Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Thoughts on Naming Skoolie a Name Used Before

Hi all,

We are getting to the point where we need to name the big yellow beast.

We have been tossing around names since before we bought the bus, and we think we have settled on one that we like the most.

Slowpoke

We like that name because it has several meanings that apply.

The problem is, it looks like someone used that name for their bus back in 2007. But it doesn’t look like they have been active since.

What is the etiquette for naming your bus the same as someone else chose in the past?

Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
name it and TM it then if they try and come at you you can tell them to cease and desist

Ok thats extreme but I say just name it
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Thanks Cadillac. I have been reading your posts for a long time now, so I take a good bit of faith in it. I might even add in that TM lol.
Truffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:33 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Let the bus name itself. It will find its name.

My opinion. How it worked out for mine.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Let the bus name itself. It will find its name.

My opinion. How it worked out for mine.
Absolutely agree. I was trying hard to name mine The Grey Buffalo. It chose Granite, and it fits much better, for now anyway.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
Skoolie

I bet you know someone else who has the same first name you do...

Name it whatever your heart desires. It is YOUR bus after all.
E450Shorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Generally, name the bus whatever you want. In instances where you anticipate both bus families being active on social media and using the bus name as part of their brand, you probably want to find a different name. You might want to find a different name if you are going to be active on social media as the bus; you wouldn't want the other folks to be mistaken for you (and likely they would not care for the attention).

So as long as you are only going to be using the bus name among your friends and family, and possibly as shorthand in your posts here, who care is there is someone else out there (that you have never met) calling a different bus the same thing among their circle?
WhatBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #8

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: 3126 Cat Diesel 210hp
Thumbs up Latex Name

I ordered the lettering for my skoolie from Doityourselflettering.com. I am so pleased with how this company works, and the rates seem to be very good as well. Here is my story.
I ordered the name of my bus Eagle One from DIY Lettering, and the original shipment had an incorrect city and state for the shipping. Part of the issue was mine as I have a billing and shipping address that are different.
So Anyway, as soon as I noticed the problem, I contacted DIY and they sent me a replacement order (No Cost).
I found I had ordered an incorrect size, (My Stupidity as I took a guess the first time). So I ordered a new graphic for the bus, slightly different design from the original.
When I applied the graphic to my bus, I found out the first two letters were merged together, and there was no separation between the letters. I contacted DIY, and sent them pictures of the graphic. They looked at their process and found I was correct. They corrected the issue, and have shipped a new graphic with the problem corrected.
So anyway, I am extremely happy about the graphic and the way it looks on my bus. If you are considering your bus name, you should think about getting your graphic from DIY Lettering.