Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #21
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I have to say, the skoolie concept is a really interesting social experiment. I have found it near impossible to predict someone's acceptance level- even family members. Seems to be a love or hate approach.

Now that I have my bus running good, I have been thinking about layout. I've gone into a few RV dealers and looked at $500K rigs for ideas. They are very pretty and luxurious, but I told my kid- they are like those grocery-store cakes that look great and taste like paste. A facade. Polished burl vinyl laminate particle board.

I did, however, snag a great idea- the loft/lift bed over driver seat.

Skoolie owners seem to be more independent thinkers, self-sufficient in may skills that they wish to incorporate into a grand statement. They want to boldly go where no man has gone before. They like pain.

It's not for everyone, that much is for sure.

Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
They like pain.

It's not for everyone, that much is for sure.
https://media0.giphy.com/media/YqTcj9HBwkrPW/giphy.gif
DreamWeaverBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

I love my rent free home of 13 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yellowbus1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:11 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Hey...the people who "get it"...are already here or will be soon. The rest of the world???...who cares! Enjoy your crappy styrofoam townhouses!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The one thing I rarely see mentioned when comparing RV's and school buses is safety. RV's have marginal crash test standards at best, usually when you see one involved in a crash, it's destroyed (sometimes beyond recognition). School buses are built like tanks (figuratively speaking) because who cares about fuel economy when innocent kids' lives are at stake? Many RV's will need considerable maintenance before they even reach 10 years of age - whether you use 'em or not. And I'm not talking engines and brakes, necessarily (those will need care either way). I'm talking about all the seams and joints that sooner or later (and usually sooner) begin to leak on RV's. Flimsy floors that get soft after they get wet a few times.

School bus hardware is built to higher standards. Sure, steel can rust but as long as you begin with a solid foundation (either existing or replacement), rust prevention is not expensive or difficult. RV's are not referred to as "sticks and staples" for nothing! Ever seen the fiberglass sided ones "delaminate"? (This is where "bubbles" form under the fiberglass, usually because water got in and caused the glue to separate). Or tried driving an RV in strong crosswinds? (I've seen several in ditches or on their sides in conditions like that). Food for thought.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:52 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Fascinating thread!

I've met some resistance from friends when i talk about wanting to convert a school bus. I also get the response, "just buy an RV" I shrug it off. I know why I want to do this and that's good enough for me.

What could be more American then to build your own house and live on your own terms? I know that idea isn't unique to Americans but, hey, it's Independence Day
davehearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:37 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Quit stressing and get your car sold.. Sometimes you just have to ignore others. Take them to a Skoolie get together if possible. I suspect they might think a Skoolie is a backward step for you. Make your some day today.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:39 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Show your family what banks think the life of a RV is. IRRC about 12 yrs.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 10:59 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I agree, fascinating thread. I have no clue what brought me to own and build a skoolie. The bug bit, I hunted diligently over a 6 month period until I found what I wanted, did the build the way I wanted and never even considered what anyone else thought of the idea.

We've put about 10 thousand miles on it in the last 3 years and I've never heard anything but positive comments wherever we go. Too much fun!

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #30
Almost There

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Custom
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: International straight six
Rated Cap: Unknown
In reading this, and in my experience i see the glaring truth that you need not to offer an explanation to others...everything that you are saying about the pride involved in completing your own project, the freedom, investing in yourself, FINDING YOUR OWN TRIBE... these truths need not be explained to someone that has a different perspective than you, when you live the life that is right for you it will all speak for itself

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Cabinbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:48 PM   #31
Bus Nut

I know Cabinbus, thanks...

I just wanted to vent to people who DO get it. I was just annoyed by my sister and tired of dealing with people's uninformed opinions and explaining myself.

But it all comes down to being patient until I sell my car and get my bus, then the REAL fun begins!

Thanks for everyone who's been commenting, yall really helped me calm down and stop worrying.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I get it *ALL* the time esp since i have no plans to convert my busses into campers or homes.. people are like "school busses... really? why???".. my response is "I did hotrods for years.. this is just something different"... and they dont understand... and I go cruise my bus around lovin it..

of course i have friends that think its the greatest thing.. and love the outings in the bus .. out on my travels there are a lot more people that GET it than dont... i swear I get more people commenting and giving me thumbs up oin my bus than I did with my 500 horse monte carlo or my 76 eldorado Biarritiz convertible..

some family and friends also are quick to snap at it because they wish they coukld do it but dont have the gumption or courage to actually do it.... they are envious and hsow it in a "he is a kook" kind of way...
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #33
Bus Nut

You know I always forget that some people will actually be jealous, not realize it, and then be petty about it. You have a good point. I should try to remember that.

OH funny thing I forgot to mention, so my sister went to visit her dad's parents, and turns out they converted school bus years ago in like the 80's! And the poor thing is now rotting away in a woods somewhere because apparently no one around here gives a **** about resale and can afford to buy expensive things and then let them rot.

But she was happy to tell me that apparently they recommend an RV rather than a bus, told her all about how much of a pain repairs were. So my sister felt like her opinion was justified even more.

Talk about SAD. As in, how sad they gonna be when I have a Skoolie home and do it better than they did!
Old 07-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #34
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
the other part about "those who did it years ago" may have taken old gasser school busses with worn out engines.. . it used to be in the 60s and 70s that engines were shot by the time they had 150k on them.. gassers anyway. and that was what 95% of school busses were.. gasses with hard to drive non synchro stick shift transmissions that did stop N go all day so the clutches were often done too.. so you buy a bus and then have ot either rebuild alot of the drivetrain or pay someone to do it ($$$).. reality is nowadays our diesel busses have a lot of life left in them when we get them.. and there are plenty here who can say yes in fact major repairs were needed.. but also MANY who are travelling the country without any major repairs..

oh and those fancy RVs? yeah they break too... just go take a look at irv2 forums.. at the blown tires, grenaded transmissions, failed air suspensions, overheated engines, etc... and thise things are just as expensive to fix.. and sometimes more because a small local diesel shop may not touch RVs for their srtuck-up-bitchy owners.. whereas they will work on a school bus all day...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:38 PM   #35
Bus Nut

True, all so very true... Didn't think about them getting an old gasser, that would explain a lot.

I tried explaining the tire thing to sis, but apparently she knows more than me about skoolies and rv's. Seems weird that she's been reading about them more than me though, seeing as she doesn't have any plans to do one. lol
Old 07-13-2017, 06:57 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I have to say that most people are happy for me. What they say when I'm not around?..I don't know BUT they are supportive. At first they were like "oh she's crazy" but they said it in a good way. Now, everyone's waiting to see the finished product. My brother and his wife are considering one for her business. A store on wheels where they can go to events and show product. Yes I would have you say that I've been lucky to have so much support.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #37

Skoolie dreams becoming reality and nosy neighbors

Im in the process of buying a retired NJDOC bus its local and perfect for me and after a lot of debating i decided to take the plunge. My neighbor has threatened to call the township on me if I bring the bus home. Lucky for me the guy selling it is so patient and understands my situation and is holding the vehicle for me until i can do more research on how to do the build legally while getting it through to this woman that she has no recourse to harass me about the bus Because it isn't on her property.
Chickwithabus2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
The pride of accomplishment. On whatever project that I happen to be working on, at that moment trumps any thing that anyone says period. Insert Rhett Butler quote here or Cartman has a classic line for it also.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
[QUOTE=Chickwithabus2019;334181]Im in the process of buying a retired NJDOC bus its local and perfect for me and after a lot of debating i decided to take the plunge. My neighbor has threatened to call the township on me if I bring the bus home. Lucky for me the guy selling it is so patient and understands my situation and is holding the vehicle for me until i can do more research on how to do the build legally while getting it through to this woman that she has no recourse to harass me about the bus Because it isn't on her property.[/QUOTE

Myself, I would call the township and find out what the restrictions ,if any, are. You bring your bus home and your neighbor calls and there is an ordinace all of a sudden you have a exspensive situation to find parking..
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:40 PM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
[QUOTE=Rivetboy;334197]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickwithabus2019 View Post
Im in the process of buying a retired NJDOC bus its local and perfect for me and after a lot of debating i decided to take the plunge. My neighbor has threatened to call the township on me if I bring the bus home. Lucky for me the guy selling it is so patient and understands my situation and is holding the vehicle for me until i can do more research on how to do the build legally while getting it through to this woman that she has no recourse to harass me about the bus Because it isn't on her property.[/QUOTE

Myself, I would call the township and find out what the restrictions ,if any, are. You bring your bus home and your neighbor calls and there is an ordinace all of a sudden you have a exspensive situation to find parking..
I've been through it with the city/neighbors/etc.
Definitely check into it. I just brought my first bus straight home thinking I'd be fine. I wasn't. Had to sell it as I had nowhere to keep it and wasn't about to pay for storage for it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote