Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Tires

Figured I'd start a new thread since we got on the topic of tires.
One possible place to buy them for skoolies at a decent price is Farm Bureau. Farm Bureau has regional warehouses where they sell tires, batteries, and other industrial farm supplies to members. I've been a member for years but have never driven up to their warehouse to see everything they have. It's only like $40/yr for membership so might well be worth the price.

dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Yeah, it looks like I'll be getting to know Farm Bureau pretty soon.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
Yeah, it looks like I'll be getting to know Farm Bureau pretty soon.
If you go let us know what kind of selection and pricing they have on tires, batteries and all the other goodies that can be used on buses.
Old 04-20-2016, 05:35 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
im in my local farm bureau every week,never saw tires but ill ask next time im in.great deals on just about everything tho
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:15 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave View Post
im in my local farm bureau every week,never saw tires but ill ask next time im in.great deals on just about everything tho
We're both members of Va Farm Bureau. I've read on the newsletters and website about the tires...maybe they have to order them. I've never been to the warehouse to see what they have on hand.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Bus Geek

I meant for insurance. I just got cancelled one month into the policy, again.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:55 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
My two cents, DON'T skimp on tires.

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:08 AM   #8
Bus Geek

I've got brand new Toyo's all the way around. I hate flats, and cheap tires have flats. It doesn't pay to skimp on some things. It's just good common sense to hedge your bets on a used truck like these. Take preventative measures when possible.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
I've got brand new Toyo's all the way around. I hate flats, and cheap tires have flats. It doesn't pay to skimp on some things. It's just good common sense to hedge your bets on a used truck like these. Take preventative measures when possible.

what tires are good to have on busses? my bus has decent steers but the drives are recaps.. they have decent tread but starting to get some small bits of dry-rot around the rim... so I'll be looking at new ones soon..

are recaps good or bad? or is it best just to pony up for brand new rubber?

I have those wierd "old school bus" type wheels.. Dayton's I think they call them? where the lugs are around the outside of the wheel instead of in the center like what im used to seeing...

where do you go to get bus tires bought and installed? im assuming you dont just go to your nearest tire discounters and get bus tires?

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
I had to go to a big rig tire shop with my old Blue Bird. Also had one changed by a mobile big tire installer. To tell the truth, as I recall it, the mobile unit guy charged me less than the shop (?).
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:20 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
I had to go to a big rig tire shop with my old Blue Bird. Also had one changed by a mobile big tire installer. To tell the truth, as I recall it, the mobile unit guy charged me less than the shop (?).
I had someone who is a trucker tell me that the tire he got from a mobile rig cost less than going to a big rig shop... I have lots to lean about tires..

when I get my Bus in my hands I'll take a couple pics of the tires I THINK are in need of replacement and see what you guys think.. maybe re-caps just look wierd compared to first-use tires...

I also have lots to learn about the "dayton" wheels.. the hubs actually take oil instead of being packed and greased like im accustommed to

-Christopher
Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Tomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I also have lots to learn about the "dayton" wheels.. the hubs actually take oil instead of being packed and greased like im accustommed to

-Christopher
Wheel hub bearing lubrication can be done either way, and is basically only decided by cost. My buses have Daytons and the bearings are packed with grease probably because they came from cash strapped districts, whereas yours are oil.
The bus I help maintain for my school used to be grease, but was recently converted to oil bath bearings as the budget finally allowed for the conversion.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Around here all the logging trucks, garbage trucks and whatnot go to Les Schwab. I looked around a bit pricing different places. Ended up just ponying up for Toyo's from Schwabs. They have locations everywhere and mobile service when you want. If you can wear out one set of tires on your bus in your lifetime, do you want to worry about caps or cheap tires? I got six of the best quality tires they had, and yes it cost as much as the bus did, but I did get a pretty good deal on the bus too. I don't want to worry about tires on this beastie. It's a heavy truck and I wanted really good tires that are the silent ones like the truckers use. I've paid for that choice by getting stuck in the yard while turning around. Had to wait till things froze up good before I could get out again. So I've got good tires and I know my bus starts in freezing weather. There are cheaper ways to get good tires but you never really know what you'll end up with if you're chasing down tires. I didn't want to worry about tires. I did have to buy a rim while I was getting tires also, so that made it more expensive. I paid $2,481.93 for the bus, and $2,600 for the tires. I love how they charge 93 cents. I still need to find a spare with rim because this bus didn't have one. I slipped off the edge of the road on my way home when I picked up the bus last October and it ruined a rim. Meanwhile I feel pretty safe on the six Toyo's.
So should you invest in the rubber or not? It's just one less thing to worry about if you know you have quality tires. You're still going to have tire issues in the life of your bus, but then mine are guaranteed and will last longer than I will.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:17 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Also, check the tires' manufacture date.
Old tires are no good.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Around here all the logging trucks, garbage trucks and whatnot go to Les Schwab. I looked around a bit pricing different places. Ended up just ponying up for Toyo's from Schwabs. They have locations everywhere and mobile service when you want. If you can wear out one set of tires on your bus in your lifetime, do you want to worry about caps or cheap tires? I got six of the best quality tires they had, and yes it cost as much as the bus did, but I did get a pretty good deal on the bus too. I don't want to worry about tires on this beastie. It's a heavy truck and I wanted really good tires that are the silent ones like the truckers use. I've paid for that choice by getting stuck in the yard while turning around. Had to wait till things froze up good before I could get out again. So I've got good tires and I know my bus starts in freezing weather. There are cheaper ways to get good tires but you never really know what you'll end up with if you're chasing down tires. I didn't want to worry about tires. I did have to buy a rim while I was getting tires also, so that made it more expensive. I paid $2,481.93 for the bus, and $2,600 for the tires. I love how they charge 93 cents. I still need to find a spare with rim because this bus didn't have one. I slipped off the edge of the road on my way home when I picked up the bus last October and it ruined a rim. Meanwhile I feel pretty safe on the six Toyo's.
So should you invest in the rubber or not? It's just one less thing to worry about if you know you have quality tires. You're still going to have tire issues in the life of your bus, but then mine are guaranteed and will last longer than I will.
great post.. and also how I feel about tires.. of course I get ideas from many people.. decidedly im into my bus for a lot more $$ than a lot of people on here.. I only asked about re-caps because its all I hear.. but you are 100% right in the likliehood my tires will age-out long before I put the miles on them.. re-caps arent going to help with aging as im already taking a somewhat aged sidewall and putting new tread on it.. so when I look at it like a trucker who rolls 100,000 miles a year I could say yeah im going to road-wear a tire before I age it.. but even if I drive my bus 10,000 a year , im still likely to age out first..makes my decision much easier to go pony up for brand new rubber..

I (and probably others) on here.. also admit I dont have nearly enough driving experience to truly know how to handle a bus if I blew a steer at 65 MPH.. not nearly as much as an experienced bus / truck driver that rolls 1000s of miles a week..

I'll also probably size up a bit too for little better road experience.. with a 545 the bus runs a nice 63 MPH.. I could get it up to 65 by a tire size up.. Ive got to re-jumper my dashboard anyway so I may as well do it after I get tires and get the speedo and tach set up correctly... IHC never did make a dashboard that worked right.. even back to the days growing uop of international Scouts..

-Christopher
Old 04-26-2016, 07:14 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
great post.. and also how I feel about tires.. of course I get ideas from many people.. decidedly im into my bus for a lot more $$ than a lot of people on here.. I only asked about re-caps because its all I hear.. but you are 100% right in the likliehood my tires will age-out long before I put the miles on them.. re-caps arent going to help with aging as im already taking a somewhat aged sidewall and putting new tread on it.. so when I look at it like a trucker who rolls 100,000 miles a year I could say yeah im going to road-wear a tire before I age it.. but even if I drive my bus 10,000 a year , im still likely to age out first..makes my decision much easier to go pony up for brand new rubber..

I (and probably others) on here.. also admit I dont have nearly enough driving experience to truly know how to handle a bus if I blew a steer at 65 MPH.. not nearly as much as an experienced bus / truck driver that rolls 1000s of miles a week..

I'll also probably size up a bit too for little better road experience.. with a 545 the bus runs a nice 63 MPH.. I could get it up to 65 by a tire size up.. Ive got to re-jumper my dashboard anyway so I may as well do it after I get tires and get the speedo and tach set up correctly... IHC never did make a dashboard that worked right.. even back to the days growing uop of international Scouts..

-Christopher
Shoulda used the retreads as bargaining leverage. FL to OH is a long way on mystery tires. My tires are ok but two are SCARY. Retreads.
But for two grand it got me home, can't complain.

I plan to run the cheap tires. I doubt my bus will ever see more than a couple thousand miles a year.
I don't plan to carry an extra wheel and tire, as its a dually. They naturally already have a spare.

Yeah the old scouts were great. Great engines and frames, anyhow. The rest of em were less than great. Prone to rust and rattling apart.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:17 AM   #17
Skoolie

Year: 97
Chassis: BadMuthaFuka
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: All of us
i was able to find these @ 1200 for my back 4 drive tires. i just googled hankook dealers and tried a few before i ordered them. once they are here i will let ya know how mucho it cost to put them on. Z35A | Hankook USA
Old 04-26-2016, 07:22 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Shoulda used the retreads as bargaining leverage. FL to OH is a long way on mystery tires. My tires are ok but two are SCARY. Retreads.
But for two grand it got me home, can't complain.

I plan to run the cheap tires. I doubt my bus will ever see more than a couple thousand miles a year.
I don't plan to carry an extra wheel and tire, as its a dually. They naturally already have a spare.

Yeah the old scouts were great. Great engines and frames, anyhow. The rest of em were less than great. Prone to rust and rattling apart.
im actually seriously thinking about getting tires while still in florida if I can find a place that also has a location in Columbus Oh for warranty purposes...

im going to be down in the area for a bit when I pick it up..

dad still has one of the 2 scouts we had growing up.. 1980 Turbo diesel.. 3.3 Liter Nissan Diesel.. 375K on it.. I think the air-conditioner finally died...

-Christopher
Old 04-26-2016, 08:05 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
im actually seriously thinking about getting tires while still in florida if I can find a place that also has a location in Columbus Oh for warranty purposes...

im going to be down in the area for a bit when I pick it up..

dad still has one of the 2 scouts we had growing up.. 1980 Turbo diesel.. 3.3 Liter Nissan Diesel.. 375K on it.. I think the air-conditioner finally died...

-Christopher
The 1980 MY were supposed to be the BEST.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:52 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The 1980 MY were supposed to be the BEST.
other than the typical Rust issues.. tailgate,rockers, bottom of doors.. it has been great.. I think its had 2 clutches and one transfer case in its life.. and LOTS of tires.. it always seemed to rip through a set of tires pretty quickly..

-Christopher