Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2021, 06:27 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
In two years now our 99 Miata hasn't "lost" any oil. No regrets on ditching that horrid Crosstrek and Impreza.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #42
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the older subarus were great, the brand new subarus thus far look pretty good. but those in between. . 2005-2015 years are pretty crappy.. they did some redesigning in 2016 which has seemingly made things better.. that said id still rather have a real hotrod instead of an Sti. and id rather have an old step van instead of a subaru cross-over..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
my son had a '15 or 16 outback. He and I both service our own vehicles. His engine seized at around 18ooo miles. Since he didn't have receipts for oil changes the dealer in Columbus was no help AT ALL. Cost him about 6g to have the engine replaced. That pretty much sums up my family's experience with subaru...never again!
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 10:06 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
My ex had an older Subaru that unknowingly had a salvage title. It kept burning through head gaskets. As previously mentioned, Subaru has apparently addressed this in later year models, but I wouldn't touch an older model for that reason.

In a somewhat non-related issue, but something I recently learned, if you have to replace a single tire on an AWD vehicle, you supposedly have to replace all four (4!) if the tread is below a certain depth.

Apparently, this is because the AWD is so sensitive to tread depth changes that it will mess up the AWD.

If I had known this, I would have bought 4WD instead and had more control the drive system.

Just my 2c.

Best of luck.
Old 03-19-2021, 10:45 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
my son had a '15 or 16 outback. He and I both service our own vehicles. His engine seized at around 18ooo miles. Since he didn't have receipts for oil changes the dealer in Columbus was no help AT ALL. Cost him about 6g to have the engine replaced. That pretty much sums up my family's experience with subaru...never again!
yep, that all sounds like the subaru experience!
Old 03-19-2021, 10:47 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
My ex had an older Subaru that unknowingly had a salvage title. It kept burning through head gaskets. As previously mentioned, Subaru has apparently addressed this in later year models, but I wouldn't touch an older model for that reason.

In a somewhat non-related issue, but something I recently learned, if you have to replace a single tire on an AWD vehicle, you supposedly have to replace all four (4!) if the tread is below a certain depth.

Apparently, this is because the AWD is so sensitive to tread depth changes that it will mess up the AWD.

If I had known this, I would have bought 4WD instead and had more control the drive system.

Just my 2c.

Best of luck.
The "good' ones are the older ones with "only" head gasket issues. These newer ones are just built like total CRAP.
Old 03-19-2021, 11:24 AM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Had a mid 80's wagon. AWD was great in snow, but the body/undercarriage was toasty after only 6 years of road salt exposure.
After hearing of the headgasket issues in later iterations, I would not consider another one...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 03:59 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post

My sister had her tranny (AWD system) worked on way too many times, apparently for this reason.

those TV commercials with the Subi in the jungle? notice how smooth the car moves....on the paved road hiding behind the plastic plants...

that thing should NEVER be off-road.

I'm an (old) Nissan guy myself. Can't say a thing about any newer cars. Every Honda I've had leaked through the roof seam(s) and flooded the interior. Toyotas were good to me, but the Nissans were better. Near 350K on my mom's 1997 Pathfinder and no oil loss or even darkening between changes, before a pothole took out the (admittedly lousy) Mac-Pherson strut (that should not ever have been on an SUV!) and she bailed and got a Nissan "Vibe" (I was out of town and could not advise). that little car is a total POS. Uncomfortable, and specifically the CVT shifts like crap. Give it gas from a stop, and things start spinning fast and the car creaps forward as the tranny tries to downshift from high to low. Why it wasn't smart enough to do that as the car slowed to a stop? In heavy traffic, that 2 second lag can be a real dangerous problem. The drive-by-wire system only seems to know two settings: super-economy, or racetrack. give it a little gas from start, and it will accelerate nicely, decently quick, with decent torque/power up to 37MPH. Then the power drops suddenly, and it wants to upshift. Oh, not enough torque to upshift. OK, downshift back to where you were, but no more acceleration. Give it a little more gas from a start, and the motor races instantly to 4000rpm, and stays there until you hit 60mph. Then the power suddenly drops off. I like it when I control the power my motor is producing, and I am driving the car based on real-world conditions, not some pre-programmed crap written by some duechebag that rely on torque sensors that don't work right (that was part of a lawsuit in another vehicle with other issues). If this were a small town in Kansas with no hills and 35mph roads, the Nissan Vibe would make a nice little go-cart. And then there is the roof-pillars. They make very dangerous blind spots. I have to lean way in front of the steering wheel when just driving through the curvy roads where I live. I say it is a moving blind spot with front and rear portals. The side mirrors somehow suck really bad, also; too close to the driver, I think. They only show 1/2 of the "blind spot" next-to-and-just-behind the car on either side. I've almost clipped a dozen cars on the highway in 2 years, because I don't see them coming up from behind (due to the rear-roof-pillars) and then I don't see them in the blind-spot (due to the lame mirrors). I don't think I've almost clipped 2 cars in a dozen years in any other vehicle. Maybe 1 in 2 dozen years - but didn't. I like to stay aware of all vehicles on the road around me, but I simply can't with this Nissan Vibe.

I rented a Hundai SUV once. It had the same problem: econo-mode or racetrack mode. Nothing in between. But it had so much torque steer, that if you tried to accelerate too-fast or up a too-steep hill, with the motor then revving way high @ 4000-5000rpm, the vehicle would swerve to the right hard. And The seats sucked, IMO. I hated that one, also. Saw some woman with one that day, and mentioned my dislike, but she "loved" hers. Just goes to show...to each his own.

OK enough rambling.