Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-29-2016, 10:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Tub question

I plan on using my Bus/Tiny Home in retirement so while designing I have to bear in mind what I will be like in a decade or so. I have pins in my knees and feet so a tub is a must over a shower.

I had an idea but need to know if it's even advisable.

When I was looking at a few buses locally I noticed that the rear end is pretty high up off the ground. Could I cut a section if the floor out, make a sunken portion to house a tub that would only stick up about 2 feet above he floor and 2 feet below?

If it's possible that would accomplish two things, it would reduce the height I have to raise my legs to get into the tub, it would also allow me to put something over the tub when it's not in use like a simple box made of lightweight material.

Of course there would have to be a reinforced frame to hold the tub and it wouldn't be used while underway.

Has anyone built something like this?

BigPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:52 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
It's pretty common to bring a tub down lower in the frame, but you have to design it right. The way I read your question sounds like you want to hang the tub at the very end, so just be sure you're not messing with your departure angle of the vehicle if it's hanging super low.

If you're cutting floor rib members to get the tub to go through, think about how you'd reinforce a house (or a deck, like a hot tub!) floor joists to support the weight. If I were dropping a tub in one corner I'd cut the hole, attach a rim "joist" welded to the remaining frame members on the floor, and maybe do some structured angle brackets to hold the thing from flexing so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPaul View Post
I plan on using my Bus/Tiny Home in retirement so while designing I have to bear in mind what I will be like in a decade or so. I have pins in my knees and feet so a tub is a must over a shower.

I had an idea but need to know if it's even advisable.

When I was looking at a few buses locally I noticed that the rear end is pretty high up off the ground. Could I cut a section if the floor out, make a sunken portion to house a tub that would only stick up about 2 feet above he floor and 2 feet below?

If it's possible that would accomplish two things, it would reduce the height I have to raise my legs to get into the tub, it would also allow me to put something over the tub when it's not in use like a simple box made of lightweight material.

Of course there would have to be a reinforced frame to hold the tub and it wouldn't be used while underway.

Has anyone built something like this?
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Look around the builds here, a few people have done it. I'm thinking of the same thing since I'm 6'4" tall and want plenty of headroom in the shower. Several people have used a horse watering trough or similar tub that work great. Like aaron said, just make sure you properly engineer the support structure to hold the tub and maintain strength in the body framework. Shouldn't be too hard to do though. Check For Life Out Here | Tractor Supply Co. and other farm supply places for tubs that will work.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you both for the responses. At least I was sort of thinking of the right idea.

I like the idea of the tub from Tractor's supply too, seems like it would be decently cheap and I could get one big enough for me. I am "horizontally gifted".
Old 03-01-2016, 04:21 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Also remember that if the tub drops through the floor it will need a TON of insulation around it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:15 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Also remember that if the tub drops through the floor it will need a TON of insulation around it.
Yep. My tub is sunken and has nothing under it but the florida air. Definitely insulate under it!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Tell me what you think of this set up:

Build the frame to support the tub that supports the bottom and sides of the tub that is below the floor , steel angle pieces welded.

Box that frame with wood and then put down insulation, box it again in wood with about an inch between the wood layers for the insulation. Then you could put the metal tub in the wooden frame.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Personally, I would avoid any wood underneath. No matter how you treat it, it is going to swell, rot and do all the things wood is famous for in wet, nasty areas. Light gauge sheet metal over a steel frame will provide much better protection for the insulation and can be glued & screwed to a simple angle iron frame.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Good point Tango, and God forbid the bottom of the bus take a hit, a piece of debris would probably go thru the tub.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:14 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I don't know if you might have considered just putting in a custom shower with bench in it. I have destroyed knees from the military and even though I am able bodied enough to get around, I too will need a "less mobile user friendly" bathing apparatus, as I age. (I'ma fight getting older every step of the way though!)

I thought that with a bit wider, or longer shower base, and a built in seat, you wouldn't have to modify the structural integrity of your flooring, and you would still have the ability to step in and out rather easily.

Just a thought...

-Doc
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:18 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Yep. My tub is sunken and has nothing under it but the florida air. Definitely insulate under it!
Hey, do you have any more info on your sunken tub? I have to have part of my floor rebuilt and I'm thinking it would be relatively easy for them to put in a roughly 2' x 2' opening on the side between the back of the wheel well and the fuel tube, and I could put a tub here that would extend below the floor and add extra headroom in the shower. I'm thinking I might be able to get a 2'x3' step tub and cut it down, or get a custom tub made.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:20 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Hey, do you have any more info on your sunken tub? I have to have part of my floor rebuilt and I'm thinking it would be relatively easy for them to put in a roughly 2' x 2' opening on the side between the back of the wheel well and the fuel tube, and I could put a tub here that would extend below the floor and add extra headroom in the shower. I'm thinking I might be able to get a 2'x3' step tub and cut it down, or get a custom tub made.
lol man my tub is in my house.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
lol man my tub is in my house.

On my own once again!
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I don't see a problem with the sunken tub idea other than to point out that it might require a lift pump to empty the water. While I don't have a sunken tub I do have a "sunken" wet bath. I lowered the bath 7" (one staircase tread) and raised the roof a bit over the bath. Although the black tank has yet to be installed in the pic, the grey tank and lift pump (blue tank) can be seen. I boxed in the hole in the floor before dropping the wet bath in.
Jack

ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote