Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2022, 06:18 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Towing without brakes

Are there really that many skoolie folks out there with toads (flat towed vehicles) that don’t have ANY supplemental or breakaway braking systems installed?

I swear every facebook post I’ve seen with a toad I ask what system they’re using, and the answer is “oh we don’t have one but we don’t really need it”. Dude, it’s a requirement! I get it, they’re expensive, but would you want to lose your vehicle because it just careens off into traffic without anything stopping it?

dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:44 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
There are a few cars that are under the weight limit and don't need supplemental braking systems. Here's one popular model:
Click image for larger version

Name:	shriners.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	810.2 KB
ID:	64933

But seriously, I'm with you. Buying a $100 tow bar from Harbor Freight and super gluing it to the plastic bumper of your mom's minivan is not going to cut it! I'm hoping to go the "cheap" route with my tow system, and I'm budgeting several thousand dollars (hoping to find used gear and cut that down a bit though). But that's just me... I'd rather spend money I don't have than to kill somebody.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:53 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP-EF
Engine: Cat C7 + Allison 3000PTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
There are a few cars that are under the weight limit and don't need supplemental braking systems. Here's one popular model:
Attachment 64933

But seriously, I'm with you. Buying a $100 tow bar from Harbor Freight and super gluing it to the plastic bumper of your mom's minivan is not going to cut it! I'm hoping to go the "cheap" route with my tow system, and I'm budgeting several thousand dollars (hoping to find used gear and cut that down a bit though). But that's just me... I'd rather spend money I don't have than to kill somebody.
The two I've seen so far have two door Jeep Wranglers, that's not a light vehicle. I get it, I'm not excited about paying $2k for a supplemental brake system, having to install it, plus having the cost of the tow bar and all that, but still...these folks are going to get skoolies permanently banned from the roads.
dbsoundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:03 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i'm under the weight limit except in idaho, for my cruising area.

no reason to go to idaho

next time i set up a toad, it will be bigger, with brakes.
Old 04-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We got a tow bar with a surge brake (ReadyBrake Elite), it's an all-in-one package for like $1500. Didn't want to deal with some possibly flakey motion or momentum-based brake applicator system, I wanted a mechanical attachment. It was pretty simple to install and its easy enough to hook up when we travel.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:44 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
We got a tow bar with a surge brake (ReadyBrake Elite), it's an all-in-one package for like $1500. Didn't want to deal with some possibly flakey motion or momentum-based brake applicator system, I wanted a mechanical attachment. It was pretty simple to install and its easy enough to hook up when we travel.
So how does the surge cause operation of the towed vehicles brakes?
Never mind, I looked it up. Looks promising.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote