Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 08:16 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

The search for a bus.

Is it top secret to let the public in on school bus sales??? I know about public surplus, and guv deals.
The thing is there are at least 10 bus barns with in 5 miles of me, and no one knows when or where the buses will be sold. And not one of these bus barns is listed on the auction sites I mentioned. Or anywhere else ether.
So what is the big secret?? Are the dealers grabbing all the buses up.? I cant find a bus auction in my area, and there should be a bus utopia here.

My question is why the secret ??
Just a rant.
If there is an answer pleas share. Thanks.

45acp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its actually not a secret.. the bus barns themselcves have no idea.. the school board may have some idea.. or contactingthe transportation manager of the district may help.

some states require all assets simply be referred to certain state agencies for disposal.. ie a district may have 12 busses, 15 cabinets, etc.. and they simply have to prepare everything and another agency ends up responsible for disposing of it.. id start wit hthe transportation director of the districts you are interested in.. usually their websites will list the contacts of various department heads.

in the case of columbus ohio, I was told that they are required to send their busses to auction, no private sales.. my GUESS is so that busses which still have good service life left in them arent sold to "friends" for cheap...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote