Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

The "stupid" questions.

In light of COVID-19 my wife and I have been considering what the future of travel looks like for the next couple of years, both in terms what what will be allowed/practical and what we would feel comfortable doing. Long story short we do not see our normal vacation types being something that will be allowed or something we would feel comfortable with.

She was the genesis of an idea to essentially take our accommodations/food prep with us and essentially see areas of the country do "outdoorsy things" and generally stay safe while not stuck at home. We cannot tow with either of our cars, so something new/additional would be needed.

So that leads me to my first three questions and my first post (though I have been scrubbing the forums for a bit):

Disclaimer: I understand these questions fall heavily in the your mileage may differ for any number of reasons. What I am looking for are ranges, rules of thumb, and/or personal experience (regardless of whether that experience is an outlier)

1) How much additional money does it cost to get a bus (let us suppose a mid-2000's with between 175,000 and 225,000 miles that can be had for sub-$5,000) in roadworthy condition? I am not asking about a full blown skoolie conversion or doing all the things to make it legally a motorhome; just a running and driving bus that one is not constantly worried about.

2) How quickly can one be on the road with a skoolie? Whatever I do will likely be done in phases, but I would want to have it out between phases and not wait until everything was done. So realistically how long (probably best in man-hours) does it take to complete the work in question 1, strip the bus, and throw in the bare minimum to make it motorhome?

3) Honestly what is the resale like on skoolies? Right now we live in a place where we could park a bus and work on it no problem and in an area of the country where there are plenty of great places that are *just* too far to comfortably day trip (plus the occasional longer trip). But in 3-to-5 years we may well be somewhere that we cannot have a bus or take it with us (we'd been discussing long term plans before COVID descended upon us).

I know that so many individual conditions, skills, plans, desires, and uses go into each skoolie that is impossible to say how any one skoolie will go, but I am just looking for a range ... to judge if my interest is realistic.

and now I wait for the replies

WhatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 30 + 2 WC
I can only speak to question 1. I have just purchased a bus myself, and so far, I have put about $1000 just for tags, title and 12 months of insurance in Maryland. This does not include repairs or maintenance items. So far, I had a wire between the throttle pedal and the ECM break on the trip home. Since it was an intermittent break, it took the mechanic some time to find it, which added about $800. I spent about $3-400 for materials for a paint job (required to pass MD state inspection). I still need to take the bus for inspection, where they may say that I need new tires on the rear (the tread is close to the cutoff, but I do plan on replacing them prior to long range travel), which run about $450 each installed.
skoontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I haven't really *converted* a bus I've just owned and driven several. REsale is a breeze if you buy smart you can usually make your money back +.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
#1, Among other things, IMO, it depends on the initial/overall body and mechanical condition at time of purchase.
After you have your basic bus, you can get it ready for occupancy for anywhere between 1,000. to 30K + if you have deep pockets and care about getting into a comfortable and ready made skoolie camper.
For your 1K investment be prepared to use outdoor shower facilities and rest room facilities or pee/poop into a 5 gal. bucket unless you get lucky and find used and more importantly, useable parts say from a RV.

I could go on but there is so much discussion on the site about costs, and most of your other questions/concerns.

#2. It depends greatly, and it does depend on the state you live or are registering the bus in.
Size of bus, what it has in it at time of purchase, overall body and mechanical conditions are really first and foremost in finding "The One".

#3. If you are doing this as a potential money maker when finished or after use, Fuhgeddaboudit!
Unless you do all work yourself, and can find incredible deals on interior furnishings.
They're out there. You just have to look.
It takes time if you are doing a conversion alone/solo, so you must also be patient.

Good luck in your decision to get into the hobby/lifestyle...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
1) I bought my bus for $3600 + $300 delivery (UPS guy was pissed, whoo boy) then I quickly ate two grand more to get it in proper mechanical order (fluid and filters all changed, new shocks, new air dryer cartridge) plus $400 for new batteries. Then I ate another $1200 when it needed a new starter after stranding me at the gas station.

Seems reasonable to expect to double the price of your bus with additional work. Could be worse, could be better, especially if you can do your own maintenance work.

2) I expected 2-3 months to make it livable. I bought my bus in January of last year and arranged to be out of my house in April. A year and a half later I'm just starting to put my subfloor in.

Take whatever your time expectation is and double it, and since that's now your time expectation, double it again.

3) The answer is "no". You won't come close to getting your money back, even discounting the value of your labor.

Unless you somehow sell your uninsulated, bathroom-free skoolie on Facebook for $50,000 which apparently happens, I guess. I used to think I understood economics until a Super Whipper store opened in a strip mall near where I lived in Daytona. They sold nothing but $1 plastic Super Whippers, despite being 200 feet away from three Dollar stores and a Publix.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:43 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
A lot of people recommend avoiding post 2003 buses because they added a bunch of EPA equipment that's not very reliable and pretty expensive to fix. There are so many variables that it might be difficult to come up with some accurate answers, since all buses are different. It's well worth reading some of the build threads here if you haven't already.

For frame of reference:
Ours is a 1995 11 window bus from Colorado that we bought at a public auction for just under 5k. The school maintained it pretty well so we didn't need to have any work done to get it roadworthy. We've mostly just done regular maintenance, lube and fluids/filters. We did have a new set of tires put on and an alignment done, to the tune of $2500 or so. The tires were in decent shape but since we were taking off full time we wanted to get it done and start fresh.

It took us 12 months of weekends and another 2 months of full 8 hour days. Our bus was gutted and painted when we got it. Probably spent about 30k on the conversion and it doesn't lack any of the comforts of a home, aside from a washing machine and AC. If you're doing a bare bones conversion it should take less time. Just be sure to follow your state's DMV rules for titling it as a MH (cookstove, bathroom, running water, whatever). If you're not planning on living in it full time you could do a smaller bus.

As far as the resale, it seems like maybe you'd be lucky to get your money back. Supposedly they sell for more on FB marketplace. I wouldn't count on making a profit or anything though. You might even consider looking for an already converted bus...though it's really nice having one tailor made for your needs.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
A lot of people recommend avoiding post 2003 buses because they added a bunch of EPA equipment that's not very reliable and pretty expensive to fix. There are so many variables that it might be difficult to come up with some accurate answers, since all buses are different. It's well worth reading some of the build threads here if you haven't already.

For frame of reference:
Ours is a 1995 11 window bus from Colorado that we bought at a public auction for just under 5k. The school maintained it pretty well so we didn't need to have any work done to get it roadworthy. We've mostly just done regular maintenance, lube and fluids/filters. We did have a new set of tires put on and an alignment done, to the tune of $2500 or so. The tires were in decent shape but since we were taking off full time we wanted to get it done and start fresh.

It took us 12 months of weekends and another 2 months of full 8 hour days. Our bus was gutted and painted when we got it. Probably spent about 30k on the conversion and it doesn't lack any of the comforts of a home, aside from a washing machine and AC. If you're doing a bare bones conversion it should take less time. Just be sure to follow your state's DMV rules for titling it as a MH (cookstove, bathroom, running water, whatever). If you're not planning on living in it full time you could do a smaller bus.

As far as the resale, it seems like maybe you'd be lucky to get your money back. Supposedly they sell for more on FB marketplace. I wouldn't count on making a profit or anything though. You might even consider looking for an already converted bus...though it's really nice having one tailor made for your needs.
If you listed yours for $30k I don't think it would take long to sell. Especially on FB. Have you seen what people are paying for buses on the skoolie subreddit?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I haven't really *converted* a bus I've just owned and driven several. REsale is a breeze if you buy smart you can usually make your money back +.
Certainly possible however it really boils down initially to how savvy a buyer you are, materials cost, (economy vs luxurious furnishings), during the "conversion", and lastly the market conditions when it comes time to sell.

Most of the time, folks that do a full blown conversion don't get their money back when it comes time to sell.

If you get to fully use it after conversion it makes the loss of investment easier to handle emotionally, down the road...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:54 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
If you listed yours for $30k I don't think it would take long to sell. Especially on FB. Have you seen what people are paying for buses on the skoolie subreddit?
Nah, I've really only priced them out on CL when we were first looking into it, and on here. We don't plan on selling it anytime soon though, we're rather fond of it...we're amazed at how functional it is and how well suited we are to it.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Nah, I've really only priced them out on CL when we were first looking into it, and on here. We don't plan on selling it anytime soon though, we're rather fond of it...we're amazed at how functional it is and how well suited we are to it.
I wasn't saying to sell it or anything. Just saying- if you start with a NICE bus like yours or mine then its very feasible to get MORE than your money back if you're smart about it.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:58 PM   #11
Skoolie

The biggest variable on what you can get reselling a converted bus (or anything with a very limited market) is your ability to wait for just the right buyer for it. That can take years to "get your money back," and even then only if the bus is finished to a high standard- by you. Its not very likely outcome and requires a perfect alignment of at least two people's priorities.

A bus that might be worth $25k to just the right person on the day they have the cash is going to sell for half of that, or less, if you have to get out of it because, for example, you moved to some place you can't have it. Storing it is costly, can make selling it MUCH harder, and creates additional (costly) problems from the bus just sitting, so the pressure will be on you to unload it.
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:01 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, I really did not expect as many responses period, let alone as quickly as they came.

It seems like the general consensus is to budget a couple to a few extra grand from the start to be safe and get a good rolling platform.

As I said I know each of those questions has too many variable to answer with any certainty for any person with any bus. It seems like the most discussion (and divergence) revolves around resale. I am not out to make a profit and I understand the more money I put into a conversion the less of it I am likely to see back. I was more curious to see if I bought a bus got/kept it running good, stripped it out, do enough to register as an RV (well ok this state it appears paint it, take the stop signs off, and have insurance) and maybe a few comfort items how badly I would be out; to me it is a big difference if I am out 2-3k come 3-to-5 years or I am out 15k in the same time.

As a note, I never account for my labor in costs/recovery; as a rule if I didn't enjoy doing these kind of things I wouldn't do them. It is time I would spend doing something else I enjoy.

Thank you all for your replies. I'll do a little more research and I am sure you will know if I decide to go through with this.
WhatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #13
Bus Geek

I think if you take your time and spend wisely you can't lose owning a bus. Before doing much conversion work you can get to know the bus, and how to maintain it. Avoid sinking a bunch of money at first and find out if anything major needs to be addressed.
This approach has ended up with me owning a really dreamy bus with 64k miles and a some cool features. I kept getting good buses but I kept "wanting" for this or that till I finally landed a real keeper.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I wasn't saying to sell it or anything. Just saying- if you start with a NICE bus like yours or mine then its very feasible to get MORE than your money back if you're smart about it.
Oh yeah...that's good to hear. It was a labor of love, we'd hate like hell to lose money on it.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:45 PM   #15

Make you a list . check it often. Make a new list, a list of PLAN A: What bus, What size, What engine , what Trans. New list PLAN B; If plan A is not doable . What will Plan B look like. WHY DO YOU WANT A BUS ? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE BUS ? Write it out, no bullshit be honest no ifs or Buts. What is your income ? Do you have extra Money ? ( you will need it ) Are you mechanical incline ? (diesel) Can you install/repair water, sewer, Elec. 12 V and 110 V do Wood and Metal work ? DO YOU HAVE TOOLS TO DO ALL OF THIS KIND OF WORK ? What Time Frame are you Planning on building your Bus on ? DOUBLE IT, **** HAPPENS. First things I would do is find out what your State and County requires to be a MOTORHOME. ie Toilet, cooking , sleeping stuff ect. It will just say the requirements NOT how nice . So a bucket and plastic bag can be a Toilet, Know what I mean. Meet the requirements. GET STARTED...I wish you well.
kentuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:02 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
You can make a metal tent super easy in a weekend.

Adding a few amenities isn't hard.

Finishing it like a regular RV is an enormous investment of time and money. Hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of dollars.

Buses are typically in good working condition when sold, but they require more repairs than new buses because of their age. Most people don't put a lot of miles on skoolies each year, so that's not a problem. Repairs are expensive, but your mechanical aptitude affects the price. Paying for labor costs 3-4x as much as doing it yourself. I'd have a couple grand available "just in case," but it should be able to drive across the country as is with the majority of the buses on the market.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #17
Skoolie

Let's make the answer to all 3 of your questions real easy with one answer:

GO BUY A SKOOLIE ALREADY DONE from some other poor SOB who spent thousands of Dollars, hundreds of hours in labor, many years trying to finish converting their bus and NOW no longer has the time or resources to use it much at all.

You will be glad you did!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:35 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Let's make the answer to all 3 of your questions real easy with one answer:

GO BUY A SKOOLIE ALREADY DONE from some other poor SOB who spent thousands of Dollars, hundreds of hours in labor, many years trying to finish converting their bus and NOW no longer has the time or resources to use it much at all.

You will be glad you did!
Unless you get roped into a vista with a 444e and 360k miles that someone's ditching.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #19
Skoolie

Quote:
Unless you get roped into a vista with a 444e and 360k miles that someone's ditching.
At that point the buyer is an idiot anyway so they deserve what they git!!!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 93
Coachwork: Corbiel
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 36 pass
If you are wanting to get travelling this summer with a reinsulated, wired and plumed rig you should look at other options.

It is not unreasonable to go camping in a bare bones school bus but if your long term plan is full build it's gonna take a while.

I did basically what you are suggesting and got using mine and upgrading as time permitted.

I did not touch the original floor, walls or ceiling. I use it as a 3 season camper and avoid extreme heat or cold locations. I have been doing just fine with no blackwater tank or shower but now with covid there are more reasons to want these amenities on board.

Something to think about.
Free Bird is offline   Reply With Quote