Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2022, 05:20 AM   #1

Thomas Pneumatic Door

Hey everyone!
I have a 2003 Thomas bus and the wiring was a total mess so I pulled a bunch of the safety stuff out of it (door alarms, flasher lights, etc). I had no issues with anything until I went to open and close the pneumatic door. Two of the wires running to the door switch used to run to the flasher lights. Those now don't run anywhere. There are now 4 wires running to the switch. One runs to the ignition coil for the positive (when the key is on) and the others all seem to be grounds. Putting all that aside, does anyone know how the solenoid works (next to the air cylinder actuator above the door)? There are 2 small wires running to it. I tried putting 12v to them and immediately blew a 10A fuse I was protecting the circuit with. Now that the flashers and other safety stuff is gone, I'm really just trying to isolate the door system and try to operate it (still using the pneumatic system) in the simplest way possible. Thanks!

Tommywass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:49 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP/ER
Engine: Cat3126B 230hp
Rated Cap: 48
My 2000 Thomas MVP ER door operates on air pressure when bus is running thru a switch on console. The pressure bleeds out when ignition turned off so door is easy to opera manually.I welded the two doors as one piece and hinged on rude side still plenty of air pressure to open and close door.
Mat7783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 07:39 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
I was just talking about rewiring the air door on my bus with my wife the other day! Regardless of the other stuff involved in triggering the red student lights the actual door mechanism should just be a simple solenoid with one side grounded and the other side getting switched 12v power.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote