Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #1

Tire sizes

I have been searching for THE bus of my dreams I've found it. I thought I was ready to bite the bullet and buy, but ... the tires (all 6) need to be replaced forever ago. I've done some research and found these are not very common and the four drive tires will cost near $1500 alone. I haven't found steering tires yet. I need to know if I can change these tires out all together with a new more common size. I know nothing about tires and wheels. Well really nothing about vehicles in general. Is there anything I can do to save my dream bus?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ittibittirainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I know on my IHC chassis bus I was able to upgrade from the non standard 10R22.5 to the standard 11R22.5 tires and still had plenty of clearance on the rear duals and no rubs on the steers..

it was still pricey to get 6 new tires.. i think i was in it about $300 / tire to get new uniroyals
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #3

So it is possible thanks but Did you figure that out on your own or did you have a resource?...online, local mechanic, tire sales place..? I really am "that" person with no clue what so ever.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ittibittirainbow View Post
So it is possible thanks but Did you figure that out on your own or did you have a resource?...online, local mechanic, tire sales place..? I really am "that" person with no clue what so ever.

I had found by looking at tires that 11R22.5 tires were the defacto standard for truck tires on 22.5" rims.. so I went to a reputable LOCAL commercial tire shop with 6 terrible-tires... the guy there showed where they had the old size and the new size.. and did some measurements and took some numbers off of the rims and said "lets give it a shot".. so they mounted up a couple.. and it worked so we did all 6..

I say local shop as opposed ot a big chain.. make sure they are a commercial truck tire shop.. the local guys were super nice and didnt treat me like an imbecile because im just a guy with a bus.. in fact they love the bus and have me high 5's over it.. and the tire salesguy gave me some discounts on the tires too over sticker.. (in the commercial world you'll find that prices are negotiable on a lot of things)...

then I got the info on tire height etc and re-set the dip switches on my dash panel as the new tires threw the speedometer off a bit.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #5

Excellent thanks for the suggestion. I find working with a person face to face even if they are laughing at me is far more helpful than me reading the equivalent of gibberish online

Old 06-26-2018, 11:12 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I had found by looking at tires that 11R22.5 tires were the defacto standard for truck tires on 22.5" rims.. so I went to a reputable LOCAL commercial tire shop with 6 terrible-tires... the guy there showed where they had the old size and the new size.. and did some measurements and took some numbers off of the rims and said "lets give it a shot".. so they mounted up a couple.. and it worked so we did all 6..

I say local shop as opposed ot a big chain.. make sure they are a commercial truck tire shop.. the local guys were super nice and didnt treat me like an imbecile because im just a guy with a bus.. in fact they love the bus and have me high 5's over it.. and the tire salesguy gave me some discounts on the tires too over sticker.. (in the commercial world you'll find that prices are negotiable on a lot of things)...

then I got the info on tire height etc and re-set the dip switches on my dash panel as the new tires threw the speedometer off a bit.

-Christopher
Sorry to bring up an oldie, but how do you get the info to re-sent your dip switches?

I plan on going 10 to 11r22.5 myself

Also how far off was your speedo? I'm reading 70mph at 60mph actual, just wondering if that could have been reset for tire size
Whatthefak is offline   Reply With Quote