moving back down to NC and will have no where to park it or work on it there and it is currently on a relative's property right now and he'd like me to remove it before heading down there (understandably.) I just don't know if it's worth the extra work and money if I don't have any land or plans to travel in the next few years, but I'm also worried because I bought it and started the conversion naively believing that I was going to live in it and therefore I never thought about the resale value of it. Any idea what I should ask for it, if I do list it?

Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks for reading all of that.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2891.jpg   IMG_3269.jpg   IMG_3271.jpg   IMG_3335 2.jpg  

zm1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Chevrolet 427
Don't give up on your dream! Might be worth trying to find a place in NC where you can park it. There are lost of people in this group from all over that might have or know of a spot.
Placeholder Bus Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: E-350; 4x4 Minibus
Engine: 351c.i.
You've done all the hard work, why give up now? Why not live in it where you're going? Build out the rest as you go. I don't understand why so many people lose interest after the steps you've made it through. You're onto the fun steps! I see this time and time again though, so, you're not alone. I'd say keep it.
Old 05-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Lot's of farm land in NC...You will find a way !!!
Attached Thumbnails
12_34.jpg  
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #5

Year: 1990
Engine: Cummins 8.3ta
Thank you for your insight. You're right, it would be a shame to give up now. It's just hard to think about putting more money into it without land or a solid plan. Also the reality of freezing watertanks/pipes and zoning laws got me down.
zm1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
where are you moving to in NC.
i say keep and if nothing else find a storage lot for it where you can go work on it or keep it there until you talk to people around town that might know a spot.
even at this point you probably wont get the amount back that you have invested so might as well keep and use to get your money worth out it by enjoying it.
if you were moving close to me i might be able to help.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:26 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1994 View Post
Also the reality of freezing watertanks/pipes and zoning laws got me down.
Empty the water tanks when it gets down to freezing temperature or consider installing a heating element in your fresh water tank. they are cheap.

Zoning laws...we all got them! who cares..just move on!

Here is a plan that I would try if I was in your shoes..

I would suggest calling the town clerk in city hall in the town your moving to and ask her for a some help. I would start by asking if they have a local business association. If so then contact them and ask them for help. Ask of possible places where you can store the bus. You might get lucky and find a small business that may just want to rent out some parking space.

I would also try locating and calling commercial storage facilities and tow yards. they both are in the business of STORAGE! You might get lucky and get either direct help or maybe they too might know someone who can help out.

Don't give up!
This september will be 2 years I bought mine. Lack of time (helping a friend with their bus before working on mine) and money has slowed me down but...after fixing much rust, raising the roof 18 inches... I just bought the sheet metal to skin the sides!

woohoo !!!

Got a long way to go but... Slow and steady gets you across the finish line!

Don't give up!
You might just regret it!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote