Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2006, 06:11 AM   #1
Bus Geek

Tire Changing Tips

Want to change yoru skoolie tire yourself, but not really sure what you're doing?

I'm not an expert, but i have changed a few tires, and i also had the guy at the big truck tire place give me a quick tutorial...

What do you call the type of wheels that look like this?

Obviously safety is the most important factor....always use a jack rated for the weight of your bus, chock the wheels what are left on the ground, and use cribbing or other suitable means of keeping the axle off the ground should the jack fail.

First thing is to loosen the lug nuts before lifting the bus off the ground (unless you're using an impact driver, then proceed to the next step) Don't remove the lug nuts!

Jack the bus up so the tire is a couple inches off of the ground. Putting a 2x8 under the jack will decrease the amount the jack sinks into the ground. Jacking while the bus is on cement is most desireable, but not always possible.

Still don't remove the lug nuts! It's important to make sure you leave the nut on far enough that all of the threads are still in contact with the stud.

Next: If the little pieces of metal that hold the wheel on are not loose and flopping around, you'll need to get a sledge hammer and hit the edge of the rim (where the rim meets the tire) a few times. You may have to beat on the tire pretty hard before it breaks loose. When it breaks loose, the little pieces of metal (anyone know what these are called?) tend to POP and fly with a lot of force.

They cannot come all the way off however, because the lug nuts hold them in place. If the lug nuts are off when the little triangle pieces of metal pop off it could take out your kneecap!

IF each of the little pieces of metal are now now loose (when checking them, make sure your finger is not in a place to get pinched if the piece were to come loose while you were were touching it.) you can now safely remove the lugnuts then the tire.

there's only 1 good tip that crosses my mind for re-installing the tire. After you've fitted the wheel back onto the bus, and you've began torquing the lugnuts (obviously use the star pattern for tightenign lug nuts like you would on an yother 5 lug wheel) before you let the bus down, set an object about 1 inch from the tire, like this

Spin the tire a couple revolutions and compare the distance of the tire from the object you set on the ground to make sure the tire is not wobbling. If it seems to wobble, loosen the lug nuts and re-tighten.

anybody want to add more tips and safety concerns related to changing tires?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Bus Nut

What is the rated capacity of the jack you use?
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #3
Bus Geek

mine is a 12 ton bottle jack. Not so different from this one:

The entire bus probably weighs about 12 tons, but that weight is spilt between all 6 tires.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:23 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I had to leave my bus for a while without a wheel when I was fixing the steering arm. A simple stack of 2x6s did a good job of holding it up.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 1984
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: orig.327, now 429
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via ICQ to abdabbs Send a message via AIM to abdabbs
hey steve...

...I noticed your air horns on top of your baby. Are you using an electric pump to run them or ??? I just picked up a Grover air horn from Dons Auto Salvage here in Des Moines for 10 smackers !! (180 $ new)

Just curious.

TonyC in Iowa
abdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
What lapeer20m described is the basic for this type of set up.

The rims on it are dayton rims. And those metal pieces are "wheel clamps" Some times instead of a 5 spoke center you will see a 6 spoke center more often on bigger trucks.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
Almost There

Hey thanks! Those look like my wheel setups. I wont have to change a tire for a while, but this will help. Im a DIY on just about everything, and I was "wondering" about changing tires in the back of my mind.

Now I have a question though. My tires say "regrooveable" on them, have you gotten tires regrooved? If so, is it cheaper to regroove them, or cheaper to get a new tire?
ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
I got my full set of used tires free from the local school bus barn. I just loaded them up myself at the bus barn and took it to a truck tire place to have them installed.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #9
Bus Geek

as long as the sidewalls are good, you can get your tires re-tredded. You cannot legally run retreds on the front of your vehicle in most states. It is totally illegal in all 50 states for commercial vehicles, I believe that some states allow RV's to run retreds on the steer tires, but it is very unsafe.

I think it's common practice for the big trucks to retred the steer tires when they wear out and install them on the rear, or on the trailer.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:00 AM   #10
Almost There

is retread the same as regroveable? I thought that was differnt..?
ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #11
Bus Nut

I really don't trust those split rims... Back in the day when I was a super duper paratrooper, there was a cage in the motor pool that we HAD to put the tire and rim in to pump them up to preassure, just in case the lock ring sprung and was heading for whatever meaty part was available.
I'd like to change mine out for one piece rims when I get the bucks
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #12

Hello, I am trying to change out my back tires, I have the first of the two on one side off. I removed the wheel clamps, first tire, and wheel spacer. So I believe I have everything removed to get to the second tire, but i cant seem to free it off. It is definitely rusted on pretty good so i expect its that but all the pounding, prying, WD-40, and decent heating with a torch I just cant get it to budge. I even trapped it up and tried pulling a little tension with my truck. Any tips to help get me off this jack stand and outta the back of a field? Am I missing a piece that still needs to be taken off?Thanks for the help!
WanderingSageFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingSageFarms View Post
Hello, I am trying to change out my back tires, I have the first of the two on one side off. I removed the wheel clamps, first tire, and wheel spacer. So I believe I have everything removed to get to the second tire, but i cant seem to free it off. It is definitely rusted on pretty good so i expect its that but all the pounding, prying, WD-40, and decent heating with a torch I just cant get it to budge. I even trapped it up and tried pulling a little tension with my truck. Any tips to help get me off this jack stand and outta the back of a field? Am I missing a piece that still needs to be taken off?Thanks for the help!
Can the bus be driven? If so, start it and back it up and forth a few times, should brake it free, hit the brakes good should do it. Leave the nuts on almost tight when doing this.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:24 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I haven't pulled any Daytons off since 1996, but from what I remember you are correct. If you can, let it sit for a few days while applying WD-40, or PB Blaster a couple times a day. If you don't have the time for that, I would suggest a bigger hammer. Get the wheel spinning and hit the outermost side of the rim from the back side as hard as you can. You're not very likely to cause any damage to the rim, so hit as hard as possible.

Please make sure you have the bus shored up on cribbing or stands before commencing with the beating!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote