Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2018, 11:59 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Two questions about smaller conversions...

Hey!

As per the title, I have two questions about smaller conversions. For what it's worth, I'm still weighing between vans, box trucks, and short buses.

1. Which vehicles in this size category are the easiest to do a roof raise on? Are there any examples of people accomplishing this?
(I looked around and only found a 47' Chevy with a roof raise. It looked great, but I'm leaning more towards newer vehicles based on van or truck bodies. I've had people really discourage me trying to do a roof raise on a box truck, but it seems like an ideal choice since it's quite square. I wouldn't use the box as structure, just as a "skin" on a frame I construct inside the box myself.)
2. Are vehicles based on 'modern' van/truck bodies (i.e. Ford E/F-X50) significantly easier and cheaper to get serviced?
(My impression is that a lot of people don't want to work on older or larger bus parts, and that sometimes it can be really hard to find the right things. I'd assume things built out of trucks or vans from ~1990+ would be fairly easy to find components for.)

scapegoatwax is offline   Reply With Quote