Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #1

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T Liner HDX
Engine: MBE 906
Rated Cap: 71
Thoughts on an '07 Thomas?

Hello,

I've been doing research on this forum and elsewhere for a couple years now and it is time to buy a bus. I've been scouring the internet for what we're looking for nearby and I think I may have found it and want to run it by people who have done this before.

I'm looking at an '07 Thomas RE with an MBE 906 paired with an Allison 2500 (I think). 6'7" ceiling and 71 passengers. The seller on FB says they got 6 of them recently and the miles vary between 100k-140k. From the pictures the exterior looks to be rust free. Air brakes and air seat. They are asking $4,500, which seems too good to be true today.

Everything seems to be perfect EXCEPT for the MBE 906, but I've read that they seem to be okay if taken care of and, if we do go this route, I'll try to save money for a repower when it decides to be done.

Sadly it is a 5 hour drive away, so we can't just go look at it this weekend and come back to you all with more questions.
Seems too good to be true...any thoughts?

unixuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 10:40 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Hello and welcome
I drove 7 hours each way and crossed an international border to view my auction bus before bidding. It’s a small price to pay for some piece of mind.
I have no personal experience with the Mercedes engine but there are definitely two camps on them so you will get some differing opinion. I did look at one here in Canada that had over 500,000 km and seemed to be still doing well.
Good luck

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 11:25 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Repowering is not so simple with electronic control. It's not just an engine or transmission in something this new, it is a whole package that is designed to work together in many cases. Tread carefully here and do your research before taking the plunge. You may find a few years down the road that your existing trans will not play nice with the replacement engine's ECM, or you may find that your gauges no longer work with the replacement engine because they communicate differently.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:33 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
The MBE motors seem to be decent reliability wise but they are somewhat of an orphan motor now since they were only sold for a few years here and as such parts and knowledge are hard to find.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:00 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
The benz is as good as emissions engines get. Probably the only post 2004 I'd even consider messing with other than gas.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:20 PM   #6

Chassis: Saf-T Liner HDX
Engine: MBE 906
Rated Cap: 71
Thanks everyone for responding. Today is the day that I realize that skoolie.net doesn't send me email alerts to responses, so sorry about the delay here.

I'm going for it! I am finally ready to buy, a bus and the seller had six of them and this is the last one. My CDL-enabled friend and I are going on a road trip a week from today and if I don't find a reason to back out we will be coming back with it. I had a mechanic go out to inspect it and they said nothing was obviously wrong with it other than a clamp for the exhaust rusted away, a pipe for the turbo is rusty, needs new batteries, and the parking brake needs adjusting. The only things he suggested taking care of before the drive home are the batteries and the parking brake.

Wish me luck!
unixuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 6.6 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: ?
Good luck and safe travels!!!
Buster Junior is offline   Reply With Quote