Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
If I had the money, time and space.....

Take one of the rust belt 2004-2005 buses with a 5.9 and Allison 2000 and perform a transplant.

That could be a sweet ride

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:55 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
If I had the money, time and space.....

Take one of the rust belt 2004-2005 buses with a 5.9 and Allison 2000 and perform a transplant.

That could be a sweet ride[emoji2]
Yeah but way more than I'm wanting to take on

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Sure would be fun to convert that old bus though it is not nearly as old as advertised.
I’ve always been a bit of a Studebaker fan and when I saw this thread I knew the seller of this bus didn’t know what he had. The bus is a 1962 Studebaker “E” truck model with a Stude built 289ci gas engine and likely the cast steel 3 spd Borg Warner second gear start auto trans. It clearly is not a diesel as it has wheels with a center bolt pattern rather than the Dayton wheels used on a diesel. Its full designation would be a Transtar E28A (giving it a 16,000 pound GVW) equipped with a Superior bus body.
Google “Studebaker 7E truck” and go to images to see a very nice bright red 7E with the center lug arrangement (Printerest picture).
The following quote is from a Studebaker Drivers Club article on the history of Studebaker trucks:
“The 1/2, 3/4, and 1-ton trucks were generally available with both 6-cylinder and V8 engines (no six-cylinder engines were available in the 1-ton trucks after 1960). Larger trucks came with V8s only. Beginning with the 1962 7E models, a 130 hp (97 kW) 212 cu in (3.5 L) Detroit diesel engine was also available in those of 1-ton or above capacity, and air brakes could be had on 2-ton models. A "96BBC" (meaning 96 inches from bumper to back of cab) was available in both gasoline- and diesel-powered models beginning in 1962. The short cab length was achieved by deleting the fiberglass grille, flattening the front of the hood, and applying a very distinctive flat nose below the hood. This model was produced in response to some state laws that restricted the overall length of tractor trailers, and thus permitted the use of longer trailers. In the last two model years a 97 hp (72 kW) 159 cu in (2.6 L) three-cylinder Detroit Diesel 3D-53 engine was offered in 1 and 1˝-ton configurations (8E15 and 8E25). Production of these models were very low, although they continued to be available until the end in 1964.”
Another quick search on Google for “Studebaker school buses” will show Stude school buses as far back as the early 1930’s.

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:10 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Sure would be fun to convert that old bus though it is not nearly as old as advertised.
I’ve always been a bit of a Studebaker fan and when I saw this thread I knew the seller of this bus didn’t know what he had. The bus is a 1962 Studebaker “E” truck model with a Stude built 289ci gas engine and likely the cast steel 3 spd Borg Warner second gear start auto trans. It clearly is not a diesel as it has wheels with a center bolt pattern rather than the Dayton wheels used on a diesel. Its full designation would be a Transtar E28A (giving it a 16,000 pound GVW) equipped with a Superior bus body.
Google “Studebaker 7E truck” and go to images to see a very nice bright red 7E with the center lug arrangement (Printerest picture).
The following quote is from a Studebaker Drivers Club article on the history of Studebaker trucks:
“The 1/2, 3/4, and 1-ton trucks were generally available with both 6-cylinder and V8 engines (no six-cylinder engines were available in the 1-ton trucks after 1960). Larger trucks came with V8s only. Beginning with the 1962 7E models, a 130 hp (97 kW) 212 cu in (3.5 L) Detroit diesel engine was also available in those of 1-ton or above capacity, and air brakes could be had on 2-ton models. A "96BBC" (meaning 96 inches from bumper to back of cab) was available in both gasoline- and diesel-powered models beginning in 1962. The short cab length was achieved by deleting the fiberglass grille, flattening the front of the hood, and applying a very distinctive flat nose below the hood. This model was produced in response to some state laws that restricted the overall length of tractor trailers, and thus permitted the use of longer trailers. In the last two model years a 97 hp (72 kW) 159 cu in (2.6 L) three-cylinder Detroit Diesel 3D-53 engine was offered in 1 and 1˝-ton configurations (8E15 and 8E25). Production of these models were very low, although they continued to be available until the end in 1964.”
Another quick search on Google for “Studebaker school buses” will show Stude school buses as far back as the early 1930’s.

Jack
My birth year...sigh

Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post

Jack
Don't get me started. I'll write pages about different set ups I would put in place. My fav I think is the 5.9/6.7 Cummins with a NV5500 five speed trans, two speed rear axle, Alcoa wheels, and I'll stop there before I max out the forums bandwidth.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I really think you should jump on that Stude Jack. We all need another project of yours to follow! They are always such fun.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:21 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Don't get me started. I'll write pages about different set ups I would put in place. My fav I think is the 5.9/6.7 Cummins with a NV5500 five speed trans, two speed rear axle, Alcoa wheels, and I'll stop there before I max out the forums bandwidth.
Lol...