Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2021, 05:35 PM   #121

a/c removal

Hi guys,

I have 2 a/c unit on my bus. I plan to remove the one in back of the driver seat and keep the one in the back of the bus so I have a/c while driving. Question, is it possible to keep the bus a/c compressor/condenser and replace the part where the air comes out with a smaller system? Is that even possible? If so, what would be a good replacement?

I'm thinking it would be a great idea if we can do something similar to the mini split, where we keep the current bus compressor/condenser and replace it with a mini-split indoor air-handling unit(s) (evaporator).

Thanks!

TLTAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 05:59 PM   #122
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
had a funny one this week.. a couple messaged me on facebook as someone told them I could help remove their factory A/C properly.. we set it up where they would come out (even after I told them not to take it out they were INSISTING)...

I told them not to run it on the way out here. (I told them so it wouldnt make the components outside hot which was BS).. what I really believed is that they would see what its like to drive a metal box without A/C in 92 degree 70% humidity for 4 hours..

I got a call about 2 hours before the scheduled time.. they said they were sweaty, miserable, and tired.. and then thanked me for telling them not to use the A/C.. they were going to keep it after all and find a way to build around it or replace the inside units with new modern bulkhead mount units..

they switched on the A/C, turned around and said they had a nice enjoyable drive home.. (it was the longest theyd driven their bus since it had been purchased)...

so again.. if you plan on ripping the road A/C out.. drive the bus on a nice Hot day for a COUPLE HOURS at least with it turned off... on the freeway...
-Chris
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #123
Bus Nut

You are, indeed, a wise man...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:31 PM   #124
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Chassis: Ford E450
This should be a permalink.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote