Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 10:50 AM   #1

Those who have built roof decks-- do you regret it?

My partner and are debating whether or not to build a roof deck. It seems like an awesome idea, but we are concerned about

a) the added weight
b) the drag it would create while driving
c) the difficulty of getting insurance

I would love to hear from people who have roof decks. Are you glad you did, or do you wish you hadn't? What would you do differently if you could do it again?

lawful-nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
Sure like mine.

I store stove pipe/spare tire/crane on the roof rack, and other items as needed. This still gives plenty of room to hang out at camp with a cold one. Love it.

A) My bus has very stiff springs and the extra weight of the rack actually made it a bit softer on the bumps, yet it is still stiff enough I don't really notice any extra sway on the turns. Worked great without having to haul 24 kids in the back to get the springs to flex.

B) Extra drag... on a barn door? going slooow?.. wasn't really a factor in my application. I have a top speed of 62mph and a very big flat windshield.

C) Mine is insured as a commercial vehicle for personal use like a work truck. So probably also not applicible to your situation. Didn't ask or tell anybody about the rack. (except everybody on here...)
crowcreekcabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:04 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
The only one I would consider a possible issue is #3, insurance.

If it's used as a "deck" and someone falls, you may not be covered. Check your "exceptions" in your policy after you get it.

If you used it as a "rack" to store things and items were properly bolted/strapped down, then I think you would be fine.

Of course, if it was a "rack" and you happen to be hanging out on it and fell, you could always say you were up getting something and fell.

I'm looking at using a pre-manufactured rack and having it double as a deck (plywood on the bottom).
Old 04-28-2021, 05:33 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We've only used ours a handful of times, not nearly as often as we thought we would. We haven't stargazed as much as I thought we would. Insurance hasn't factored into it yet, but then again the insurance company doesn't know about it. I've heard its forbidden though (no decks, not even roof racks, no wood stoves) from other posters here.
If we needed to get rid of it for insurability I don't think I'd be overly sad to see it go.
I never noticed a difference in gas mileage or drivability, drag or whatever. It's kinda neat, but not sure I'd do it again.
Old 04-29-2021, 11:22 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Here's a link to another post on the subject. I really like the way Kaz did this and has been basically my plan.

It's the 9th post with pictures. https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/w...ack-35796.html

The way I would think of all of this is that if you put the mounts in now, even if you don't use them, then you don't have to remove any of your ceiling down the road.

The rails can be used for whatever you want, solar, Thule cargo holders, rack deck or even just a walk way to be able to walk across your bus roof for whatever reason.

Good luck.

Tags
deck, insurance, roof deck