Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Tools

So, I am in the process of buying a bus.
While I am trying to hammer out insurance, pick up, and registration I was wondering what specific tools most have. I have basic hand tools, 1/2" air tools, drills, saws, etc...
Anyone find out they needed something they didn't have or didn't think they would need?


Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:23 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Kansas
Posts: 492
Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
I would recommend a pneumatic rivet gun from harbor freight if you're planning on doing any skinning of windows or a roof raise...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:25 AM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
No roof raise, the one I am looking at is 6'6", but skinning I hadn't thought of! Thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Traveling
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Midwest
Posts: 2,573
Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njsurf73 View Post
.
Anyone find out they needed something they didn't have or didn't think they would need?


Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The most useful tool I have found thus far is a Credit Card.

Priceless.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:59 AM   #5
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
The most useful tool I have found thus far is a Credit Card.

Priceless.
Hmmm... I won't share that one with the wife

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:32 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lebanon, IN
Posts: 261
Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
I had to purchase a band saw to cut curved pieces of lumber to install a flat hatch on a curved roof. I went with a lewmar 70 sea hatch.

And a hydraulic lift table from harbor freight to lift tanks, generator, etc. under the bus to install them.

And a pneumatic nailer for putting in the wood floor. That came from Harbor freight too.

And the tooling to crimp automotive AC lines to relocate the inside AC units and make line repairs.

And a rotary tool to cut curves in the fiberglass shower unit to fit the roof curve.

And various hole saws to run pipes and install fittings.

And the professional pex crimping tools to crimp three sizes of Pex in close quarters.

And one of those oscillating dremel cutting tools to make plunge cuts.

Still have to purchase the MC4 solar crimping and assembly tools for the solar panel system.

Bill
Birch Run, MI
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltruckman View Post
I had to purchase a band saw to cut curved pieces of lumber to install a flat hatch on a curved roof. I went with a lewmar 70 sea hatch.

And a hydraulic lift table from harbor freight to lift tanks, generator, etc. under the bus to install them.

And a pneumatic nailer for putting in the wood floor. That came from Harbor freight too.

And the tooling to crimp automotive AC lines to relocate the inside AC units and make line repairs.

And a rotary tool to cut curves in the fiberglass shower unit to fit the roof curve.

And various hole saws to run pipes and install fittings.

And the professional pex crimping tools to crimp three sizes of Pex in close quarters.

And one of those oscillating dremel cutting tools to make plunge cuts.

Still have to purchase the MC4 solar crimping and assembly tools for the solar panel system.

Bill
Birch Run, MI
Ah yes. There are a few on there I will now be picking up.
Thank you

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lebanon, IN
Posts: 261
Year: 1998
Chassis: TC 2000 bluebird
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 66
And a Rivnut tool to install thread inserts like pop rivets. That is how i hung the upper cabinets and installed other accessories under the metal roof.

And a milwaukee metal cutting circular saw. Was invaluable for fabricating steel parts and cutting openings in the roof and sides.

Bill
Birch Run, MI
miltruckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
Njsurf73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,497
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by miltruckman View Post
And a Rivnut tool to install thread inserts like pop rivets. That is how i hung the upper cabinets and installed other accessories under the metal roof.

And a milwaukee metal cutting circular saw. Was invaluable for fabricating steel parts and cutting openings in the roof and sides.

Bill
Birch Run, MI
Ahh. I have an angle grinder and a metal cut off wheel. I have to look into the rivnut tool. Those things look like they make life easier.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 52
Year: 2005
Tools so far

You've seen where my bus is at. I'll split what I have used into hand and power tools.

Hand Tools: Hammers, Drivers, Catspaw, Speed Square, Framing Square, Levels, 2 Dovetail Saws (not for cutting dovetails), Measuring Tape, Ruler

Probably a few others. All the basic hand tools you may already own.

Power Tools: Reciprocating saw, Circular Saw, Jig Saw, Grinder, Drill, Impact Driver, Dremel

You shouldn't need anything particularly specialized to get to where I am at. I disregard comments about skin removal. Under trusted professional advisement, I consider it to be the most common mistake.
BoringGravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #11
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGravy View Post
I disregard comments about skin removal. Under trusted professional advisement, I consider it to be the most common mistake.
Can you elaborate a little on this? Or is it discussed somewhere? I thought the only skin work people typically did was to patch up the gaps left by the roof raise. What else would be needed?
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #12
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,530
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasd View Post
Can you elaborate a little on this? Or is it discussed somewhere? I thought the only skin work people typically did was to patch up the gaps left by the roof raise. What else would be needed?
If we waited for permission to convert these buses none of us would be doing this.
Omelettes require one to crack eggs.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×