Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #41
Bus Nut

Re: The Beater Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
I've found that when selling a beater, the less you describe the car the better. We sold my girlfriends 93 Intrepid in 5 hours with a 3 line add once. Something like "93 Dodge Intrepid Runs, drives $600 obo"
I have to agree. Used cars are my main source of play money. Don't overdisclose, but don't hide any safety issues either. A common mistake people make is to list new parts such as "new water pump, radiator, and thermostat" well......how hot did it get? is the engine hurt? better off just to not mention some things. Good luck on the sale, between thanksgiving and christmas is a tough time to sell a car, but a great time to find good deals. After Jan. 1 is a GREAT time to sell cheap cars when people have tax money.

bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 International diesel
Rated Cap: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis441
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbus914
I've found that when selling a beater, the less you describe the car the better. We sold my girlfriends 93 Intrepid in 5 hours with a 3 line add once. Something like "93 Dodge Intrepid Runs, drives $600 obo"
I have to agree. Used cars are my main source of play money. Don't overdisclose, but don't hide any safety issues either. A common mistake people make is to list new parts such as "new water pump, radiator, and thermostat" well......how hot did it get? is the engine hurt? better off just to not mention some things. Good luck on the sale, between thanksgiving and christmas is a tough time to sell a car, but a great time to find good deals. After Jan. 1 is a GREAT time to sell cheap cars when people have tax money.
I agree. I've sold quite a few beaters on Craigslist. I love that site. I'll list the type of car, the engine, tranny, and that it runs and drives. If the A/C works, I'll list that too. I put up a few pictures and anything under $1,500 usually sells within 24 hours. I even sold my 2002 Ford F-250 on there a couple months ago for $18K. That took two days. Also, if you have a beater or two to sell, try and wait until mid January to the first of Feb. That's when a lot of people get their tax returns. I fine mine as early as I can. Usually around the 15th of January. I get it around the end of January. I LOVE tax return time! Military members with kids usually get pretty fat tax returns. A lot of people I know buy cars with their tax returns. I bought a school bus with part of my last one! This year, we're getting a big TV, a couple laptops, a couple digital cameras and some tools and supplies for the bus! My mom says I should put it all in my savings. Screw that. It will be spent in about 24 hours.
https://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...DSC02426-1.jpg
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 07:55 AM   #43
Bus Nut

Everybody loves getting a check in the mail. Trouble is, you are just getting back the dough you loaned uncle sam last year without a penny in interest. And being a military member, you're salary, so it's not like you have a ton of OT earnings to explain the over withholding.

I suggest you look into raising W-4 dependent number and stop loaning the gubmint all that money for free.

Tell you what though. If you want a nice check next january, why don't you loan me 100 a week every week till then? I'll give you 1% interest! Better than what you're getting now.
pete c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #44
Bus Nut

Well I sold it! I listed it for $1500 at first (the blue book value) but then I didn't feel like messing with the hesitation any more, so I lowered the price to $1250. Last night a guy came by and bought it for $1200. I had about 400 into the car so I made an easy $800.

Now to find my next beater.

As for the Taxes thing... I figure that if I brake even that I've done good. I'm not a big fan of loaning money interest free... however who doesn't like getting a big check. I just had a kid last month, combine that with my mortgage interest and property taxes & I should get back quite a bit. Last year I got back $1600 mostly from owning a home, and I claim 1 during the year - so it's not like I'm even setting it up that way.

I've never been a paycheck to paycheck kind of guy. Whenever I get a big check like that I just put it in the bank. I might buy a used laptop this year with my taxes ($300 or less).. but the rest of it's going in the bank. Hopefully I'll have another beater by then to sell and make even more money on.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

My dad's car may look like a beater, but it drives great and is his main commuter. It is a 1993 Subaru Legacy Wagon stick shift with 333,333 miles on it, second engine, second tranny and rust. Oh yea, after that many miles and almost fifteen years the top of the steering wheel is almost worn smooth!
U-Haul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:23 AM   #46
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Here is the pictures that Timbuk asked me to post of his Acadian Invader (its Canadian GM), he gave me no info on the car but I am guessing a 1963? I guess we will wait for his post to find out more.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350

thanks steve i wanted to post that car because it is a canuk beater and how many chevy fans have seen those she haz the 230 and a 2 speed runs better bthan a cavaleir sittin fer ytears?
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #48
Bus Crazy

thanks again steve that is a 67 note the park lights in the grille..... you are a chevy 2 fan .....
Old 01-09-2008, 12:34 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Well I picked up a new beater. This is my 3rd one since this thread started. It's a 96 Dodge Caravan I got for $400. It needs some minor work (radio, heat's not working, couple mirrors replaced, outer tie rods - I think? & a battery I already replaced) but it has brand new tires. KBB on it is about $1500 - maybe more as it's nearing tax refund season. My goal is to put $200 or less into it and sell it for $1500 - which would profit me $900

here's a few pics of it.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:22 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

That looks like a good one, Phill. My only fear might be the thermostat if that is the cause of your heating woes. I don't know why Mopar decided to put them in the waterpump neck on a lot of those V-6's, but it sure is a pain. Keep us posted on your progress with that one.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #51
Almost There

here a beater for ya. or maybe it's just been beat! all i know is it was a great truck, and it drove home (about 3-4 miles) with part of the tree still on it.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:42 AM   #52
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
That looks like a good one, Phill. My only fear might be the thermostat if that is the cause of your heating woes. I don't know why Mopar decided to put them in the waterpump neck on a lot of those V-6's, but it sure is a pain. Keep us posted on your progress with that one.
I think I got the heat problem figured out already, the HVAC control panel is junk. The lights on it are flashing trouble codes. I have access to alldata thanks to a previous employer that hasn't changed his password. So that has helped a lot. I got the heat working 80% by cleaning the carbon resistor strip with alcohol and a can of compressed air. I found another control panel at a junk yard for $35 so I might just throw that on and fix it 100%. I also found a radio on craigslist - a CD player even, for $20.

That dodge SUV would make a great off road truck.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:25 PM   #53
Bus Nut

I got it ready to go yesterday and posted an add on craigslist. I have a total of $601 into it - KBB value is $1,625 Which would net me 1,000 profit. Woo hoo! I need to do this more often. I had to replace a few small things on the van such as the radio, heater control head, outer tie rod (plus alignment), front brake pads, 2 mirrors, and the battery.

Check out my add... http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/car/540038797.html

I've must of got 10 calls on it already, I think it'll be sold in the next day or 2. I love tax return season.

First thing everyone asks is "how many miles are on it?" I purposely left that out of the add to get people to call.. let me tell ya, it works.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:54 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

phill did you sell the scaravan yet? today i bought a 88 chevy touring van for 225 it has 4 swivel captains chairs in it and a folding couch bed thing rebuilt 700r4 and350 fi 188kilometers on it out of province reggy though from quebec smells like french cigarettes
Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #55
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

I want your water pump and the other accessory brackets. Seriously...you paid less for that van than I can find a serp belt setup, let alone for the short water pump AND you would have several of the TBI components I would need.

I need to find some deals.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #56
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International

We picked up a new van as well..not a beater and way more than I was wanting to pay, but it is a 2001 windstar sport and looks great in and out..as for taxes ours are usually spent before we get them *S*
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:10 PM   #57
Bus Crazy

well i started to peel apart the 88 chwvy van i bought it was a touring model so i got 4 captain chairs and a folding bed/bench gig all of thesehave the seat belts mounted right to the chairs and the back 2 come right off the pedestal that is bolted to the vans floor also i got 12v lights switches some 12v rope lighting and misc trims i want to pull the moter and trans together but my question to the experience is this where is the computer and harness that goes with the moter andshould i keep this together with the moter when i pull it? ive yanked lots of em but not with tbi of computer got lots of van parts 4 sale cheep!
Old 01-21-2008, 08:50 PM   #58
Bus Geek

Look behind the glovebox. I bet you'll find a PSM stashed away there. How I pull a motor really depends on the application. Some manufacturers do a really nice job with the harness by keeping all the engine stuff together and apart from the chassis electrical. Some even put big bulkhead connectors at the firewall like Ford which makes it really easy (this is a good things since the cab comes off to work on the heads on those trucks).

In your case I would just disconnect from the sensors themselves. I'm probably going to miss one here, but let's see...

1. knock sensor-disconnect when you do the starter
2. MAP sensor-just a vacuum line up to a fender or firewall
3. O2-depending on how you do the exhaust you might be able to just leave that alone
4. CTS-just pull the connector off it at the intake manifold
5. IAC-unplug from the throttle body
6. TPS-unplug from the throttle body
7. ESC-just disconnect all the wiring to the distributer.

Like I said...I'm sure I forgot a sensor or two in there, but on a Chevy TBI motor they're all basically right on top or right on the bottom making it pretty simple. Once the motor is out you can pull the harness much easier. Cramped doesn't begin to describe those vans. Do yourself a favor and don't cut the harness anywhere. The complete motor with an uncut harness should be worth something to someone on eBay or Craigslist.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #59
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuk
phill did you sell the scaravan yet?
Yeah I sold it last week for $1,500 I had a ton of calls on it and a lot of bullshi*ers calling me asking questions on it... I must have had over 30 calls on it. I guess it was worth making $900 bucks on it though (paid my house payment this month)

I smashed my original beater last night. I thought it'd be fun to fish tail it on a snowy road and went sideways into a telephone pole at about 30mph. The bumper took most of the hit, and it bent the front ends (crumple sections?) of the frame very bad... I'm going to try to piece it back together. It still drives straight, and runs good. Here's a few pictures...

I found a "loaded" header panal for $90, but it's Sunday so I can't call and ask what all is included... I'm going to head outside and saw off all the broken parts and see if I can straighten the frame ends back out...
Old 02-03-2008, 03:01 PM   #60
Bus Geek

i buy you a new pair of headlights and this is how you repay me???? lol

we had a bit of a mishap when towing phills car to deliver jacuzzi bus II and busted out one of the headlights so i ended up buying him a new pair.....