Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #1

Year: 87
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Econoline
Engine: 351
U.S laws for passengers with no official seats

Hello,
I'm brand news to this forum and am so grateful that this network exists....amazing.

I'm wondering if anyone could help with some information regarding laws in the U.S as well as the U.S/Canada border regarding school bus conversions.
I'm headed to Burning man and am going to be crossing the border from Canada to the U.S in a short bus with 8 people. Aside from the driver there are no seats in the bus and obviously therefore no seat-belts, and so people would just be on the bed and on the floor while driving. We are going to be going through Washington, Oregon, California and Nevada. Does anyone know if am I going to run into any legal issues either crossing the border or being pulled over on the way?? I've been told that there is certain features that need to be installed to make a school bus legally an RV, and therefore exempt from seat-belts laws....anyone ever heard of this???

Any info would be great...

Thanks,

~Jesse

jugglinjesse is offline   Reply With Quote