Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Swapping dual wheels to large single ?

from what I've read on the truck conversion sites, it's not recommended on a single axle vehicle due to control issues incase of a blowout at speed.
I agree they would look cool and probably be an asset offroad in sandy conditions

paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Bus Nut

theyare called super singles on highway trucks, the advantage is in weight savings and less rolling resistance increasing load capacity and fuel economy, tires and wheels are premium cost items.

here in michigan with our goofy wieght laws, 10 axles with duals plus the steer axle makes 154000 lbs gross legal without permits, the fat steer tires have been used for a long time on steel haulers and heavy haul construction trucks like dumps and concrete mixers.

I remember back in the late 70's early 80's tandem axle dumptrucks in the upper lower peninsula running used take off airplane tires on their drive axles for floatation and offroad traction in the swamps and sand, pretty awsome to see a loaded 13 yard dump back thru a 5 ft deep hole in soft sand and make it look like childs play
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

I've seen a super single blow out on a set of double trailers right in front of me. Take my word for it, you do not want a super single to go flat on your bus at speed.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65

People dont use the floats on the front for anything but a higher weight rating. In many states you are allowed 12k on the steer but with the wide tires can get 18k. In MI you I believe still have to have a blanket permit to run over 80k as with most every state although that is alot on 10.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote