Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Touring kayaks and a skoolie

Anybody play with touring kayaks? How about carrying two 16-footers on a skoolie? Design to go inside, or build a roof-rack?

waywardfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
Almost There

Re: Touring kayaks and a skoolie

I am in the process of building a 19' strip canoe. That was one of the main driving forces in getting a skoolie. The plan is for a roof rack and hoist and pulley system using a boat trailer winch. The roof rack will also house the bikes, extraneous stuff that doesn't fit in the canoe, and the occasional drunk friend/relative we want to tie up there and go looking for overpasses...
Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9

My 14ft rec kayak takes up alot of room. I have yet to complete my interior so it can be stored inside for now. I can't see being able to do that when finished unless you use a large portion of the back as a garage for your toys. Seems like the roof is the way to go. I haven't even thought of a pulley system yet, but would imagine that would be necessary to loan and unload solo.
beekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #4
Bus Nut

We carried a 16' sassafras strip canoe to CA and back with no problem. I used a 6' step ladder to get on the roof and used two ratchet straps to hold the canoe down. My 12 year old son and I were able to get it on and off with very little hassle. Solo would have been more difficult, but doable. If you have a FE or dog nose bus, just put a ladder on the back. Oh, you may have to drive a little more defensively. It's amazing how many people stare at it when they drive past. I had people veer into my lane at least five times just because they were checking it out. The two straps held fine, even when we encountered 70mph crosswinds in Wyoming.
boojiewoojie is offline   Reply With Quote